• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the accessory box in this afternoon. Keith_J swung by and did all the heavy duty soldering and wiring to the batteries. After lunch I installed the box in the cargo area. I used a switch with a light so I can tell from standing on the ground if it's on or not. I prefer not to take a chance with a parasitic draw on the batteries if it's not needed.

Now I have a spot to plug the Luminoodles in and also my personal fan so I can be comfortable when camping out in the back of the truck.

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Got the accessory box in this afternoon. Keith_J swung by and did all the heavy duty soldering and wiring to the batteries. After lunch I installed the box in the cargo area. I used a switch with a light so I can tell from standing on the ground if it's on or not. I prefer not to take a chance with a parasitic draw on the batteries if it's not needed.

Ever hear of this thing here, mkcoen?

I don't know how useful it truly is (somebody else here might know better), but the concept sounds good:

www.prioritystart.com

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You just need to go vertical some, mkcoen; getting stuff off the deck. Then you'll be all good to go!
There's all kinds of head-room in there.
Maybe some kind of shelving system?
If I really needed it I have plenty of room. Just funny how quick floor space disappears.

Better hook up the trailer! Do you have it painted yet?
Not painted yet and still debating if I'm going to do it. The hi/low shelter I'm picking up next month is camo but it'd be easier to paint it tan than painting the trailer green. But it will be going to Big Bend in Oct.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great weekend camping! The truck did fantastic on the way up but had fan issues again on the way back. I'm not sure why sitting for 48 hours would cause an issue but the temps started climbing on the way home and no fan. Once it hit 210 I found the first convenience store and pulled in.

I tried pulling CB 22 out to kick the fan on but it didn't work so plugged it back in then used Suprman's trick of draining the air tanks. Once the truck was cooled down enough I drove on for about 10 miles before the temps started rising and stopped a second time. I pulled the breaker again and still didn't get the fan but this time I left it out before draining the tanks. Once it cooled and I hit the road the fan stayed on the rest of the trip and ran at about 185*. I'm not sure why it wasn't kicking on by pulling the CB but happy I figured out a way to keep it on. It would have been a long trip home stopping every 10 miles to drain the air tanks then wait for them to refill.

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, I know that scruffy little mule!

Glad you came up with a workable fan solution, for the near term at least.
I also made it home safely, it's a long slow trip driving through hilly terrain in an M185. :)

For those who don't know, mkcoen is a dutch oven master. He not only did the dinner cooking on this campout, but provided the ingredients as well, and it all comes out wonderful. Thanks! [thumbzup]
In the late evenings, everyone fairly waddled back to their rigs after dinner and visiting, to try to sleep it off.

Cheers

Attachments

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, Is it possible there is still a bubble in the coolant system somewhere? I know you've checked, but it is still acting that way

Another Ahab

For those who don't know, mkcoen is a dutch oven master. He not only did the dinner cooking on this campout, but provided the ingredients as well, and it all comes out wonderful. Thanks!
Cheers
My hat's off to the master!

In the early era of my backpacking, I used to pack super light (my buddies and me would typically take off for 2-3 weeks of walking, up into the mountains).

Then I got lazy, and made the switch to wilderness canoeing (where a 17' boat can haul a 1,000 lbs of gear):
- I learned the art of the Dutch Oven. :jumpin:

And the bonus was tucking that still-toasty cast-iron lid in the foot of your bag at night, so you could drift off warm and cozy. The best! [thumbzup]

coachgeo

...the temps started rising and stopped a second time. I pulled the breaker again and still didn't get the fan but this time I left it out before draining the tanks. Once it cooled and I hit the road the fan stayed on the rest of the trip ....
When you hit the road again and it stayed on...... had you left out the breaker or replaced it after tanks filled?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, Is it possible there is still a bubble in the coolant system somewhere? I know you've checked, but it is still acting that way
It's likely. I don't know if adding an anti-cavitation additive would help or not. The location of the sensor is another of the poorly designed aspects of the truck. I'd think they would have put it somewhere that it would always be submerged instead of the bend of a pipe where there could be a gap caused by an air bubble.

A few more of the camping area, and the silverback leaving this morning.
I won't take offense as I know you're talking about the unpainted tailgate but I was wearing a grey Carhart this morning. Just saying. :)

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you hit the road again and it stayed on...... had you left out the breaker or replaced it after tanks filled?
The second time I had left it out. That's why I think the fan simply stayed on. I don't know if the solenoid was sticking so didn't activate when just pulling the CB or if it needed the tanks emptied a second time to get it to trip. Either way, pulling the CB, leaving it out, AND draining the tanks caused the fan to stay on.

But big question is how to make sure it works with everything together like it's supposed to work. Field Expediency is fine in an emergency but I'd like the truck to function properly the rest of the time.

reloader64

Hey, I know that scruffy little mule!

Glad you came up with a workable fan solution, for the near term at least.
I also made it home safely, it's a long slow trip driving through hilly terrain in an M185. :)

For those who don't know, mkcoen is a dutch oven master. He not only did the dinner cooking on this campout, but provided the ingredients as well, and it all comes out wonderful. Thanks! [thumbzup]
In the late evenings, everyone fairly waddled back to their rigs after dinner and visiting, to try to sleep it off.

Cheers
Mark is indeed the Dutch oven master! Due to recent rotator cuff repair, I can't drive my deuce. But I drove the POV down for the day Saturday. I stuffed my face with Mark's cooking Saturday night, then drove the hour and 15 minutes home. Hard to stay awake when your stomach is that full, but totally worth it!

Scott

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks