• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

windshield glass replacement

jeli

My passanger glass is busted. I got the frame off the truck and it looks like the top hinge should pop off to get to the glass. It doesn't want to move and I'm afraid of messing up the frame. Am I on the right track?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just screws in the sides and the frame should kind of spread apart. The gaskets on the glass down inside the frame might be holding it together.

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
It sounds like you might have pushed the window out and left the top part of the channel in the frame still mounted to the truck. I recently did both sides of mine and the upper hinges were mounted with 1/4 inch screws. I think there are about 6 or seven per glass.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
O.k. gang, I am rehabbing my windshields too. I took the 7 or so screws out to get the window hinge separated from the frame. I got the hinge slid apart. I took the single flat head screw with acorn nut off. The two flat head screws under the acorn nut are too rusted to remove. Do I need to drill them out to get the old glass out? I am taking pics so that it is documented. Thanks for the help.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How are the frames? My experience has always been that the frames rust out before the glass needs replacement. It's been a while since I took one apart but I had one heck of a time getting the seal to let go od the glass. I finally gave up and bought complete windshields.

pa.rich

I had an awful time with my 52 M211 frames. Most all the screws broke off frames had rust in the channels, etc. Soooo, scrape, sand drill prime, paint, and have auto glass man put new glass in and reinstall. Looks good and works well. Very time consuming, but thats part of restoring these ol things. :D

pa.rich

Oh and to answer your question about the screws, when mine broke off, I took a grinder and ground the area flat, then took a sharp centerpunch, carefully punched it and drilled it out . If I remember rite, they were threaded in , but I had to drill through and put a nut on the other side. Two each windshield if I remember rite. One lubricant/rust eater I recomend is P.B. Blaster, I had good res ults and faster than others I have used. Obviously , miracles dont always happen with rust.

gimpyrobb

They are in good shape metal wise. The glass is just wasted. I will go after the seal with a hook blade here in a bit. Thanks for the heads up.

gimpyrobb

Well the answer yes, all six need to come out before you can get the top off. Now I know how to take the other one apart with out destroying the top channel.

Sumoman

One of mine is just rusted a bit, can I just scrap the rust off, dry it, seal it with rust / paint and use some cheap water-proofing? Ok yes I could but is it a good idea?

rivired

I just got done doing this..ive found that the "setting tape" that is used around the edges of the glass is hard to find around my parts.

other than that i got some nice replacments from speedy glass. $60 for both peices.

saturn surplus sells the top section with entire hinge for 30 somthin $

However they are currently out of stock on the Main part of the frame.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks