• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winter is coming... Ether start questions!

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Winter is coming, and we will get periods as low as -20°F around here, with brief lows even worse. I have a couple questions about the ether start and cold weather use.

1.) This 3116 engine has glow plugs, correct? There is no dash indicator, like I'm used to.
2.) Is there any way to tell if my ether canister is empty?
3.) Where do I get replacement ether canisters? Is that a custom military part, or something CAT / other trucks use?
4.) How often do people actually have to use the ether start, in below-zero weather?

Anything else I should know? Advice?

Thanks!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
1 and 4 don't have a FMTV, so don't know
2 Shake it
3 Common, any large truck shop or Cat dealer will have them usually in the 30 to $40 range.

FloridaAKM

#1 If they fitted the engine with an ether injector such as the LMTV series is with the 3116 engine, it can't have glow plugs!
#2 You canister is probably empty like the rest of us with surplus LMTV's, but you might be the lucky one & have some left!
#3 There are dealers who have cases of ether canisters for sale.........I'll not repeat them here.
#4 Floridians don't know what below zero weather is.....;-)!

Lmtv772

Banned
OP, my advice to you is to start reading the TM's There is all you need to know inside.
to help you out now:

1.) No glow plugs on a Cat engine
2.) the best way to tell is to replace it, most likely it's empty anyway
3.) call or go to NAPAonline.com
4.) everytime

PM me if you have any more questions

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely need to read the operators manual; glow plugs and ether assist start system DO NOT exist on the same engine. Big truck parts house carry replacement ether bottles. You may want to invest in a block heater for your CAT, not to expensive, easy to install. Plug in the night before you want to start the truck and it will start right up. Better have good batteries also.

tburk49760

Having operated my Lmtv through a fairly cold Spokane winter as a near drink driver, this is what I've learned. It will start to about 15 degrees without ether but will slobber a lot! Keep a spare canister on hand. NAPA has them in stock. I start using it sparingly at about 35 degrees. Just a quick half second squirt then as needed in half second intervals after it starts and begins to run very rough again. I have an oil heater on mine but generally don't use it unless it's below zero. Running with little to no oil pressure when the oil is as thick as tar is unhealthy for it... I run 15/40 synthetic Schaffer.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having operated my Lmtv through a fairly cold Spokane winter as a near drink driver, this is what I've learned. It will start to about 15 degrees without ether but will slobber a lot! Keep a spare canister on hand. NAPA has them in stock. I start using it sparingly at about 35 degrees. Just a quick half second squirt then as needed in half second intervals after it starts and begins to run very rough again. I have an oil heater on mine but generally don't use it unless it's below zero. Running with little to no oil pressure when the oil is as thick as tar is unhealthy for it... I run 15/40 synthetic Schaffer.
If you have a electric controlled ether start system it doesn't matter how long you hold the button as it is a metered spay and only sprays a minimal of ether each time you push it.

For question 2 of post #1. You can weight the cylinder to determine how much is left .

from Quick Starts website (Quick Start Ether Cylinders come in several sizes for different applications. To determine amount of ether remaining, weigh just the cylinder. Subtract the empty cylinder weight. 8oz cylinder: .63 lbs / 18oz cylinder: .88 lbs / 22oz cylinder: .95 lbs. Approximately 39 cc of ether per ounce of weight remains.)

http://quickstart-ether.com/products/cylinders/

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your going to be starting the truck a lot in sub zero temps and want the engine to live as long as possible you need to put a frost plug type electric heater on it and plug it in at night. This will do a few things for you, and all good! It will warm the entire engine as the warmed water is now inside the block, it will greatly reduce your use of Ether (which if used wrong will most definitely kill an engine)! And you will have in cab heat as soon as the engine starts! Look hard at adding this to your truck it will pay great dividends in the long run!
Karl

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find a Zerostart catalog, commercial part. Find a big truck parts house near you, go in and introduce yourself and tell them what you have (truck and engine type).
They will be your new best friends.
JC

walshjuice

When exactly do you press the ether button? While pressing the starter or wait until the engine is kicking out the smoke screen, then press? I have a block heater and it works great but we are planning on some winter camping where that kind of wattage isn't available. I just got a fresh bottle and want to make sure I do things correctly. I didn't see specific instructions in the operator's manual. Thanks!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
And here I was under the impression that either used with glow plug engine types can make a engine dead, goes boom.

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When exactly do you press the ether button?
Press and hold the ether button, just after you press the starter button (after it has rotated the engine a couple times). It will deliver a single measured ether charge, then stop adding ether even if you continue to hold the button. If you're not getting any reaction after holding the ether button for several seconds, you can release and press it again, while cranking.

And here I was under the impression that either used with glow plug engine types can make a engine dead, goes boom.
These engines DON'T have glow plugs.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A tiny squeeze bottle with a little gas in it is lots easier on a Diesel than ether.

That is, if you can get it into the intake without too much hassle.

DG

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Myself I would just go to a auto parts store and buy a starting fluid stand in the door and give a quick shot right in the intake that is right there. Yes block water heaters are good and I also like magnetic oil pan heaters easy to put on and off. The other thing is what Trans. fluid you are running. ATF is more forgiving that the motor oil and if I remember with motor oil Allison called for 100* Trans. oil temp before driving. Myself I still have oil and running just fine and I give mine a 20 min. trans, oil warm up on both 1088 and 915A2.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks