• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wisconsin Legislature Passes HMV Bill

undysworld

Carl & Paul,

Let's certainly hope you guys are correct, and that police officers will be reasonable. And you're right, if somebody is breaking other laws, they should be ticketed as such.

I also agree that there are "compelling reasons" to keep pushing to get Milveh use expanded in the future. To that end, just of curiousity, where do you guys stand on SB392 (Erpenbach's bill), which does allow some expanded uses. Are you "fer it" or "agin it"?

Paul U.

skinnedknuckles

Paul, I am fer it . In the end, Yes I would like less restricted use. But as a person certified to do Dot inspections on over the road trucks I can see some of the Dot's points and concerns ( I have had to deal with them many times before about other issues). They love statistical numbers from their state. So lets give them what they want, get a couple of years statics together on just MV's so we will have some common ground to stand on, it would make a better case and give us a better chance at more expanded useage. Just my thoughts.
Paul I still have to Thank You and Jeff for what you have done for our hobby in this state . You guys fought a good fight on this[thumbzup] It gets us our own direct classification of vehicles so mv owners in this state can still license and operate our rides:driver:
Paul in Janesville
Not saying that the 5" straight pipe on my Dodge Cummins is legal but I have not got a ticket yet . Ya just gotta be careful when you romp on the throttle8)

Last edited:
Jeff uses the term we and us often,however don't think he speaks for everyone.He appointed himself and went on from there turning away some good peoples help. You MVPA people need to come catch your dog. I for one am not at all happy with this crap and yes I am a Wisconsin resident.
DavidB
So why didn't you get a better bill passed, I think Jeff did as well as was possible under the conditions.
I have met Jeff and he is nobody's DOG.

huntinrig

I don't have a "hobby". I just want to drive a CUCV. They are perfect for what I want. No power stuff to break, no carpet, no frills. I got interested too late to get involved in the fight and by the time new legislation rolls around I will have bought something else. What really drives me nuts is I could buy a normal truck and spend 5 grand more to make it just like a CUCV and that would be legal, but They don't want to license the "fmv". I am not a collector I just thought I had finally found a sensible truck at a reasonable price. Not to be.

CatMan

To answer questions about the new Wisconsin law, we are working on a complete article to be published in plane English in the next issues of the MVPA publication Supply Line and also in Military Vehicles Magazine.

I'll also put it on our Blog Site. Speaking of the issues and the blog site. Back in Nov 2009, we put together a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) page that answers most of the questions that are kicked around on the internet boards, back porch shop seminars and local bars.

Check our MV Blog for the FAQ document at Wisconsin Historic Military Vehicle Bill Update: Oct 30 2009 WI HMV Bill FAQ's
We will update a few items as soon as I can get the articles done.

Regarding the effective date of the legislation, The Law becomes effective on September 1st, 2010. What can I say, the wheels of big government turn slowly!

Why the delay? Well, it takes that long for the DOT to get the plate design completed and approved, stamping dies manufactured and to get all the new computer code written, tested and loaded. Plus the new application forms must be created, written and made available.

We have already met with DOT managers since the bill was signed and are working with them to get the new plate and the forms right.

So if you are in Wisconsin and have Collector or Regular truck plates on your MV now, keep driving this summer and check the DMV site after Sept 1st. If you are waiting to apply for registration you will have to wait a few more months.

Remember, we have more to do and we intend to keep working on the issue. This is the next step toward establishing and EXPANDING how we can legaly use our our trucks and MV hobby for the future.

Cat Man

Midnight Rider

So if I live in Wisconsin, I can't use my 1009 as a daily driver? What if I went and bought a mid 80's 6.2 powered diesel Chevy Blazer, that would be legal? What if I took said Blazer and painted it camo and added the brushguards, tow hooks, ripped out the carpet, added antennas, etc... everything to make it look exactly like my 1009, would that be legal? If that is true, then that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Someone should actually go do that and try to get it license and see what happens.

I meet a guy coming down the road in a regular civy 80's model Blazer everyday. His is probably a gasser, has carpet, and is painted blue, what else is going to be different between the two.

I hope all you Wisconsin boys get it all figured out and kick the DMV in the balls.

undysworld

Argonaut,

we are doing a car show in may, im glad you guys in the forum are on top of this topic .
I hope you got registered previously, because the new plates will not be ready by then, from what has been posted previously. It sounds like it may take several months...

Midnight Rider,

Funny how it works here, isn't it? DMV here sorts things out by VIN. Wrong VIN - No Title. DMV is unable (unwilling) to inspect it beyond looking for the NHTSA label.

So an ex-military vehicle in Wisconsin is not legal to register as a daily driver, no matter what color it is. But if it's a civilian model, you can paint it OD and it won't matter, it's still legal! Pretty simple, huh? aua

Be glad you live in IL! That way, you can own and enjoy a milveh, and still legally drive it anywhere in Wisconsin, and we'll pay the road taxes up here for you! We Wisconsin residents can still own milvehs, we just can't use them.

As Catman wrote:
So if you are in Wisconsin and have Collector or Regular truck plates on your MV now, keep driving this summer
(I'll add:) while you still can. But get ready to lose your privileges come autumn...

Un-enthusiastically,
Paul U

stumps

As Catman wrote:
(I'll add:) while you still can. But get ready to lose your privileges come autumn...

Un-enthusiastically,
Paul U
Since the WI DOT maintains that it can't say if WI's HMV's are a safety hazard, because it cannot determine which of the currently registered WI vehicles are HMV's, I would think the best course of action would be to ignore the call for HMV reregistration in the Fall, and wait until WI DOT cancels your registration. They may never.

-Chuck

undysworld

Chuck,

Here's an interesting aspect. When DMV first cancelled Pinzgauer registrations, because they were ex-military and because they lacked a NHTSA sticker (both true of all U.S. milvehs too), I challenged them that their actions weren't fair because they had only cancelled Pinzgauer registrations but had not cancelled US milvehs.

DMV told me that normally they had no way to determine which vehicles were milvehs and which were civilian. They said that Pinzgauers were all cancelled because DMV knew that all Pinzgauers were milvehs. (Which is B.S. since there are civilian Pinzgauers.) But for Makes such as Dodge, Kaiser, Chevrolet, and A.M. General, etc., DMV claimed to have no way to determine which vehicles were milvehs or not.

I don't know if that claim was true or not. In general, I've become skeptical of WisDOT's truthfulness. But if it is true, then you may be right. Just keep renewing your licenses, and see who notices. :beer:

Paul

To answer questions about the new Wisconsin law, we are working on a complete article to be published in plane English in the next issues of the MVPA publication Supply Line and also in Military Vehicles Magazine.

I'll also put it on our Blog Site. Speaking of the issues and the blog site. Back in Nov 2009, we put together a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) page that answers most of the questions that are kicked around on the internet boards, back porch shop seminars and local bars.

Check our MV Blog for the FAQ document at Wisconsin Historic Military Vehicle Bill Update: Oct 30 2009 WI HMV Bill FAQ's
We will update a few items as soon as I can get the articles done.

Regarding the effective date of the legislation, The Law becomes effective on September 1st, 2010. What can I say, the wheels of big government turn slowly!

Why the delay? Well, it takes that long for the DOT to get the plate design completed and approved, stamping dies manufactured and to get all the new computer code written, tested and loaded. Plus the new application forms must be created, written and made available.

We have already met with DOT managers since the bill was signed and are working with them to get the new plate and the forms right.

So if you are in Wisconsin and have Collector or Regular truck plates on your MV now, keep driving this summer and check the DMV site after Sept 1st. If you are waiting to apply for registration you will have to wait a few more months.

Remember, we have more to do and we intend to keep working on the issue. This is the next step toward establishing and EXPANDING how we can legaly use our our trucks and MV hobby for the future.

Cat Man
I checked the DMV site and found nothing about this YET. Does anyone have a status update?

Attachments

CatMan

Man, You guys are good! Watching like hawks. The Old Cat Man was going to post the WI DOT link on Friday morning which would be October first. They put it on line late today.

Remember this is not over yet. This is phase one. We got some protection. We will now work toward amending the new law to include expanded vehicle use similar to other states.

Get your applications in so we can start demonstrating a safety record. We need that to go back to the legislature. We've been working since March to get the plate design completed and helped the DOT with the forms and the web site. I think they got it down OK. The plate looks pretty good on both WWII and Later M series Semi Gloss or camo vehicles.

Still working for all of us.

Cat Man / Jeff Rowsam

stumps

Just curious, but how are the very infrequent miles driven to and from shows, and in parades... some of the most limited activities on the road... going to be representative of the safety of these vehicles for general use?

Changing all the rules, and then gathering the statistics, isn't going to give you anything that is statistically significant about their safety for general use. The only way to do that is to gather the statistics while the vehicles are in general use, and then decide what to do about them based on the results.

The whole plan seems bass ackwards to me.... come to think of it, I first heard that term from my grandfather when he was describing the state government in Madison.

-Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks