• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wisconsin dot to propose mv ban

tamangel

I tagged mine on Thursday just to get grandfathered in. Just in case......
Paul in Janesville, Wis
let's hope that 'grandfathering' is what will happen if it becomes law.. From the document on Trans-123:

3 sections of interest from the 'trans-123' document:

"...Trans 123.06 Grandfathered nonconforming vehicles. Notwithstanding any
provision of this chapter that might otherwise prohibit registration, the owner of any
vehicle that is registered in this state on the effective date of this section may renew that registration and may change the type of
registration. This section applies only until the owner shown on department records on
the effective date of this section is removed from department records as an owner of the vehicle. ..."

and

"...Current law also requires the Department to suspend registration if it discovers
that the registrant does not or cannot register the vehicle properly, and to cancel
registration and title if it discovered that law prohibits the issuance or possession of a title
or registration...."

and

"(2) Title or registration obtained in another state does not conclusively establish the
vehicle’s eligibility for title and registration issued by Wisconsin. The Department shall
independently assess whether a vehicle is eligible for registration under the laws of this
state."

Mike W

here's the meeting info: (verify to make sure all info is correct/current)

Room 254 of the Hill Farms State Transportation Building,
4802 Sheboygan Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin
on the 29th July, 2009, at 10:00 AM

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/about/locate/hf.htm

Last edited:

Verkstad

I tagged mine on Thursday just to get grandfathered in. Just in case......
Paul in Janesville, Wis
Would not surprise me if part of the reasons this proposal is some kind of revenue generating scheme.

With folks paranoid & paying for a "better safe than sorry" game on dis-used clunkers and future project on the off chance they will get grandfathered as valid titles if this BS legislation passes to law.
Could run into lots of money for vehicle licenses that'll not be put on the road for some time (if ever)

JeremyB

People pleas keep in mind that this is the same group of state reps that at this current time proposed to put all the water in America under FEDRAL controle,for our saftey....;-)

Tanner

WisDot

Concern I would have would be over future titling of a sold vehicle... will future Buyer have trouble changing title over in his/her name on a 'grandfathered' vehicle title on previous owner?

Fight the good fight Folks! But be professional & a class act!

'Tanner'

tamangel

here's the meeting info: (verify to make sure all info is correct/current)

Room 254 of the Hill Farms State Transportation Building,
4802 Sheboygan Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin
on the 29th July, 2009, at 10:00 AM
How'd it go or maybe it's still going...?

Mike W

skinnedknuckles

The hearing seemed to go good. We filled the small meeting room to standing room only with 60+ people. They , of course, did not expect as many to attend. Everyone either opposed this ban (majority) or they wanted more information (very few). Quite a few of us voiced our opinion including Jeff Rowsam (mvpa) and Paul Underwood (Wis. Pinz)and Jay Ferris ( from the office of one of the lawmakers ). They did an excellent job representing us right at the beginning. The rest of us added and strengthened what they said. The meeting lasted about 3 hours and was very professional! Much was discussed. We have until Friday the 31 at 4:30 to email any more opinions to the DOT. According to the rule, grandfathering will be good for those with tags already but not for purchasers after IF/WHEN this current text of the proposed rule becomes law. But like was discussed in the hearing this proposal is VERY BROAD and VAGUE and needs to be totally revised!
On to the next step....Wish us luck!
Paul in Janesville,Wis

ABN173

Thanks for your efforts Paul, I am curious though, what the Federal stance on this is? I mean if such a law gets passed in WI it would not be absurd to think other states could follow I mean what would that do to government surplus sales? I know it is not a massive amount of money but I'm sure there is some money recuperated whereas otherwise the government would be stuck paying to have vehicles just scrapped.

Michael

But like was discussed in the hearing this proposal is VERY BROAD and VAGUE and needs to be totally revised!
On to the next step....Wish us luck!
Paul in Janesville,Wis
It doesn't need to be revised, it needs to be dropped. Did they say anything to indicate why they think this needs to be addressed? ie was there any back and forth discussion, or did they just sit there and listen?

Norseland

This may seem odd but in Illinois ABATE the motorcycle group is very strong and knows who to talk to in your state capital, Contact Wisconsin ABATE!!! Bikers will most certainly side w/ you! and they may take up your fight. Illinois ABATE destroyed the motorcycle ban on Lake Shore Drive! I'm telling you get a hold of those guys cause their membership money already has politicians on thier side, and they can talk w/ them and hopefully shoot this thing down.

Most ABATE's especialy in non helmet states as wisconsin have alot of pull, try, you may be suprised, Good Luck.

john

undysworld

Hi Again,

OK, here's the latest: As of tonight, a second Wis. Pinzgauer owner is again being refused registration until he can provide a picture of the vehicle's NHTSA label. Of course, DOT knows perfectly well that Pinzgauers don't have such a label. DOT did not provide the statute upon which this determination was made.

This is the authorization which the currently proposed Trans 123 would give the DOT. They DO NOT have such statutory authorization yet.

DOT was also told by the court in my appeal (over my Pinzgauer title/license), that: "The Department has not shown that Mr. Underwood's Pinzgauer was originally designed and manufactured for off-highway operation. Accordingly, the titling and registration of his vehicle is not prohibited by Wis. Stat. 341.10(6).".

Every Wisconsin citizen should be up in arms (pardon the phrase) over this waste of taxpayers' money. :evil::evil::evil:

ABN173

Like many of us I received the e-mail from Government Liquidation today saying this:
Dear Valued Customer:

Many of you have heard recently about a new Wisconsin regulation, which would prohibit military vehicles manufactured after 1967 from being registered or titled in the State of Wisconsin. This regulation is known as Trans 123 and appears to be based on requirements identified in the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966 (the "Act"), although it also appears to go well beyond the language in the Act. The Military Vehicle Preservation Association has been instrumental in fighting this rulemaking and monitoring the rulemaking in other states. We encourage those who are concerned about their ability to register and title military vehicles to contact the Military Vehicle Preservation Association www.mvpa.org to learn more about how you can stop regulations that would prohibit these historic and useful vehicles from traveling the nation's roads and highways.

Warmest Regards,

Government Liquidation

My two cents just faxed:

Governor Jim Doyle,

Sir, I have read your letter to veterans on official state website and I take a couple of things away from it: "Wisconsin is a state with a proud military history and a tradition of honoring the remarkable men and women who have made great sacrifices to serve their country." and also "Our veterans have earned our greatest respect and admiration, and deserve the best services and benefits that our nation and state can offer."

If you're sincere about this then you should take a closer look at the proposed "Trans 123" bill.

Sir, I am a career service member with three deployments under my belt, I also have a fourth coming up. There are many of us veterans and service members that have an interesting hobby, that of collecting ex-military vehicles. Trans 123 seeks to ban this. I think this is a disservice to those of us who have served and continue to serve our great country. Of course I understand some may have safety concerns but I can assure you we are not talking about driving a sherman tank down the roads of Wisconsin. Mostly it is guys with modest 2.5 ton or perhaps 5ton vehicles, I myself have a small 1 1/4 ton Chevrolet pick-up truck otherwise known as a M1008 that has, like myself, seen service in Southwest Asia. Almost all of us collectors are responsible and mature, with safety being a foremost concern, not just for ourselves but also for the citizens of the United States of America that we have helped protect. I might also add that Wisconsin is the only state that seems to be reading so much more than is written or intended in the National Traffic and Motor Safety Act of 1966. Also a final thought I leave you with, as I near retirement I know one state I will not be moving to.

With Regards,
CW2 Dale Campbell

ABN,
Unfortunately, the only way Gov. Doyle will read a letter is if it is written on the back of a check, a large check. I do applaud your effort in this matter as well as your service to this country. I would hope any government servant would take a letter, such as yours, to heart.
Thank you,
Greg

CatMan

Here is the latest information on our efforts to defeat the proposed Trans 123 rule.

The DOT is meeting this week to consider the public comments from the hearing in July and from written and e mail comments sent in to the DOT.

We will monitor the results and take the next step.

We continue to encourage state residents to contact the DOT secretary and to contact thier state representatives and ask them to contact the DOT and voice their voters opposition (Thanks to those of you who have contacted the state - it is making a difference!)

We (MVPA) met with GL at the MVPA convention to give them the details - Thats were their E mail to customers came from.

We have spread the word to the old car hobby as well and that gets up some bigger numbers. They have a dog in this fight too. Namely Street Rods, Kit Cars and modified cars. They are in the same catagory as the military trucks according to the state DOT - Non Conforming.

We have also distributed information about the Trans 123 proposal at the American Legion State Convention in Milwaukee to get them calling and writing if they want us in the next Memorial Day parade.

As soon as we find out what the DOT intends to do next , we will act on their move. They can drop the proposal, modify the proposal and send to committee for approval or send it to committee as is for approval or rejection as is.

At the same time, we have been working with the transportation committee in the state legislature to create a bill that would add a specific definition for Historic Military Vehicles under the current Wis Collector Licence Plate law. The bill has a sponsor and the final draft should be out later this week. We expect it will make it to the legislature in the fall session. IF passed, it would override the DOT rule trans 123 as far as allowing military trucks over 20 years old and with the other limitations of collector plate. Not unrestricted use but at least lets us keep them under the collector rules. This is similar to what has been done in Kansas, Ohio, Florida and other states as far as collector vehicles.

When we get the draft of the bill and it has a number and a name we will post that information so you can call your representative to support it.

We are also working with SEMA and their legislative action network to pressure the State DOT.

I'll post more information when we see what the DOT does next.

Cat Man

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks