• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working On The M561 Gama Goat

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark that looks much better. I too have a tire dilemma, I have like new tread but a lot of sidewall rot, not quite as bad as the one pictured. Most of them are recap tires. I did have all the lifting rings, rear shackles in the mail. I have two styles of those tailgate bumpers as well, one carrier has dual bumpers on each side and one has singles.
I had the single bumpers originally but they were bent up so I ordered some NOS ones from Red River. I have a couple extra rubber pieces that I just need to clean up and put on. I still haven't decided whether I'm going to put the pintle hitch back on or not. I like the tailgate step but I also like the idea of being able to tow a trailer if I want to and I can't really put the tailgate down for the step without denting it on the hitch.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a little bit of work on the gun mount pintle. Too pitted to get back to "original" but since it's not really critical to be a "working" unit I'm just happy to get the rust stopped and make it pivot fairly smoothly.

The ammo can holder portion was also damaged and Keith_J was able to get it straightened back to just about perfect but I didn't get any before/after shots. I need to clean it up a bit and paint it and will get some shots then.

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Got a little bit of work on the gun mount pintle. Too pitted to get back to "original" but since it's not really critical to be a "working" unit I'm just happy to get the rust stopped and make it pivot fairly smoothly.
That's a real good job you did there cleaning up the old rust, mkcoen.

I was just in my local West Marine store here yesterday to pick up some tried-and-true Naval Jelly for a little rust project that I encountered, and was told there that the product has gone the way of the dinosaurs (it's been a while since I used the stuff).

What did you do to clean that all up?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Five down and 1 to go.

EDIT: All 6 shoes now replaced! If I can get the brake lights working it'll be time to see if I can do 60MPH on the highway.

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spent most of my time working on the M60 cradle. If I was going to do it right (which obviously means I'm not going to do it right) I'd take it completely apart and paint it. Since I don't want to have to try and mess with all the safety wire I'm just painting it as-is.

The other thing I did today was install the NOS tailgate chains.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Spent most of my time working on the M60 cradle. If I was going to do it right (which obviously means I'm not going to do it right) I'd take it completely apart and paint it. Since I don't want to have to try and mess with all the safety wire I'm just painting it as-is.
Everything about that Goat of yours is exceptionally right. It couldn't look any better.

Just the fact that you're going to all this trouble for the restoration is right. Carry on, Brother. It is all perfection to behold. [thumbzup]

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I was going to do it right (which obviously means I'm not going to do it right) I'd take it completely apart and paint it. Since I don't want to have to try and mess with all the safety wire I'm just painting it as-is.
It's still "right", you're doing a field modification as opposed to a higher echelon overhaul. ;)

Cheers

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like it topless and windowless. It matches the wife's M37 that way.

If I found a set of top bows I might reconsider but it's a whole lot easier getting in and out of it without the top and since the top is gone it looks good without the windshield. Tactically speaking you want less reflective surfaces too.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's still "right", you're doing a field modification as opposed to a higher echelon overhaul. ;)
Yes but even the Unit Armorer had one of those spinny pliers thingies that did the safety wire. I'm not about to try and do that with a set of vise grips.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes but even the Unit Armorer had one of those spinny pliers thingies that did the safety wire. I'm not about to try and do that with a set of vise grips.
I have one of those "spinny pliers thingies", you are welcome to use it. ;)

Cheers

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up an Airsoft Vietnam M60 on e*ay this weekend. It's used but looks in very servicable condition and including shipping was about $200 less than a new one. It won't be here in time for the Soldier's Angels Rodeo this weekend but I should have it for the next static display event. Just down to finding a correct Blackout Light guard and maybe the hull plugs and I should be done for parts.

Spending today getting the Pioneer Tools painted up and ready to install.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got some GoatMail today. Problem is I think the UPS guy ate the quart of blueberries I was sure would be included. Oh well. The seats are primo enough. Compare them to the ones I had with rust fused latches and no release cables. These are as close to perfect as I could ever hope for. Thanks Mark!

Attachments

Last edited:

m38inmaine

August is blueberry season here, so be sure to have me send some parts then. When I send something I want it to be right, taking the extra time to rebuild the latches for you is part of that. My other set of seats has chain instead of cable so I guess there are two types out there. Enjoy.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started working on the new troop seats. It's in the upper 90's this afternoon. Aluminum + dark green paint + direct sunlight + 97 = OUCH! I got 2 bolts in then decided to let it go until tomorrow morning. TexAndy is coming up to try and help with the brake lights and I might just see if I can't clear enough room in the shop to move it inside.

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Worked on the lights yesterday and got everything working except the right rear. Tail light works but nothing else. While testing got some flickering like there was a short somewhere and starting to wonder if the internals are grounding out. I don't know enough about electronics to determine what or where it might be occuring so going to simply shop for another housing and try swapping to see if that is it. We have power (as obvious from the tail light) and there are only 2 other wires to swap and doing that provided the same results. Unfortunately I sold several tail lights at the Convention and the only housing I saved has the internals stripped so it might be a bit before I get the chance to try it. There was a suggestion to swap the left over to the right to see if that works but it's a pain in the a$$ to get the plugs through the hole to begin with and I've got 1 working brake light and I'm not going to give that up for a trial run on the other side. I'll just bide my time until I get another one.

I got a line on a possible cab cover frame last night. If that pans out I guess I'll go ahead and add it even though I like it topless.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks