• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Work for M35a2...good deal or not?

jholler

The guy in town I bought my M1009 from has what looks to be an M35A2 sitting in his lot as well...he owns a restaurant supply business, and bought both trucks from our local Surplus store a couple of years ago. The surplus owner bought them both from GL, came from the MO Nat Guard, 135th Avn Bn. He installed new plugs and batteries in my 09 before selling it in good running condition, and I have no doubt he sold the deuce running as well. I haven't made a close inspection, but it has a winch, hard top, bows installed and tarp is folded in the bed. Exterior condition is excellent, and in casual conversation the guy said he'd like $8k for the truck...
The truck has sat in his lot since he bought it, same as my CUCV, I guess he bought them on a whim then never found a use for them. I'd be willing to offer him around $6k for it, but I had another idea: He has a business, I have a job that I only work 9 1/2 days a month...I thought of offering him 800-1000 hours of free labor in exchange for the truck. In my mind, he'd be getting free help in exchange for something he doesn't need and is not using anyway...any thoughts?

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's your time, so it depends on what your time is worth. If' you don't have a lot on your calendar, might be a good deal. The one BIG thing I'd have a concern with is if you get hurt on the job. There may be liability issues and insurance issues for the MV owner, and issues for you if you can't work your regular job. I guess it depends on if you're gonna be operating equipment, doing heavy lifting, or driving a vehicle for the guy. If you can work that all out, go for it. I'd also price out similar vehicles, seems his might be a tad high.
BTW, I'm also a FF.

treeguy

You work 9 1/2 days a month?!!! Whadda ya got to do to get a job like that, thats the perfect MV hobby schedule. In regard to the truck deal, I say go for it. Whats he going to say, no? Then you just make a money offer.

jholler

I have a truck that you are describing in similar condition i would sell for 6k
I appreciate it, but A) I don't have 6k disposable right now, and B) This one's local, not in PA! That's why I'm thinking of offering labor. I agree the price is high, but I don't think he knows that to tell you the truth.

Treeguy, I'm a city firefighter, 24hrs on duty, 48hrs off. The half day is called a "Kelly Day"..every 10 shifts they have to give you 12 hours off to keep from paying OT. (We're figured on a 53hr week)

Good point on injury, I'll have to think on that. Maybe if he calls me an independent contractor?

Gunboy, I'm working a 48 right now, I'll try to swing by Tuesday and snap some pics.

jholler

Well, I was thinking minimum wage rate, (selling point for me) for unskilled labor (no CDL, but I can drive about anything) 1000 would be just shy of his asking price. I'll try for less, maybe offer 500 hours, but I'd probably enjoy the work...I'll mow his yard, work his warehouse, paint his pool...don't much mind whatever if I'm getting a "free" deuce for being productive on my days off!

KsM715

Well, I was thinking minimum wage rate, (selling point for me) for unskilled labor (no CDL, but I can drive about anything) 1000 would be just shy of his asking price. I'll try for less, maybe offer 500 hours, but I'd probably enjoy the work...I'll mow his yard, work his warehouse, paint his pool...don't much mind whatever if I'm getting a "free" deuce for being productive on my days off!
If your both happy with the terms, great. But you might have a back up plan incase one of you wants out of the deal before the end.

usmctopgun

Yeah that 1k hours might not sound to bad right now, but about 100-200 hours in it might be a nightmare. He might hand you a shovel and say start digging!

jholler

Good points all...I need to make sure I think this through completely before making the specifics of the offer, but I still like the idea.

gunboy, got any work you need done in Arkansas?:smile:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK - The math here just isn't adding up for me.

You say you're willing to work 800-1000 hours for a truck with an asking price of $8,000. That means that you are willing to work for $8.00 to $10.00/hour. Right?

On the other hand, you say that you work ONLY 9-1/2 hour's/month at your regular job.

If we presume that you also earn just $8.00 to $10.00 hour at that job as well, then your MONTHLY GROSS INCOME is LESS THAN $100.00/month.

At the risk of sounding pretty foolish here.... How in the world do you expect to support the truck if you ever successfully get it?

IF my presumption of your current rate of pay is in error, and you actually make MUCH MORE that $8.00 to $10.00/hour, then why would you ever demean yourself to a "minimum wage" earning rate, when you could logically increase the hours you work at your hours at your "regular" job and pay cash?

Like I said.... Something here just isn't adding up for me. Can you help me understand please?

Thank you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks