• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M37

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More progress. Front fenders back together and mounted as well as the bed floor. We've got the side panels painted and ready to reinstall just need to get some more bolts to fasten it all back together. I got all new floor bolts but forgot to get new nuts so need to pick some of those up as well.

Last major items are the doors, windshield frame, and hood. The hood is prepped and ready for paint and the w/s frame is apart but needs blasted. The doors will probably be ready to spray on Wed and then back on the cab. We're throwing in little things as we go and as we find them under the piles of the bigger things but it's almost back together. Then on to wiring. Yippee!

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you'll have it ready by Veteran's Day. Are y'all going to be there this year?

Scott
The goal is to have it done by the picnic and bring it then. I really need to find a trailer since I don't think I want to drive it between here and Austin.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking for a driver's seat if anyone has a spare. The one with this truck is barely holding on to the bottom due to rust through. I'd try Midwest but don't think I can afford one of their's.

Keith_J

It is going to be a great painting day. Why? Hurricane/tropical storm Isaac is far enough to the east it is wringing the humidity out of the air. Meaning less sweat and faster drying times on the paint.

Yes, sweat was a problem a few times.

Keith_J

This was a fun day. We only had doors to sand, that was a bit dirty as there were layers of running, brush-applied paint and a few defects to feather. Sanding is the big work, spraying is downright fun in comparison. Especially when done in air conditioned comfort. Without fumes of solvent-based paint. Garden hose cleanup.

Now comes assembly :p. Taper pin punch will be the most used tool I fear.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another couple of milestones. Doors are back on and the bed is back together (if not completely bolted all the way around). The only big pieces left to install are the tailgate and (not really big) the headlamps and lamp grilles. Tailgate is painted and just needs bolted on but there are all these little pieces of things floating around yet.

Attachments

Last edited:

Keith_J

Ugh! I remembered in addition to the wheels, the spare tire carrier needs stripping. Tomorrow I will wear a dust mask when using the wire wheel. Also, doing it outside during the cooler morning will help.

Shooting color (Sinai Gray is a color 2cents) in the afternoon should make this vehicle nearly complete. A year ago, I thought the wiring would be a major issue. Now, it is just a single punch list item:)

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"...but there are all these little pieces of things floating around yet."

"A year ago, I thought the wiring would be a major issue. Now, it is just a single punch list item."

Keith_J

Those are "classic" phrases to describe working on MVs! The first one will be true as long as you own MVs. Mine has been restored twice and after 30+ years there are STILL "all these little pieces of things floating around".

That is just too funny! :)

Keep at it! Your truck looks great! :beer:

Storm 51

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been working on vehicles since I got my first pickup (1952 Chevy) when I was 14 (1978 ) and I can honestly say I really wish I had started with MVs back then. Painting parts on the floor of the shop and then just bolting them on 1/2 hour later sure beats the heck out "sand, sand, more sand, mask, gear up, paint, color sand, buff, etc, etc."

Barrman

I feel the same way Mark. I prefer MV's over everything else now.

Looking good. You just might make the picnic next week. I am just sorry I can't make the truck debut event.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Inching along with some more painting and reinstallation of parts.

Pics:
1) marker and tail lights just painted
2) one of the spare tire (we're not dismounting this one as it's the original Israeli tire)
3) Hebrew marking on the spare
4) Headlight buckets back on

Took one of the front tires to Discount to have it dismounted and found out they won't touch a 2 piece even if it's deflated. Got the name of a local dealer that is supposed to be willing to do it so will give that a try some time this week. I have 4 new tires and will be swapping them out 1 at a time so we can prep and paint the wheels before putting the new tires on. Since the spare is staying the same we painted the wheel while it was still mounted.

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still plodding along. Little pieces are going back on a few at a time. Tried to order a tool box latch (the part inside the tool box) from Vintage Powerwagons but they didn't have one. Lucky because I found one in a box of bolts about 20 minutes later.

Last of the major parts besides the tailgate and windshields went on today and that was the rear fenders. The new welting stands out but looks kind of good against the paint. The last 2 wheels will hopefully be painted tomorrow and we can set it back on the ground and start the wiring.

Here's a pic of the right fender in place and the left side of the dash panel with all the info plates reinstalled.

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up a rust (through) free driver's seat today and a set of hinges for the troop seats. Getting close to having all the parts together and just needing to clean a few up and paint. All the wheels have been stripped and primed, 2 painted and on the truck, so that part is about over as well. It's getting close to the only thing left being the wiring and wheel cylinders. I keep saying that and they keep being there to be done. I was hoping they'd surprise me and do themselves.

If anyone has the cargo box stakes for the side and head ache rack and need to get rid of them I'm in the market. Midwest Military has NOS ones but I already cashed in my 401k a few years ago so really can't afford theirs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks