• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winter Tires

edpdx

What are you guys running in winter for snow and Ice... assuming you change at all? I have used the Hankook and the bridgestone Blizzaks; but not on a Blazer. The Silent Armour tires I have on have pretty decent tread still. Any reason to get a snow/ice tire for my first m1009 winter?

What are you using?

WARWAG

Depends on the area you live in and the winter conditions you get OR go to. I run all over the US all year long and in fact just drove home to 12" of snow and it hasnt let up since I arrived. Last year I ran Cooper MTs that were sipped and they did very well! Better than I expected. Last winter I ran Blizzks on my 1 ton Dodge and they did very well but not when I was towing my snowcat. They did ok. No replacment for Pewag chains! This year im running the new Goodyear Dura Trac tires. Ive had them on for about 2,000 miles and have run them in heavy rains. They have performed better than I expected and in fact excellently! Tomorrow will see them running into town before the plows get out im sure. There should be about 24" here at least (im at 7,000 feet and we get alot of snow). In fact I think Im gonna go out for a spin. Well I hope not for a "spin".

WARWAG

This year on my personal Dodge 1 ton Im running BFG All Terrains. I agree they are pretty much the standard for which a great snow tire is compared to. I think the Goodyear Dura Tracs (on my Chevy 1 ton work truck) will be even better from what I have experienced so far off road and wet highways. But time will tell for the snowy icey roads we get here. They would be a great tire for a M1009 for sure! So would the BFG ATs

Last edited:

JPDC

I put a set of Kuhmo Road Venture AT's on mine for last winter (through the blizzards we had in the DC area). They were great. Plowed with them and never got stuck. Pulled about 20 other guys out through the 3 storms we had. Not too expensive and have been great! :D

WARWAG

I have a snowcat business. I tow snowcats all over duringfthis time of year. I have used Blizzaks which are great snow tires and are supposed to give you the same traction as a tire with studs. They come close and are very good. But on the back roads I usually have to access with my truck and trailer combo I have found the BFG ATs to out perform the Blizzaks. The blizzaks are great for about 1/2" OF SNOW COVERED roads. with a icey base. If the snow is deeper then the ATs will usually out perform them. When the road is icey I just chain up since towing a trailer is like an anchor. Living in a heavy snow environment and towing under the worst conditions I think I know a good snow tire when I see one. The BFG ATs are a great tire for winter use. Are there better? Sure. I think the Dura Tracs may be. But for someone just wanting to have a good snow tire but still beable to go off road then the BFGs are a great tire for that!

Stihl029

Right now I am running BFG Commerial T/A Traction on the CUCV. Pretty good bite in the snow and clean themselves well. Make sure though that if you look into these, that you emphasize "Traction". The regular commercial T/A's are more of an highway tread.

Commercial T/A Traction | BFGoodrich Tires

WOW those look alot like the old Goodyear work horse tyres. I loved those things for snow and ice, plus they were studable.

Here in Kodiak, we get the snow, sleet, rain freeze then repeat from late october till may. The Workhorse tyres were it but since they are no longer manufactured in the sizes and varieties they once were people have switched to BFG AT KO they are awesome in this wet slick ice where we assend and decend hills at 14% grade from sea level to 1000 foot plus on a daily comute to and from work. The tyres are popular becuase they work, oh and the drivers don't blame their tyres for their lack of driving talents here... unless they just came from the lower 48. :p

Phily

General Grabber AT2 is the best AT tire out there IMO.

Deep snow/offroad I would do KM2's on a m1008/m1010/m1028/etc
M1009 I'd do Baja Claws.

Last edited:

NMC_EXP

I've become real partial to the General Grabber AT2. Agressive tread but quiet at road speed. Have not had them in mud but they do great in snow and on 4WD trails in the Rockies. The M1009 is the 3rd vehicle I've had them on.

Cost less than BFG and a lot of other off road tires.

Regards

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks