• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch problems!!!!

rpollitt01

I just bought a 67 Kaiser Deuce and my winch appears to be broken. As you can see from the picture, it seems someone has let it run all the way in while attached to the bumper. You cant really see but the plate the runs across the top is bent and the bolt on the bottom is bent.

The shear pin is missing, PTO seems to be working fine w/ no noise. Just wondering where to find a parts breakdown and looking for input from anyone one else on where to go from here.

My plans are to get it off the truck and open it up. Hopefully nothing else is damaged but not likely....I cant even get the cable to release and pull out..

Let me know if you know of a source for parts/ help...

Thanks

Ryan

Attachments

chicklin

This is all covered in the TM's (technical manuals). Parts breakdown, troubleshooting, operation.

How do you know there is anything wrong with it? Every winch I've seen, the top plate is bent, that doesn't mean anything is broken. Get a 9/32 bolt to put in as a temporary shear pin. Check the fluids on it and run it in and out a little bit. If it works, save yourself the trouble of taking it all apart.

rpollitt01

I have checked my manuals and all I can find is section 78-1....In TM. Handle is stuck (very little movement). And shouldnt I be able to pull it out freely once the pin is released?

chicklin

There is a locking lever on the passenger side to unlock the drum. The clutch handle on the same side (but closer to the grill) controls whether or not the drive gear and the drum are engaged. For free spooling, the locking lever needs to be unlocked and the clutch needs to be in the "Out" position. You should then be able to unwind your cable.

The -34P should have the parts breakdown of the winch, I would think.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

cbvet

Winch may actually be fine.
Replace shear pin, put PTO in a neutral position, unlock drum, disengage winch (out) & try turning the drive collar with a strap or pipe wrench.
If it turns both ways, then engage the winch (in) & try winding & unwinding cable.
If that works you're probably OK. The shear pin did it's job.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Besure and check that the back plate on the winch is not into the radiator.
When I got my truck someone had bird nested the cable and the lock for the lever in the back was into the radiator.
Good luck!!

Attachments

Last edited:

combat32

First get a big club to beat her with, oh, you said winch I thought you said wench. Some closeup pics might help, front, rear, side we might be able to tell what is goin on or not goin on.

Last edited:

mhb285

It looks like its under tension & locked up,right & You can't move the lever cuz it's under tension?.... Cut a link in the chain & watch out! BE CAREFULL!

KsM715

If its that tight already I doubt the drum lock pin is in. It would be awfully lucky to get the holes lined up while its under tension. I bet the cable is just bound against itself.

rpollitt01

Yeah it seems like its under preassure. Can I safely remove the shackle pin? The previous owner said it worked fine the last time he used it....I'm going outside to work on it now....Keep the suggestions coming...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That cable looks pretty bad. I'd cut it with a torch and replace it.

KsM715

If it is under tension, why not unwind it by rotating the input yoke? The shear pin is already out.
:ditto: Move the pto shaft out of the way and try to spin the winch in reverse. Loosen up the drum enough to get the hook off the shackle without any tension on it. Once its loose release the clutch on the winch, double check to see the drum lock pin is out and hook the winch onto another vehicle and pull the cable out that way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks