• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working On The M561 Gama Goat

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
cover that goat or it will turn white and get eat up by the sun
Unfortunately I have no indoor parking for it at this time. I keep the cab covered since I don't have a top but haven't covered the back before. Guess I'll need to see about buying more tarps and bungees.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be careful opening the tailgate if your tarp dips and fills up with water. ;)

I am reminded of the Temple air show some years ago when a buddy, who's own truck was down, used my Unimog as his vehicle for the weekend.
We had one of the usual frog-strangler rains overnight, and though the Mog had a tank tarp covering it for the storm, there was no center support over the bed, so the tarp just sank into the bed and filled almost completely with water. I don't know how much, but it was enough to make the back of the truck hunker down. Gallonage would likely be measured in hundreds.
Anyway, he decides to drain it by opening the tail-gate.
I said "Um, Jeff.... that's a lot of water..."
He says "I'll open it slowly".
Well, it didn't happen that way. He was knocked on his tail by the sudden rush of Moggie Falls, and was sitting on the ground completely drenched in short order. He was a bit grumpy until he dried out.

Cheers

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
You could make some wheel chock like platforms to raise the center wheels when parked. That would put enough pitch on the bed to let the water roll out if the tailgate was cracked. I also thought about putting in a trailer drain plug from a M416, or the aluminum equivalent. Just have to remember to close it when going swimming.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking real good Mark. [thumbzup]
Hopefully I can take some better pics tomorrow. The sun was a bit too bright for me to see what I was shooting with my phone this afternoon. There is an extremely nice deuce there and a bobber. Not sure we're going to get any more. Lots of nice custom and classic cars.

Another Ahab

Hopefully I can take some better pics tomorrow. The sun was a bit too bright for me to see what I was shooting with my phone this afternoon. There is an extremely nice deuce there and a bobber. Not sure we're going to get any more. Lots of nice custom and classic cars.
I don't want to encourage Driving-and-Drifting, but a couple pics of the best cars sure would be sweet.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Tom. I'll still be hanging around. Someone has to bug you to keep working on yours :)

As I'm sure there's a spot of yellow somewhere on that tranny you recovered we can always have comfort in knowing the Waffle House Express is still in the family.

Now rustle me up someone to buy it!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With mixed emotions I must report the sale of the Goat. It was purchased by another SS member but I'll let him announce that, if he decides to do so. I'll get to take it for one more ride from here to AL some time next week so it'll be almost half way back to where it started in NC. Luckily TexAndy just made a purchase from GL in Clarksville, TN so I was able to con him into another Goat adventure. So once again one of my "Working on the..." threads ends with me selling the item. I'm thinking I probably shouldn't start one if I get a LMTV and want to keep it :)

wsucougarx

Ahh, one of my favorite threads comes to a close. You were one of my inspirations to get one of these unique trucks. I guess all good things must come to a close. Best of luck on your next adventure. I'm looking forward to seeing what it may be;-)

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just this of all the experience you gained with each vehicle. Hope your treatments went well and you are ready for the LMTV shortly. [thumbzup]

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just this of all the experience you gained with each vehicle. Hope your treatments went well and you are ready for the LMTV shortly. [thumbzup]
I was finally feeling back to "pre-treatment" levels and then got hit with a bad case of bronchitis thanks to our abundance of oak pollen. Another week of feeling crappy and I should be back to "normal."

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the Goat is delivered. TexAndy and I made a 2200 mile round trip to AL to deliver it over the weekend. Everything on the trip went fine until it was time to start it to take it off the trailer at the new owner's house and, of course, it wouldn't start. Turned out one of the batteries had given up between the time I loaded it on the trailer in March and when we dropped it off. The new owner was still completely happy and refused to let me buy a new battery for it. I think it's found a good home and hopefully he'll continue to enjoy it as much as he did yesterday.

Here are a couple of parting shots from Andy's house as I was picking him up for the trip. Vaya con Dios Waffle House Express.

IMG_4100.jpgIMG_4101.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks