• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wobbling Pulley Stuck

Hummer Guy

Anyone here has try removing the key before? I've been messing with it for 2 hours and only have moved it up on each side. My next plan is to cut it in half but the weather messed me up

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have removed tons of them, I have never had one I could not remove with a chisel or a punch, it is in a half moon hole ether way you move it it will come out.

Hummer Guy

I have removed tons of them, I have never had one I could not remove with a chisel or a punch, it is in a half moon hole ether way you move it it will come out.
I tried that for an like almost 2 hours, it just came up on either side and wouldn't move anymore, I ended up cutting it in half with a dremel and then I was able to beat it out.

Is there any chance I had the pulley on the wrong side which caused it to open up inside? I remember that pulley would back itself out a little when I drive for a few miles, it would basically even itself out with the other pulley's, this caused it to have a little space between the washer and the pulley and the washer will usually vibrate while the engine is running

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried that for an like almost 2 hours, it just came up on either side and wouldn't move anymore, I ended up cutting it in half with a dremel and then I was able to beat it out.

Is there any chance I had the pulley on the wrong side which caused it to open up inside? I remember that pulley would back itself out a little when I drive for a few miles, it would basically even itself out with the other pulley's, this caused it to have a little space between the washer and the pulley and the washer will usually vibrate while the engine is running
If that was the case then the pulley defiantly was not tightened up enough, it should be TIGHT against the shoulder on the alt side of the shaft, this pic shows the side that should go in against the shoulder.
pulley.JPG
If it needed to come out to align with the belts you had the wrong pulley on it, this one gives more offset towards the front of the vehicle.

Hummer Guy

If that was the case then the pulley defiantly was not tightened up enough, it should be TIGHT against the shoulder on the alt side of the shaft, this pic shows the side that should go in against the shoulder.
View attachment 905914
If it needed to come out to align with the belts you had the wrong pulley on it, this one gives more offset towards the front of the vehicle.
I have one like this but it was too far out, this was the one I had that was to far out 8-Groove Belt Pulley ; Humvee M1114 ; RCSK18685 RCSK18219 3020014445447 | eBay

Hummer Guy

I have a clutch pulley on a broke 200a generator, most likely I will try to get that off. I'm going to let it soak in PB blaster for a few hours and then make an attempt at it, I hope that pulley isn't broke as well. Its crazy that the clutch pulleys cost between 400-600$, I had bought mines for 260 last year and now its over $500 on the same website

Hummer Guy

I have a clutch pulley on a broke 200a generator, most likely I will try to get that off. I'm going to let it soak in PB blaster for a few hours and then make an attempt at it, I hope that pulley isn't broke as well. Its crazy that the clutch pulleys cost between 400-600$, I had bought mines for 260 last year and now its over $500 on the same website
Done that, old clutch pulley came off but left the bearings on, I guess that thing is destroyed

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got my new pulley in, a solid one, do you guys use a lock washer for the nut?
I don't but it's just a personal decision, sometimes the washer expands and tries to push out from under the nut, I am still in shock at how good the shaft looks.
How does the pulley fit without the key in it?? any slop?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 months later, same thing happening again, I started to hear the same slop noise and decided to inspect it, pulley is back wobbling. It seems like the clutch pulley is the only safe one to use for long term, I've driven my truck a lot over the pass couple of months

There is no reason that pulley should fail, I have had no issues with mine at all, it ether did not get tightened enough or the shaft was damaged the first time it was put on loose.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No slop at all, it still has a perfect fit on it
what Did you use to secure that pulley? That is nothing I’ve ever seen.
Also….i believe you have the wrong pulley unless you have the entire small pulley conversion kit installed which would have
provided you everything you need, pulley, belt, mounting hardware.

Hummer Guy

what Did you use to secure that pulley? That is nothing I’ve ever seen.
Also….i believe you have the wrong pulley unless you have the entire small pulley conversion kit installed which would have
provided you everything you need, pulley, belt, mounting hardware.
Its a Plumbing nut, I had miss place my previous nut but I found it last week and was going to change it.

I don't have the small pulley conversion kit but this pulley is the same size as my seized up clutch pulley

Hummer Guy

I got the pulley off, the shaft seems to not have any damage, could it be that the 200a generator is just too strong for the solid pulley and put too much stress on it when shutting the truck off over time? The clutch pulley never did this for the 2 years I had it on.

For the nut, the original generator with the truck had come with this strange looking nut in the picture, and the second new generator I had came with a nut that had grooves in it (I lost it)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks