• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch Teardown Q

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you missing the whole drum lock or is just the threaded part broken? You can add a new threaded rod by grinding the end of the lock smooth, drilling it, tapping it, and inserting a piece of all-thread (with loctite). I've fixed several this way.

JCKnife

Are you missing the whole drum lock or is just the threaded part broken? You can add a new threaded rod by grinding the end of the lock smooth, drilling it, tapping it, and inserting a piece of all-thread (with loctite). I've fixed several this way.
No, it's the other end, the interior end, that is badly bent sideways.

JCKnife

OK this is looking ahead a little, but let's talk about the orientation of the automatic brake case assembly on the right-hand end of the winch. My two winches have them oriented differently. One has the adjusting screw on the bottom, and the other one has it on the right side. I figured one of them must be wrong, BUT looking at the TM it actually shows BOTH orientations on different pages of the same process. Attached are pics from TM9-2320-209-34-2-3 pages 18-30 and 18-32.

Is one correct or does it not matter?

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's six to one, half a dozen to the other....:smile:

I have found them both ways; also after depot-rebuilt.
FWIW; in the "down" position you can better read the dataplate..... and it would be more difficult to loose the adjusting screw, should it come all the way out of the nut...
NOT enough reasons for me to NOT install them sideways.

G.

Attachments

JCKnife

Cracked open the brake case assembly on winch #2 and found...WATER! A couple cups of it came pouring out. Then sludge, oil, and sandy grit. Fun, fun!

Hopefully the other winch won't have that problem, but both of them have leaking seals everywhere and will all be replaced.

JCKnife

After seeing the water I had to open the brake box on the other winch. No water in that one but a LOT of rust and grime. I have an e-mail in to George at White Owl to see if he carries those brake bands. If not does anyone else have them?

Also, I see a wide range of prices for the 6309 worm gear bearings--from $20 to $80. Any preferred maker / vendor of those?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may have a good used band if you need it.

I replaced one bearing on my winch (don't remember which one). Got it from NAPA. I don't remember the price but it was fairly high and I later found it a lot cheaper on line.

JCKnife

I appreciate that. One of them looks re-usable and the other one is flat-out shot. Let me see if I can source a new one and if not I'll sure take you up on that.

JCKnife

Hopefully this is the last big challenge of this operation but any tips for getting the worm drive out? The TM says "tap" it with a rawhide mallet. I don't have one of those. I bounced a rubber mallet off it a few times and then switched to a BFH with a piece of 2x4 in between to cushion the blow. I have not budged it a millimeter, as far as I can tell. It looks like maybe someone has installed the bearings with RTV / silicone or something.

It seems counter-intuitive to be hammering on the worm drive before the drum shaft gear is removed, but that's what the TM says. Also I've tried pulling out the drum gear ass'y and it won't come out, I guess until the worm drive is loose enough to lift up off of it and disengage it.

Any advice appreciated. Still waiting to hear from White Owl about the brake band, too.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...............It seems counter-intuitive to be hammering on the worm drive before the drum shaft gear is removed, but that's what the TM says. Also I've tried pulling out the drum gear ass'y and it won't come out, I guess until the worm drive is loose enough to lift up off of it and disengage it......
Yes, the worm must be out before you can pull the drum gear & shaft.
It already is a relatively tight fit - AL housing to bearings, but here it's probably just rust not loctite, that holds it in place. Support the housing firmly and use a bigger hammer and a good piece of brass or copper in your other hand, always protecting the shaft end with some kind of bushing. The worm is soft steel and may easily deform if you hit it directly by accident.
Always keep the gear pressed against the worm in the direction you want it to come out. (maybe a little help from Soldier B...).
If still nothing, then carefully apply heat to the housing - AL expands a lot - and try again.
It WILL come out!

G.

JCKnife

Thanks, G. I did hear back from White Owl, they do not have the brake bands. They have the lining and rivets kit but one of my bands is so badly rusted, I feel it needs replaced. Was told Sam Winer Motors might have them, sent an e-mail. Never heard of them before!

JCKnife

Got the worm gear out! The BFH never did work but I finally figured out how to situate it on the arbor press and it pressed out like butter. That drive gear--is that brass? That's one of the prettiest pieces of machinery I've ever seen. Things are moving along nicely. I'll have both winches ready by spring, with ease.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
................ figured out how to situate it on the arbor press and it pressed out like butter.......
Ahh... you didn't say you had an arbor press, did you...?:)
Glad you found a much better, non-destructive method...

BTW, that's always my first thought when it comes to install press-fit parts like bearings, bushings, seals; or a shaft in place - or pressing it out, in this case.

G.

Jeepjake

Winch parts if you need some

JCKnife,
I have several housings ends, a drum lock poppit, and used brake bands. If you need parts, send me a PM with a place to send em to.

Cheers
Jeep

JCKnife

Would you (jcknife) happen to have the part number for the worm gear bearings, that you got from napa. Thank you ,Tim
I did not get them from NAPA, I got them from White Owl and I don't recall a part #. But G had listed it in another thread...I'll find it here...

JCKnife

I haven't worked on these winches for a while but I'm getting to the point of re-assembly. I've noticed, though, that one of the bushing-type bearings inside the drum is fairly scored. The TM shows these as removable but I'm not immediately seeing how...

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks