• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

Truckoff

Hey, GREAT! I want one too
What the going price on M1078?
Problem is I reside in Calif.
Does any one know if a M1078 can be registered in carzyfornia?
Truckofb

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just texted him the info for all the interest and he wasn't sure how many he had left. If I sent you his number go ahead and contact him. It could be he has enough or if not, ask him about other LMTV stuff he has. And let me just say I have no monetary or other interest in this just passing a number along trying to help other 1078 owners.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alrighty! Got the other door handle keyed to match the 1st one. I also was able to get a dozen keys made so anyone that needs one can have it for the cost of cutting and the 2 stamps it'll take to get it there (basically $6.50). The cost to have the handle switched over was $35. The locksmith is not in the best part of San Antonio but worth the trip and I'll probably use them from now on for my key making needs.

Here are some pics:

1) left to right - original key - best key blank to use '73 Volvo - next best key blank generic European (they only had 2 of the Volvo blanks so used the generic for others)
2) Volvo key with the model and year in lower left corner and key blank code in lower right
3) Generic key with blank code in upper left corner

IMG_4281.jpgIMG_4282.jpgIMG_4283.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, my key I have made doesn't fit any of the other LMTV... meaning the are not master Keys as they were with CUCV. So duplicating them and distributing the keys is pretty much useless
Yeh I mentioned that further back in the thread. The idea is that many people don't have any keys and want them. If they have a key, like you, and like I did with the other door handle, they can take their handles and this key to a locksmith and have them match it. That's much easier, and less expensive, then getting the locksmith to fabricate a key just off the lock itself.

If no one wants a key, no problem, I'll just have 10 spares for myself. My goal is to assist others with LMTVs so they don't have to go through the same things I had to in order to get what they want. I sure as he77 ain't making any money on these things and I could spend the time working on my truck instead.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

If no one wants a key, no problem, I'll just have 10 spares for myself. My goal is to assist others with LMTVs so they don't have to go through the same things I had to in order to get what they want. I sure as he77 ain't making any money on these things and I could spend the time working on my truck instead.
You're a good man, mkcoen.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got some more parts today.

1) seat adjuster
2) hydraulic control cover hinge
3) rear spring bushings
4) sway bar bushings
5) front shackles
6) fuel sender

Fuel sender is going to be fun to replace. You have to undo straps and pull out the tank to get the unit in and out.

image.jpg

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First coat of primer and 383 Green on the new shackles. Going to need several more coats of green to be thick and tough enough for the TX sun/heat. Only going to be 98 today and I'm going to make about a 200 mile round trip. Sure would be nice to have the AC done.

IMG_4286.jpg

And on the truck.

IMG_4287.jpg

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hose clamp on the turbo broke. Luckily about 20 miles to Sarge's place and he's on his way with a temporary fix.

image.jpgimage.jpg