• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wisconsin dot to propose mv ban

CatMan

Wis DOT

When we crafted the Historic Military Vehicle bill in WI , it looked like municipalities would be prohibited from using former military vehicles as emergency government vehicles. We didn't want to eliminate a source of used ex military vehicles for private collectors in the future.

We lobbied the DOT and got them to agree that former military vehicles used by the state DNR and local counties, small cities and rural fire departments don't put many road miles on and are limited to there local municipal boundres and that satisfied the DOT. When used by municipalitiies they are "self limiting". Great! So we can keep buying them at local auctions.

That is why the trucks are specificly exempted from other restrictions and allowed under the HMV bill.

So I'll see you at the next county highway department surplus equipment auction. I'll be bidding on that "Old Army Truck" in the back row.

Cat Man

Tanner

Correct, the "parade" bill also has a provision which exempts municipalities. This would still seem to be in direct conflict with WisDOT's current mis-interpretation of s.341.10(6), which is where the whole milveh prohibition in Wisconsin effort began.

Milvehs are too unsafe to operate on public highways, unless they are operated by public employees. That's why the bill included no provisions for providing training for those employees.

If this makes no sense to you, then that makes 2 of us. But that's the way it was passed.

If you are a private owner, only the bill which I pushed for allows you to haul loads, and unfortunately that law only makes provisions for four specific vehicles. Sorry, but that's what happened.

Paul
So muni MV's get to haul loads, but civvy MV's cannot... nice. And why would the Legislature want to allow changes to this law down the road? My bet is that the law will remain intact, and future requests for changes to allow less restrictions by civilians will be ignored...

'Tanner'

themadride

It's a shame I like cold weather, because WI and states like it make me want to vomit. I guess I will be forced to stay in the South.

And, I'm not trying to start something, as I am quite new here, but it never ceases to amaze me when people from other countries input the "you should be thankful" or "it could be worse so get over it" type argument to an issue.

I see that sort of thing all the time.

"I speak 7 languages in Poland so you should be willing to learn 2."
"My tax rate in Belgium is 57% so you should be thankful you only pay 35%."
Etc. etc.

All my life I have heard that Americans are arrogant, but I don't think there are many Americans posting on a French message board our opinions on French laws pertaining to French citizens.

It's only a matter of time before regular duty trucks are limited in what they can do legally. Mark my words.
I think they want us all driving smart cars and living in energy efficient apartments. God forbid you haul wood and burn it at home on your land. God forbid!

silence

Out with the old in with the new

Trying to stop such a ban will not be easy. Your dear uncle sammy is in complete support of such ideas. There is currently a nation wide movement aimed at getting rid of old iron. No old iron means you have to spend more money for newer vehicles which will in turn help create more jobs so more people can pay taxes.

Old iron is drying up in some places. I just shipped a core engine block from Nebraska to Florida.
Over $500 worth of shipping on a core cylinder block??? Man said the governor is getting rid of most salvage yards. Using the EPA to shut them down. There is no possible way I would pay a total cost of over $600 for a core 391 Ford truck block.

Even the Iowa and Nebraska farmers are being harrased about old iron. Farmers are being made to dispose old farm equipment if it is not hidden in a barn.

If you all agree to buy new computerized diesel engines that consume less fuel and emit fewer emissions you can keep your MVs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks