• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch problems!!!!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
looked like the chain and end fitting are pulled past the lower cross tie rod and wedged behind it

rpollitt01

Nope. I thought you might have concluded that. It does appear that way from the picture. Thats why I askes, wast sure if I was missing something. I'm going to get a bolt and try to back it off from the cab first...

KsM715

How did you try to unwind it with the come-along? Hooked to the chain and just started pulling? If the clutch is still in (and stuck in because its under tension) the drum will not turn. The clutch has to be out in order for the drum to "free-wheel". Otherwise your just pulling against the worm gear.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can also drive the pin out that connects the cable to the chain. That may help.

steelandcanvas

Can I safely remove the shackle pin?
When I bought my truck it had the same problem. A few friends and I just punched the shackle pin out and all was good. Be extremely careful! We strapped down the hook just in case it wanted to go somewhere we didn't want it to go. There is alot of tension, but with everything being so heavy, nothing moved very far.

chicklin

I might have missed it (it's late), but why can't you use the PTO to remove the tension again? Stick a temporary shear pin in, make sure the drum lock is disengaged and see if you can run it out enough to take the tension off. Looks like your clutch is already in the IN position, right?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....................... I'm going to get a bolt and try to back it off from the cab first...
Looking at your pics nothing seems really out of place. Only thing is that that wire rope (+ chain) was wound-in the wrong way, that is UNDER the drum, with the PTO put- or left - in REVERSE! So, now you want to slowly un-spool it by shifting the PTO into LOW. But first put a good load on that hook, like tying it to a big tree and slowly pulling with the truck moving backwards, to keep good tension on that rope.
Have a helper watching from a safe distance!

G.

KsM715

:shock: Good eye G. Bet he would have liked to known that last night. Wonder if thats how it got that way to begin with. Someone got confused and when they got to the point of trying to just snug it up and forgot the winch controls were backwards.

KsM715

I might have missed it (it's late), but why can't you use the PTO to remove the tension again? Stick a temporary shear pin in, make sure the drum lock is disengaged and see if you can run it out enough to take the tension off. Looks like your clutch is already in the IN position, right?

Yep. post 22.

After reading gringles post I hope he wasn't able to get a pin in it last night to try or he might have even more problems this morning.

rpollitt01

I did read it....Thanks for all the help guys!....I'm going to try to back it out today. But I cant put tension on the cable because it is pulled tight to the bumper...Cant get it loose. That is the whole issue!...I'll keep you posted...

mikey

I would anchor the hook to a tree with a tow rope or chain and remove the shackle pin if you can. If you have access to a tree on a bit of an incline so you can slowly roll backwards and use the weight of the vehicle to anchor it, that would be even better.

mudguppy

the shackle is trash, might as well torch it off rather than spend 30 minutes banging on it. besides, you can torch it while standing on the outside of the shackle - so if the hook/chain wants to release, you won't be in the line of fire.

rpollitt01

Just got it free!...Went up and got a bolt and it backed right out...DUH!...I sure do feel a little silly for panicing and almost removing that big ol' winch!....Thanks again for all who helped...Looks cool with the chain drooping across the fromt!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very good!
Now do yourself a favor and read the TMs. Then inspect every component and its function, especially the rope all the way to where it goes attached to the drum. Check if the end sticks in there in the correct direction!
Eventually replace that wire rope, it has seen better days....!

G.

KsM715

Great, now if you haven't done so already unwind the cable all the way to the end like gringletaube said and get pics if possible just to satisfy the curiosity that I know everyone has.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks