• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the O/D of the cover ? Maybe I could make something out of fiberglass and some core material ? Also how wide is the inside flange ?
I think before you made one you should get someone to measure the cover off the vehicle. The ballpark numbers I got from mine appear to be 48 3/4" OD and inside is 41"

1951M1078

Was thinking if someone (me) made them . Maybe it would fill a need ?

And yes it would help with one off.

I see them listed for $500 +. Seams very high.

FloridaAKM

Some where in the base DRMO/DLA lot all over America, resides a bunch of these covers w/ the metric bolts that holds them on. We may get a few, here & there; but the rest will rust out. I thought about making one of plexiglass, like we do scrubbers @ work; but was told that was stupid & would let the sun bake everything in the truck, including the riders. How about using aluminum, cut to size & bolted on top of a good seal to stop the water intrusion!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some where in the base DRMO/DLA lot all over America, resides a bunch of these covers w/ the metric bolts that holds them on. We may get a few, here & there; but the rest will rust out. I thought about making one of plexiglass, like we do scrubbers @ work; but was told that was stupid & would let the sun bake everything in the truck, including the riders. How about using aluminum, cut to size & bolted on top of a good seal to stop the water intrusion!
Make it out of plexi and put a zipper cover on the inside. That way when you're driving you can unzip it and have a sunroof.

There are some homemade aluminum ones on a popular online auction site.

aleigh

I actually have a Juki and can sew them but do what I do instead, shoe goo. This is actually the authorized repair technique for Base-X tents (and probably other tents), which is made out of the same material. You can patch this way also. It works perfectly fine and I have not had any failures of repairs we have done this way on the tents.

I have the same problem as you, seams starting to pull on the LMTV canopy, but I've only got a couple feet her and there bad. I'll do the glue before I get out the sewing machine, just because it is such a PITA to sew something so large. It isn't even so much getting the machine dirty, it's more like you need 2 helpers.

After my tarp goes I may just make another one out of something a lot lighter, like 1000D cordura, just from the pattern of the original. I get why the original ones are so beefy but I don't use my cover often and if it were lighter I'd have a much easier time 1-person installing it.

Another Ahab

I actually have a Juki and can sew them but do what I do instead, shoe goo. This is actually the authorized repair technique for Base-X tents (and probably other tents), which is made out of the same material. You can patch this way also. It works perfectly fine and I have not had any failures of repairs we have done this way on the tents.
But will the shoe goo hold under tension, it won't will it?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a burst of insanity today, and put the bows together on Agazza's 1082. They are apparently different than yours, Mark. The bows are one solid piece, and the horizontal bars all slip into short pipe sections. Two straps go from end to end and (hopefully) keep the lot from falling apart.

My little lady came outside to find out what all the cussing was about (just after I whanged the stitches in my scalp off the bow!) and kindly assisted me in getting the rest of that Mongolian ghost trap together.

Cheers

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is interesting. Fortunately for me, mine was fully assembled when I took possession. Now, getting the cover up there and installed my be a bit of a challenge.

aleigh

The bows on my LMTV are the same way, solid. I think those are the steel ones (pretty sure). Then later they had the Aluminum kit. Most likely the latter has the little knobby latches like the tents do. I basically tried and failed to do the install myself w/o a helper. Even with a person helping there was some swearing. Ratchet straps around the whole job does hold it together really well.

If you are rolling around with the cage+bow on but no tarp, take note, I had a problem where when offroading the bumps would knock the vertical poles out of the bed stakes. They are supposed to latch down with straps but mine were all rotted and gone. If you have the tarp on, I've driven thousands of miles and I am here to say the tension of the top holds everything down even offroad.

aleigh

Another Ahab - based on my experience with the tents the shoe goo will hold. It holds your shoes together doesn't it... ha ha. Look at it this way, nothing to lose by trying. It's really strong though, if applied to specification and you get a good strip down as wide as those seams are. Remember people crank down pretty hard on the tents too at the corner stakes, and the wind puts a TON of tension on everything.

If they are going to be re-sewn it is worthwhile to use a better thread than they did. I think someone got cheap somewhere (which is really saying something because the last time I bought thread, I bought like literally 19 miles of it for thirty bucks, the good stuff) because the thread shouldn't be failing before the material UV rots out. But I agree that's what we see here with the tarps, mine is the same way.

Yes, Juki in this context is a large industrial machine. They make many of them, but the one for this is the one I have, the 1541. I use it to sew all manner of things, but mostly I sew straps and rigging and bags, equipment and tool rolls, covers, stuff like that. Manly sewing I like to joke.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a burst of insanity today, and put the bows together on Agazza's 1082. They are apparently different than yours, Mark. The bows are one solid piece, and the horizontal bars all slip into short pipe sections. Two straps go from end to end and (hopefully) keep the lot from falling apart.

My little lady came outside to find out what all the cussing was about (just after I whanged the stitches in my scalp off the bow!) and kindly assisted me in getting the rest of that Mongolian ghost trap together.

Cheers
Little FYI here, with the bows up, when loaded on a drop deck or gooseneck trailer, the FMTV/trailer is over 14' tall.

RAJ LMTV

Since bows are being mentioned here I want to jump in with a question or two. When I got my truck there were no bows and no tarp. I really don't even know how the bows attach or anything about them. Where would I find bows to put on the truck, I've already located and purchased the cover but don't have the bows.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since bows are being mentioned here I want to jump in with a question or two. When I got my truck there were no bows and no tarp. I really don't even know how the bows attach or anything about them. Where would I find bows to put on the truck, I've already located and purchased the cover but don't have the bows.
Everyone's favorite on line auction site. Unfortunately they're ridiculously high on there. If you hadn't already gotten the cover I'd suggest some of the milveh vendors that advertise here but generally they only have full sets.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both the early and late bows (1st and 2nd generation) simply slide into holes on the top of the bed sides. You have to decide if you want 1G or 2G bows. The 1G are not economical to ship even motor freight, the bows are huge (8'x6'). In Texas, Red River Parts (New Boston) has those in stock so you can go there and get some in person. The 2G bows break completely down and are UPSable. See ebay etc. I am starting to think the 2G bow kits for the 5 ton M1083 MTV can be modified for the LMTV. Just cut down the stringers.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Little FYI here, with the bows up, when loaded on a drop deck or gooseneck trailer, the FMTV/trailer is over 14' tall.
Yes, indeed. It is a tall trailer sitting on the ground. It will all come back off when it goes to Arizona, I'm just..er...testing everything now (okay, I'm playing with it!!).

Cheers