• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working On The M561 Gama Goat

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeh I wouldn't even try. Keith_J is the expert around here with lots of alum/weld experience. I just need to be able to bribe him with lunch and hope he can clear his schedule (bleu cheese bacon burger waiting in case he sees this).

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keith_J stopped by today and welded up the corner of the engine cover. We got everything back in line on the cover itself but it's still bent and sits cockeyed on the Goat. Outside of being able to twist it back or replace it I'm going to have to live with it the way it is.

Since the weather was nice (around 80) I decided to do some additional items. The control panel had been redrilled, painted, scratched, bent, and a number of other types of damage and needed replaced. I was able to find a new one but unfortunately it is not nearly as heavy duty as the original. So what I wound up doing was put the wimpy plate over top of the old on. You can see in the picture of it taken apart that I found some more yellow paint and some more blast sand - it will never end.

I also replaced all 3 of the shift knobs. I plan on taking it to the TX SS Rally at the end of the month and part of that is a convoy to The Museum Of The American GI and want it to be comfortable to drive.

IMG_4019.jpgIMG_4020.jpgIMG_4026.jpgIMG_4022.jpgIMG_4023.jpgIMG_4024.jpgIMG_4025.jpg

combat32

That panel looks nice, any more of those available?

I would give you my steel hood, it is straight but you would need to figure out a way to fix the hinge.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That panel looks nice, any more of those available?

I would give you my steel hood, it is straight but you would need to figure out a way to fix the hinge.
I believe I got the panel from MuttParts. They were reasonably priced but definitely not OEM in quality.

Thanks for the offer on the hood but think I'd probably be in about the same predicament. It opens and closes so I'll live with it that way unless I just stumble across one that's near perfect.

combat32

I think I prefer the look of the aluminum hood, the steel hood really changed the look of the truck, and it's really heavy compared to aluminum one.

I think the insert for the windshields is the same on both, the one out of the steel hood is in pretty good shape if you could use it.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On those switch plates,yes Rich @ Mutt Parts is the supplier......but please note....
These were supplied to be an overlay of the original.....not a standalone replacement.....Just a tidbit of info...popacom out....

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On those switch plates,yes Rich @ Mutt Parts is the supplier......but please note....
These were supplied to be an overlay of the original.....not a standalone replacement.....Just a tidbit of info...popacom out....
Guess I lucked in to doing it right.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keith_J stopped by today to help me rewind the winch cable. I took it off last February before the Goat got blasted and with everything going on with painting it then the motor crapping out we never got a chance to reinstall it.

The deuce worked great as a drag weight to keep tension on the cable. In all likelihood that'll be the last time the cable is even unspooled.

IMG_4041.jpgIMG_4043.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks