• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won my first trailer. M105A2

Alexsha

New member here. Just won an M105A2 on GL. Waiting on the EUC to go through. I'll be towing it home with a Dodge Ram 2500 on 33" tires. Luckily, I'm just driving from Hill Air Force Base in Layton, UT to... Layton, UT. :-D

I've been searching the forum for info regarding this trailer and I've got a pretty good idea of everything I need, but I'd like to double check. So here's what I know:

Pintle castle nut size: 1.5" (get a box wrench from Wal-Fart for $10)
Lug nut size: 1.5" (will likely be loose)
Bring a tall jack to lower the pintle onto the hook.
2 tire repair cans
Portable 12V air compressor

Will need to check the air reserve tank and release any air to prevent brake lock up. What tool(s) do I need for this?

Once recovered, the modifications I plan to do:
1) Install 12V/24V LED bulbs.
2) Build a conversion plug for the trailer wiring hookup to a standard 4-pin.
3) Remove the pintle, apply anti-seize, flip for reinstall.
4) Install a bracket under the neck to install a 6600 lb surge brake actuator ( http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200579902_200579902 )
4a) Is it possible to hook up the brake lines to the surge actuator and still have the ability to hook up the brakes to an air system?
5) Buy a multifuel deuce :twisted:

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will also need either a set of magnetic trailer lights and gorilla tape to use on the trailer when you tow it off base, or have someone follow closely behind to signal for turns and stops since it will be a short trip. I drop the tailgate straight down and tape the magnetic lights to the back of the bed - the tailgate will bounce too much to put them on the edge of the tailgate.

Also, be careful with the hi-lift or farm jack while lowering the tongue onto your hitch - it can release and go straight to the ground with no warning and crush anything placed under the tongue (don't ask how I know this, but I still have all 10 toes).
Picture 002.jpg

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buy your deuce and keep the trailer original, M105s are way to big to be pulled regularly by a pickup. Your plan to modify the brakes sound good but will tough to apply to the unit.photo (2).jpg

Alexsha

By the time my EUC goes through I might have my deuce. Negotiating on a 1970 Kaiser M35A2 multifuel turbo-diesel with an LDT-465D. 10.8K miles and overhauled in 1995 by the army.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There ya' go. Save the trailer mod money and put it toward your M35. The truck and trailer are a real eye catching combo, and you can haul anything any where.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depending on the condition of the Deuce, that could be a real good price or $2-3K high. For $6K, you could buy a F250 powerstroke with 350K miles with no AC or a similar condition vehicle. I'd rather have the Deuce if it was really nice shape. The F250 will only go down in value.

Alexsha

Here's the description of the deuce in question:

This 1970 Kaiser M35A2 multifuel turbo-diesel (LDT-465D) was depot overhauled 1995. It only has 10,799 miles and is fully functional and starts and runs well. The air assist steering make steering a breeze. The radiator was replaced with a NOS not a rebuild. It has an air ride seat and cab heater. The bows and cover keeps your gear out of the weather. Also included is a dual alternator kit from Wolverine Technologies for 12 and 24 volt operation, the original 24 volt alternator, spare water pump, weather strip, and several new tubes. This truck has been pampered indoors so it is rust and varmint free and can be relied upon when you need it. Enjoy the peace of mind having a truck that will run on about anything while it hauls just about anything. I have all the original hub parts to convert to original and I also have 95% Goodyear G177 11x20 radials if you want to single out the rear axles.

Pictures of it show little to no rust. Looks to be in excellent shape.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some Deuces that sold at auction last week for some price points. From the first page, just click on the Next Lot to view the others. I didn't see them, but it seems that condition and prices were extremely variable. You expect to pay more for a private vehicle sale, but you should also get a more reliable truck and some kind of support after the sale.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6421340

3dAngus

I would not do anything to add surge brakes to the M105A2.
Just buy a M105A3 for the same price instead, maybe $100 more. Built right and no work involved. They are more difficult to find, I admit.

You can lower the M105 series trailers with wheels from a M1061. IN most cases, it will ride a heck of a lot better then riding on NDTs too.

I usually just add LED lights from Walmart of Harbor Freight with the 4 pin and have two sets of lights. If you live in one of those very rare states that say you can only have one set of lights, you can just take paint tape and tape over one set of red plastic illuminators on the light set you are not using at the time. It is so much easier and cheaper then building an adapter.

SteveKuhn

Taking the mechanical condition of the truck at face value (which you shouldn't do as a buyer), I must say that the M35's write up suggests that between equipment and extras, the price isn't out of line - at least it wouldn't be around here. Look at the prices of Air-O-Matics in the parts section.

And I'm with everybody else on by-passing the trailer modifications. I'm casting about for a great A3 deal myself.

Steve

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alex,
That price is very good for a M35 in that stated condition. You can't buy a decent 4x4 pickup for that. It will cost alot more to equip a plain/non equiped Duece.
JC

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not fair! Two different truck applications. Does she drive the Dodge? She will need to learn to drive the deuce just in case. Jewelry is sometime part of the overall equation of MV ownership, search other theads on the true value of jewelry.

MarcusOReallyus

MarcusOReallyus

If you don't have a deuce, you don't want a 105. It's not practical for a pickup. Yes, you can pull it, but 2/3 your rated towing capacity is taken up by the trailer alone.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/

See that little "when properly equipped" notice? click the red + sign.

That means a weight-distributing hitch, NOT a standard hitch. If you don't have a weight distributing hitch, your towing capacity is a LOT less. It's the payload capacity. For the 2500, it's 3170 pounds.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ram_2500/capability/

Since the 105 weighs about a ton by itself, you can legally carry about a half ton in that trailer behind your pickup.

http://www.propickupmag.com/tow-ratings-and-liability/

Get a 101, and you can carry a full ton, and have a lighter trailer to haul when it's empty.

Alexsha

101s around here sell for 4 times what I paid for my 105. I can get a weight distribution hitch for a fairly small investment. I also have additional leaf springs in the rear for increased payload.

MarcusOReallyus

Yeah, I hear you on the prices. I just saw a local CL ad for a 101A3, and he thinks it's a steal at $1500. :D

I've got $500 in my 101A2.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks