• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Woodland on the M925a1

sgtrisk

I'm curious about your prep work. It appears that you either had a truck that was in great shape, or you did a whole lot of sanding, or the flat paint just hides all the blemishes. What did you do to begin the restoration work on the surfaces? I've got a pretty badly weathered M109A3 that I'm starting work on and would appreciate any advice on prep work.

Cdub

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the question.....I'll do my best to help you out.

First off, I don't remove any good paint by sanding, stripping or sand blasting. I attack each area as needed. If it's rusty then I'll sand blast it. The scratches, chips and dry paint in the original CARC were all sanded with 80 grit on a DA until they were removed or sanded flat and ready for prime. The CARC takes a lot of time to sand it and get it ready for prime. Take your time. It will all be worth it in the end. The prep work is the most important step in a good paint job. This way, when I go wet on wet with the primer there is no additional sanding or prep work necessary. I’m basically eliminating a step to speed things along.

Each panel and part was removed, painted, re-installed and lubed as necessary. I like to hang all my panels this way I'm able to paint the entire piece all at once. I like to use lacquer primer and go wet on wet with the 383 green Gillespie paint.

I must admit though. The body is in very good condition to start off with. It didn’t require much if any sand blasting. There were a few dings and dents here and there. Just a little hammer and dolling took care of them with out the need for any finishing plastic at all.

It didn’t take me much effort on my part to get the body up to MV standards just time. Don’t forget, I had spent 11 years in a body shop fixing new cars.

If you have any more questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. I’ll be more the glad to help ya out.

Cheers,

C’dub

Attachments

sgtrisk

I KNEW there was some reason I hadn't taken the kids' swingset down!! Now I have something to use it for!!

Looks like I'll have plenty of work ahead of me. I will need to do some Bondo work in a couple of spots. The sheet metal on the sides of the M109 shop van have rusted clear through at some overlapped seams. What kind do you recommend?

And what type/brand of paint did/do you use?

Armada

GREAT work C'dub! That is one beautiful truck and paint job. You spent a lot of time on the prep work and paid a lot of attention to the details, and it shows. Well worth all of the effort in the end, isn't it. Congrats on a show stopper MV.

Cdub

I used the 383 green Gillespie paint from :

RAPCO Parts & Paint Company
940-872-2403
support@rapcoparts.com
Place your Order On-Line
www.rapcoparts.com

Or

Army Jeep Parts Inc.
215-269-5014 Phone
215-269-5016 FAX
6500 Beaver Dam Road Unit B in Levittown, PA!
http://www.armyjeepparts.com/order_page/paint_bottom_1.htm

with the xylene as a reducer made by Xylol available at Home Depot.

The plastic you can use would be “ Bondo “ or “ Evercoat “. There are many choices out there and sometimes is just a matter of preference as to which one to use.

BTW…….the Singset makes one of the best paint hangers around. Just make sure you do it when the kids are off playing sports. I know my daughter gets made at me all the time when I hang parts on the Singset…….Hahahah… and they have to stay there for a few days to dry….Hahahaha…..

Cheers,

C’dub

Cdub

Hey Thanks….Sharleen is really starting to come together for me now. I just started with the front fender and hood on the Drivers side this afternoon while we’re having this nice 70 degree weather for the next couple of days.

Cheers,

C’dub

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks