• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Austin is a little piece of transplanted California. Seriously, half the people living here now seem to be from there, way different than it was 30 years ago, when it was still a very "Texas" city. Unfortunately, they brought their California ways with them. Nothing against California, it's just a very different place than what Texans are used to.
I'd have moved away, but I was kinda tied to the place, since I worked for the city for 28 years. Now my kids live near here, so...
But while my avatar says Austin, I actually live in the country about 20 miles out of town.

In defense of Texans, I recently stopped in an MV on a gravel area just off the road to wait for a couple of other MV'ers so we could convoy to an event together. Didn't have the hood open or other sign of distress. Several people stopped to see if I needed anything, one ol' gal even insisted I take a bottle of cold water!

I guess it depends on what day it is, and who actually drives by.

Cheers

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess it depends on what day it is, and who actually drives by.
Well there's a large number of outstanding people in the area just not Austin itself. If Sarge hadn't been on his way the one person that did stop would have covered us. I was just surprised no one else stopped.

On a side note, there probably would be one that stopped as JUST as we were pulling out a civilian driving a HMMWV towing an 1101 drove by. I'll just live with the thought that I'm sure HE would have stopped.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Here in CT no one will stop for anything. I found a guy lying in the road one day a few years ago, everyone was just driving around him. I used my car to block traffic so the poor guy wouldnt get ran over and people were honking and swearing at me out their windows because now I was in their way.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I had to lower the tire in order to get the front of the cargo cover secured because of the position of the right side hooks (even the TM tells you to do this). The problem is I don't have the OEM chain so thought I could let it go for the trip to Austin. I made it but obvious why it needed secured. The front panel pooched up and over the front of the bed. No damage but certainly not something I wanted to leave that way.

Without the original chain I had to improvise so just took a 6' section chain from the shop and a couple of clevis pins. Unfortunately while trying to lower the tire it wedged itself between the top of the toolbox and the lowing arm. After much effort raising the bar back up and working it with a crowbar I was finally able to get it down. I'm going to try cinching up the chain to see if it goes back up easier than it came down. I'd like to get it working smoothly so I can demonstrate it (by leaving it in the down position) at the car show this weekend.

IMG_4290.jpgIMG_4291.jpg

As for people stopping, I think the vast majority of people don't even realize that these vehicles (LMTV or otherwise) can be owned outside of the military. Therefore, most people probably assume that help/support is on the way if they see a MV on the side of the road. Just my 2cents.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your chain is too short. Also did you have the chain fed through a bolt hole or through the hub opening?

I know the Michelin are a pain to get back up as the lugs of the thread get caught in the lifting arm. I never done a Goodyear tire, so I don't know it it's a lot easier. I'll measure the chain I have in a bit.
The chain is through the hub opening. I'll try loosening the chain up the trip back up. It'll probably be with the manual pump after all the moving I've been doing with the power one. Guessing I'm close to being out of air. I could lower the cab and air the tanks back up but I'd just have to lift the cab again to ratchet the strap down. The heat index is only 108 today so what the heck.

aleigh

As for people stopping, I think the vast majority of people don't even realize that these vehicles (LMTV or otherwise) can be owned outside of the military. Therefore, most people probably assume that help/support is on the way if they see a MV on the side of the road. Just my 2cents.
I would second that. "Are you a recruiter" is a common question I get asked which I guess is a creative way for someone to get over the cognitive dissonance of a guy in civilian clothes driving a camo LMTV. Lots of guys think it's a unimog. Hey nice mog etc.

Factory length on the chain including the carabiners is 55".

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeh I wimped out and lowered the cab. It was definitely easier with more slack in the chain but still had to fight getting it all the way seated. Waaaaay too much trouble for a car show. I had a step ladder and crowbar to help at home so don't need the hassle for something most people wouldn't even notice.

aleigh

The chain is through the hub opening. I'll try loosening the chain up the trip back up. It'll probably be with the manual pump after all the moving I've been doing with the power one. Guessing I'm close to being out of air. I could lower the cab and air the tanks back up but I'd just have to lift the cab again to ratchet the strap down. The heat index is only 108 today so what the heck.
Just start the truck with the cab up, that's what I do if it's tipped and I run out of air. There's no harm in it.

Another Ahab

Here in CT no one will stop for anything. I found a guy lying in the road one day a few years ago, everyone was just driving around him. I used my car to block traffic so the poor guy wouldnt get ran over and people were honking and swearing at me out their windows because now I was in their way.
I was witness to the same thing once in Brooklyn NY (but this was almost 25-30 years back); couldn't believe it. Had some buddies with me, we stopped. The guy was incoherently drunk, guess everybody knew him; a neighborhood "regular" maybe. LEO showed up shortly thereafter and we went on our way. Just a part of our memorable adventure in The Big Apple.

TexAndy

Just start the truck with the cab up, that's what I do if it's tipped and I run out of air. There's no harm in it.

Will it fill the air tanks to hook up his shop air compressor to the truck's service gladhand?

Mark doesn't have a ton of agility and I don't want him breaking his head open trying to start the truck with the cab up

aleigh

Will it fill the air tanks to hook up his shop air compressor to the truck's service gladhand?

Mark doesn't have a ton of agility and I don't want him breaking his head open trying to start the truck with the cab up
That's weird, the site is clipping off your 2nd line. As far as I know no you can't fill the service tanks from either set of glad hands. The front ones just run the brakes and the rear ones are downstream of the brake control valves and probably check valves.

I find it's easiest to start it tipped with a short step ladder - one short enough to get under the door. But if he is going to be having this problem often I really recommend installing an A1-style start switch under the cab. That way he can easily start and stop the truck from the ground. It's on my list of things to-do...

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the term is "clumsy as an ox." I'm waiting for the day I do a header out of the bed or getting down from the cab. I'm just hoping it's turf and not concrete I land on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks