• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sorry that hear that, of course you're right :(
Ain't nothin' but a thing. I learn to make better use of my limited intellect to find work arounds. Just took me a little longer to figure this one out although looking at it, it seems simply enough and you'd think easy enough to come up with. Too bad it isn't the next Facebook type idea where I could make a few billion off of it. Of course now Overdrive will steal it and charge people for it with his home LMTV Ideas business :-D

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Overdrive is right though. And he also has helped a lot with very good posts. I can't say that about too much of the content I read on our beloved board lately.
There's maybe 4 or 5 good posters in regards to LMTVs and Overdrive is definitely in that group. I'll be borrowing several of his ideas if I can't talk him into mass producing them so all I have to do is shell out the money for them.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled the pump back off and undid everything to make sure all parts are where they're supposed to be, used air hose to supply air and had piston action so pump appears to be working the way it's supposed to work, put it back together, back in, still nada and now the cab latch button won't retract again. I am majorly flummoxed. I even considered having the lines mixed up but tried swapping them and then the manual pump wouldn't work either but worked again once I swapped the hoses back. Guess I'll put the extra u-cup in the spare pump and try that one.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the HPU pumps when you bench test it, check that air is coming from the little tube when you press the button. An insect had plugged mine up in a matter of a day when I had it disconnected. Also recall the parking brake has to be engaged for air to go to the HPU.

Another Ahab

I don't have a lot of hand strength due to the MS so need to use alternate means for accomplishing some things.
You haven't let that MS shut you down, mkcoen, and it's impressive how you adapt to make do. You just won't quit.

You're an inspiration for all of us. You go strong! :driver::grd:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the spare pump back together and installed in the truck and viola! I'm going to cycle things a half dozen times or so just to make sure it stays working but think the issue is finally fixed. Which is a good thing as it hasn't hit 90 yet today and I'm sweating like a you know what.

IMG_4258.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to actually get to drive the truck this weekend to the monthly San Antonio area SS meet up. It's usually at the Mustang Club's monthly car show but the parking lot is extremely crowded there and all the rice burners with their lawn mower mufflers revving their engines gets old so we're just going to meet at a local Lowe's parking lot and shoot the breeze with our MVs this month. Next weekend is the Audie L Murphy VA Hospital "Ride A Crooked Trail" car show and I'm probably going to set up there. I really don't like paying for these things but there'll be some folks there I haven't seen in a while so will be worth it.

As counterintuitive as it may seem I think I'm going to put off the AC install until this fall or winter. If I've learned anything from the pump fiasco it's that I need more time to do what a "normal" person could do fairly quickly. Twenty years ago I could have completed the AC install in a day or at max a weekend. Now I'm guessing it's going to be a week long event and with it 90 and above out for the foreseeable future I don't think I can handle more than a couple hours (early morning at that) at a time. If the temps are in the 75 degree range I can probably double my working hours without too much problem. My biggest concern is getting in the middle of it and having an exacerbation that puts me down for a couple of weeks and not be able to do anything with the truck until it's put back together. If someone had told me at 32 that I'd be this much of a wimp at 52 I'd have told them to just shoot me.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing I am going to work on is getting the wheels done so I can mount my new tires.

Keith_J came by and after we got back from lunch he decided to try out my new pressure washer on the wheels. They look pretty nasty to start with but clean up pretty good with a strong spritz. Once they dry out I'll shoot them with some Prep and Etch to treat the rust that's left, power wash them again, shoot some flat black on and get them on the truck.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you are on the right track about delaying the A/C install. I can see the job taking an experienced tech 3 days with everything on the shelf. We will need a lot longer with hardware store runs, fabricating unobtainable parts, etc.

Another Ahab

My biggest concern is getting in the middle of it and having an exacerbation that puts me down for a couple of weeks and not be able to do anything with the truck until it's put back together. If someone had told me at 32 that I'd be this much of a wimp at 52 I'd have told them to just shoot me.
Are you kidding us!? Look at all the things you're doing here, you're no wimp!!

Now you just cut out that kind of talk, and keep the progress here coming; us armchair mechanics NEED it!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I got to drive the truck for about 60 miles to a meet no one showed up at but at least had a nice drive. What was nicer was what I got this afternoon. One brand new cargo cover and 2 NOS door handles (1 with a working key). Now all I have to do is take the 2 door handles to a lock shop and see if he can use the working key to match the other door handle. Not a bad day after all.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Another Ahab

There you go, mkcoen; you presence there was a help to others, it was fated.

And I can't tell you the number of times (more than once anyway), that I have showed up somewhere to meet others, and been the only one there.

Usually having to do with the fool Daylight Savings time-change thing. :roll: I have never thought much of that whole unnecessary system; drives me nuts.