• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My bet is the solenoid is sticking open and always allowing air to the fan. Mine was acting up and I took it apart and cleaned it. The solenoid was sticking due to bits of rubber from the needle tip falling off and making the needle stick. I ordered a new replacement however so far the cleaned solenoid is working. Doesn't seem like the best design, the solenoid is mounted upside down and any debris that gets to the needle area will work its way down into the solenoid.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had the good fortune of Keith_J needing to borrow my battery charger this morning. I had to head out for a Dr appointment and while I was gone he pulled the solenoid out and cleaned it up. We'll see if that does the trick.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Appears that Keith's cleaning job did the trick. I took the truck out to refuel and ran it up and down the highway until the fan kicked in. Since it was also working on the way over Friday I'll need to take it back out later in the week and test it again. I'm willing to bet that did the trick but sure don't want to be in the middle of no where and not have a fan.

And I was able to get a good reading on the fuel mileage. It was 6.34 mpg for this trip. Lots of short hills so I'm guessing a flatter trip will increase that some. Beats 5.5 mpg which is what I was fearing.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well change of plans. After careful consideration I decided I was probably never going to use the M1082 so therefore wouldn't need the hi/lo shelter. Once I came to that decision I found a good home for the 1082 and bid it farewell. Instead I plan on taking a spare M116 and turning it into an expedition camper in the vane of something like a Turtleback or Patriot Trailer. That of course will have to wait for the next 8-12 weeks since I broke my kneecap last Friday and can't put any weight on my right leg for that amount of time. It's all fun and games until someone winds up in a thigh to ankle leg brace. Stay upright my friends!

Another Ahab

Well change of plans. After careful consideration I decided I was probably never going to use the M1082 so therefore wouldn't need the hi/lo shelter. Once I came to that decision I found a good home for the 1082 and bid it farewell. Instead I plan on taking a spare M116 and turning it into an expedition camper in the vane of something like a Turtleback or Patriot Trailer. That of course will have to wait for the next 8-12 weeks since I broke my kneecap last Friday and can't put any weight on my right leg for that amount of time. It's all fun and games until someone winds up in a thigh to ankle leg brace. Stay upright my friends!
Sure hope that knee mends up good and strong, mkcoen; sorry for your mishap.

Those turtle trailers look pretty handy; where did you hear about them?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those turtle trailers look pretty handy; where did you hear about them?
expeditionportal.com

The Patriot Trailers out of Australia are awesome also. The only problem is that both of these run between $20-30k. As much as I would like to have that kind of money sitting around can't say that I do.

coachgeo

Do like Allan (agazza2) is doing and plop an Ambulance box on top of a Trailer. If the wheel wells line up.. might can plop one on a M116.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do like Allan (agazza2) is doing and plop an Ambulance box on top of a Trailer. If the wheel wells line up.. might can plop one on a M116.
Allan's build is super but I'd be concerned with the center of gravity with something that size. Plus you need a Class A license in TX to run it.

As the M116 is only 3/4 ton doubt I'd find much of an ambulance body that would fit on it.

And, personally, when I go camping, I like "camping" to be part of it.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like a lot of your gear follows me home...in this case literally... ;)
And it stays in the family, so all is good.

It is now one of very few (maybe the only?) M1082 with USMC markings on it!
The rear paint was a quicky for the Texas Independence Day parade last Saturday, the whole trailer is going green as soon as the weather dries up a bit.

I'm thinking this trailer will go nicely behind the M813.

I have already determined that, with very little work, the LMTV troop seat set I have will fit right into the trailer. So the M105A3 will be designated a different role that doesn't require seats, since that is where those were slated to go.

No more of those fancy dance steps in your driveway, ya hear?

Cheers

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a real nice trailer; makes a good looking combination.

That trailer's riding on a pintle hook; and not being carried by the fifth wheel, right?
Correct. Big ol' pintle hook!

I took this picture after replacing the emergency side air hose. The hose was already damaged when we picked it up at Ft Hood for mkcoen. It looks like someone had driven off with it still attached to a truck, and ripped the glad hand off the truck end. The rest of the hose looked a little worse for wear, so I just replaced the whole thing.

I have an MTV 5-ton tarp on the M813, so the trailer with LMTV tarp on it will match nicely.

Cheers

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I can't' even get into the truck let alone work on it while the knee is mending but I noticed that the front tires were starting to get a little low so I got the ladder out and was able to reach in and fire the truck up so the CTIS could air things up. Big mistake on my part. I haven't looked at the TM yet to see which specific valve it is but the one on the right frame rail directly beside the transfer case started dumping air as soon as the CTIS kicked in. Now instead of 2 low tires on the front I have 2 flat tires. Anyone try rebuilding this one yet or do I just need to replace it? Either way it's going to be fun trying to work on it without being able to bend my right knee.

IMG_5448.jpg

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I highly doubt that the dump valve is the problem; they don't usually go bad. Tons of questions to ask first but did the rears go down any while the front two were deflating? Did you hit runflat at startup?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I highly doubt that the dump valve is the problem; they don't usually go bad. Tons of questions to ask first but did the rears go down any while the front two were deflating? Did you hit runflat at startup?
Just the fronts. Once the CTIS kicked in I got 5 flashing lights so nothing on the control panel worked.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just the fronts. Once the CTIS kicked in I got 5 flashing lights so nothing on the control panel worked.
Was the system working properly before? And when you got the 5 flashing lights did the dump valves stay open and continue to deflate the tires?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was the system working properly before? And when you got the 5 flashing lights did the dump valves stay open and continue to deflate the tires?
Everything was working fine when it was parked a couple of days after my knee injury. Keith_J came over and repositioned both the 1078 and my deuce as I had moved them the day of the accident so he put everything back in place for me. The truck has since been sitting for about 6 weeks. The dump valve and the 5 flashing lights were going on at the same time. I tried shutting the truck down and airing up the tires with my shop compressor but the valve remained open letting air out.