• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wisconsin Legislature Passes HMV Bill

undysworld

Just got home and read the further details. Thanks to all who clarified. For those of you for whom 404 addresses your registration needs, I'm glad that you've gotten your bill passed. Congratulations.

For those of us for whom that bill does not address our registration needs, I hope that you will be as supportive of the passage of SB392/AB589 as it next progresses through the state Asssembly and hopefully on to Gov. Doyle.

Although some people have expressed their veiw that this bill is bad (because it creates an "approved list" of vehicles eligible for registration with less restrictions) I suggest otherwise. The legislators in our state have been quite supportive of the idea that some, perhaps many, milvehs are safe enough to operate with less restrictions than "parade-only". For many owners, these vehicles are used occassionally, but regularly, for a variety of tasks. They've done so very safely.

SB392/AB589 will give these owners the option to register our vehicles for such utility uses. I'm asking all of you Wisconsin owners to stand by us and lend your support in pushing for the passage of SB-392/AB589. This bill is not a threat to any owners who will register their vehicles for parade-related functions. Rather, without this bill, our vehicles usefulness will effectively be taken from us. Other vehicles can be added to such a statute. Already the bill has grown to include 4 specific vehicles, but could be amended later to include groups, like "pickups" or "vehicles under X lbs." or "all but non-fully-tracked", or whatever.

Many of us rely on these vehicles. We need this bill. Please support us too. Call the Gov.

Paul U

undysworld

Proposal: AB-592 (09-3284)
Bill History: History of Assembly Bill 592
Relating to: registration of former military vehicles.

AB-592 was signed by the Governor on 3-3-2010 2009 Wisconsin Act 135

AB-592/SB-404 became Wisconsin law yesterday. Milvehs in Wisconsin are able to be registered only for "parade-functions".

Paul U

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live in Florida and was told we can not get antique tags for large trucks such as the duece.

Good luck and let us know what happened.

Orren

saddamsnightmare

March 4th, 2010.

I don't mean to ruffle your feathers, but.......

Congratulations to the members in Wisconsin! You now know what Neville Chamberlain felt like coming back from Munich. As in all things political, by allowing this travesty of a bill to pass seriously unchallenged, Wis DoT has just taken your right to your property and seriously restricted it. Other states of similar bent will very likely follow, and the conditions thus created almost forbids CatMan and company from proving that these vehicles represent little threat to other users on the highways, because you won't be able to use them to any degree to prove otherwise.:deadhorse: I guess there's little reason to celebrate, because the MVPA hanger queen and trailer queen philosophy succeeded nicely here..... aua
And I doubt the Wisonsin members will be able to prove a "Maintenance Need" or "Going to a Show" on that run to Home Depot, because very likely your use of the vehicles are so restricted you won't be allowed to handle any weights or cargoes, and Home Depot is not a parade or show legally speaking. You've got the best of all worlds, useless museum pieces sitting in your barns and your garages.... I cheer your best efforts and commend the process to all other believers in "Due Process"...fat lady sings

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:???:

englishmauser

March 4th, 2010.

I don't mean to ruffle your feathers, but.......

Congratulations to the members in Wisconsin! You now know what Neville Chamberlain felt like coming back from Munich. As in all things political, by allowing this travesty of a bill to pass seriously unchallenged, Wis DoT has just taken your right to your property and seriously restricted it. Other states of similar bent will very likely follow, and the conditions thus created almost forbids CatMan and company from proving that these vehicles represent little threat to other users on the highways, because you won't be able to use them to any degree to prove otherwise.:deadhorse: I guess there's little reason to celebrate, because the MVPA hanger queen and trailer queen philosophy succeeded nicely here..... aua
And I doubt the Wisonsin members will be able to prove a "Maintenance Need" or "Going to a Show" on that run to Home Depot, because very likely your use of the vehicles are so restricted you won't be allowed to handle any weights or cargoes, and Home Depot is not a parade or show legally speaking. You've got the best of all worlds, useless museum pieces sitting in your barns and your garages.... I cheer your best efforts and commend the process to all other believers in "Due Process"...fat lady sings

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:???:
You have ruffled my feathers. :evil: Keep your negative comments to yourself.

saddamsnightmare

March 4th, 2010.

Cynical, or realistic? Seems Wis DoT/DMV got what they wanted, restricted use of historic Military Vehicles and almost no use as working trucks. Wonder what this is gonna do for the Wisconsin Dells DUKW's, and any or every deuce used on a farm as a farm truck, a logging truck or any other proscribed use? Federal law did not restrict these vehicles when in service, and none of the states had jurisdiction over them at that point. Acceptable use for the last 60+ years for the M35 series should have grandfathered them.
At least here in Texas they are recognized as exempted vehicles, as they were built to government specification and the design pre existed and was locked in production before the Federal Highway Safety Act. It really mystifies me how they could even regulate the CUCV's as they are a variant of a production vehicle...., used every day by the thousands elsewhere with no restrictions.
Enjoy what you folks have, it is a small victory. I was being respectful, but I will point out the inconsistencies. Perhaps I will bring my Texas trucks to visit and see how they handle a Swiss Unimog or an M35A2 passing through on Federal highways, paid for all the taxpayers of this great nation. Its my 2cents worth, but the rest of us truely do not want to see this situation spread.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:D

undysworld

Kyle,
Due to state reciprocity laws, you'd be welcome to travel through Wisconsin. That's the beauty of it! You can drive your trucks here, but I can't drive mine although I vote here and pay taxes here. Seems fair to me. Please come and visit me here in Wisconsin. Some of us like foreign milvehs. Mogs are cool.

The passage of 404 is, debatably, a victory for parade drivers here, although it does lend credence to DOT's questionable interpretation of s.341.10(6) Wis. Stats. It does nothing for owners like myself who actually wish to use our trucks.

Poof and others seem convinced that 404 will still allow that load from Home Depot. Perhaps it will. I would prefer if I could operate entirely within the law. Either way, it's good that so many Wis. owners approve of 404, cause it's here!

undysworld

Kyle,
Due to state reciprocity laws, you'd be welcome to travel through Wisconsin. That's the beauty of it! You can drive your trucks here, but I can't drive mine although I vote here and pay taxes here. Seems fair to me. Please come and visit me here in Wisconsin. Some of us like foreign milvehs. Mogs are cool.

The passage of 404 is, debatably, a victory for parade drivers here, although it does lend credence to DOT's questionable interpretation of s.341.10(6) Wis. Stats. It does nothing for owners like myself who actually wish to use our trucks.

Poof and others seem convinced that 404 will still allow that load from Home Depot. Perhaps it will. I would prefer if I could operate entirely within the law. Either way, it's good that so many Wis. owners approve of 404, cause it's here!

emr

I may be missing something, but the insurance of these vehicles has the same requirments. Now in most places these things are just not noticed, that is why it is important to follow rules and be polite and be safe, and not turn these trucks into speed demons, if that is possible...but the reason is in NJ we have these rules but fly under the radar, and hopfully no one will run over a family speeding and ruin it. I am sure this is a good thing. there is such a thing as thinking to much into something. just sayin, good post like to know whats going on....my opinion...randy

huntinrig

I think my father is going to have to buy and license a M1009 in Texas and leave it up here for when he visits. :idea:That seems to be the only way I can get one and use it.aua

Michael

Typical politics, the government (DOT) got 99% of what they wanted and the people who fought it THINK they won.

Tanner

Congratulations to the Victors in the first round!

Unfortunately, the ball is now in the court of the State of Wisconsin. The state gave you Wisconsinites the ability to use your trucks
sparingly as a static display in your yard or in a parade status. Gather whatever data you deem necessary in the next 23 months &
some odd days, but be prepared to play hardball with WisDOT. Good luck with your battle to get 'full-use' capability in the future.

Since the State now carries the ball, what makes you think that they will give you time in the future to add more 'rights' to use your
vehicle as you see fit?

Undy - those of us supposed 'cynics' from outside Wisconsin will continue to support you in gaining daily 'fair-use' rights for your
vehicles...

'Tanner'

toddm

At least my truck won't be a useless 6 ton hunk of scrap steel in my driveway. I usually don't put over 600 miles a year on it and most of that is traveling to shows and parades, but I still would like to drive it whenever and wherever I please. Maybe someday!

Attachments

englishmauser

Typical politics, the government (DOT) got 99% of what they wanted and the people who fought it THINK they won.
All you non Wisconsin residents, it is pretty easy to sit on the side line and say all this crap, when you have not delt directly with the Wisconsin DOT like we have. You guys are acting like trolls.

saddamsnightmare

March 6th, 2010.

It seems that Trolls under the bridges always confer information that the recipients hate hearing. Yes, we are from outside Wisconsin, and right now I think most of us appreciate that fact. Since when does your Dot/DMV get the rights to overturn precedent set by the Federal government, and take your property without paying for it? Because that is what they just did. Before this troglodytic law was passed, you could drive your vehicles whenever and whereever you wanted, provided they had the correct plates for the useage.... Now you can't!
Sorry if the statement has offended you, and I am pretty certain from earlier posts that many of you were offended by the truth, but in a court of law, the truth always stands on its own legs.... Right now, I am betting a lot of MV's are either gonna migrate out of Wisconsin, or become hanger and parade queens. Must be nice watching those of us with MV's plated outside Wisconsin pass through whenever we want to, but unfortunately you folks can't do the same unless you can get to the borders of the state in a parade....!
The rest of us are actually hoping some bill with sanity comes up and overturns this travesty of law, or better yet it gets taken to a Federal Court, because none of us want to share your situation in our own states. I am pretty certain that the Texans would, if this were attempted, come up with a much different solution. How or what type, I can't say, but they don't trust even a minimalist government without close scrutiny, so the results would likely be very interesting. Dale Gribble is, in Texas, a very real type of individual...
When the situation started with the Pinzgauers it did not look good, and what the rest of us are seeing now is not necessarily rose tinted, but we do feel for you. As you have said, you folks are going to have to get your own chestnuts out of the fire.... Maybe if you remembered Abe the War Eagle things would look up?
Also, I do believe that the rest of use still retain within the First Amendment the right to reasonably respectfully discuss the situation, even with Chris's consent. One does not have to own a house that is on fire, to call the fire department to put out the fire when one is observed. Otherwise, many houses would burn down for want of effort to save them.

Respectfully,

Kyle F. McGrogan:roll:

Last edited:

DavidB

Jeff uses the term we and us often,however don't think he speaks for everyone.He appointed himself and went on from there turning away some good peoples help. You MVPA people need to come catch your dog. I for one am not at all happy with this crap and yes I am a Wisconsin resident.
DavidB

emr

I am not sure the nay sayers have taken the time to read the Bill ??? if not they are wayyy of first amendment right or no. It seems to me there is alot more to this than this thread says in legal terms, and I will say it sounds exactly like what NJ has, and the gustappo has not hammered down here, the officers in the field and the DOT may not have the same ajenda, and there is so much grey area to make assumptions and cause an argument at this time to be a know all is just not right. If the vehicle makes a certain number of safty items to be commercial well it will then pass anywhere, just like here, but the NJ antique tag clearly states what yours does, but I will say we with antique tags do not need inspection, and there for never need to stop for any inspection stop, u need to understand the law first, i do not believe any one reall does here yet....yeesh.....my 3 cents. and someone saying here, " well u can never drive your truck , is silly at beast , sighting the rules from a keyboard is silly too.....randy...[thumbzup]

creinemann

HMV Wisconsin Law

I am very optimistic about the passage of the HMV Laws in Wisconsin, while they are restrictive, I fee that the work done is a great step. It takes away DOT's authority to indiscriminately take away registrations. (within reason). I do think there are compelling reasons to keep pushing the 'envelope' to allow these vehicles and owners, greater freedom to haul, tow, or be used as a daily driver.
As a retired Chief of Police, I know that enforcement of this law will be almost impossible for any cop. There is a difference in the letter of the law, and the intent of the law. I know there are a few sticklers out there, but, I can't picture them sitting there just waiting for you to take your 'test ride' and then ticket you. I can see them ticketing an MV owner for going down I-94 at 35MPH...or any other car owner because thats a seperate offense... I know when I drive my MV's I dont get the stare down from any law enforcement officer....I get salutes, waves, siren toots, a flash of the overheads, and tons of questions, all positive.
I will still drive my MV as I have in the past, and because I am always fixing something on my M37 or Jeep, every drive is a test drive, I can always point out a leak, or something I need to fix.
I look forward to the new registrations, and will continue to support the effort to improve the law, or the administrative rules.

Carl

skinnedknuckles

Carl,
I agree with your views on this[thumbzup] Like I have said before unless we are out there doing STUPID things with our MV's I don't think that its going to be a big problem, things have not changed that much. This is pretty much a done deal , especially after the Governor signs it. Now lets quit :deadhorse: and get out and :driver: these things decently and get some good statistics built up so that in 2 years we can go in with some ground to stand on and add some amendments :grd:
Paul in Janesville, Wisconsin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks