• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working On The M923A2

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you try Cummins with the serial number of the engine.
Yep still no luck. They tried sending a pic of a part off the fuel rail to see if that was it. I emailed back the page out of the TM showing it going right on top of the fuel transfer pump but haven't heard back from them. Any time I call I just get dumped into voice mail and have to wait for them.

I did get the part off so may just go down tomorrow and hand it to them to see if they can find it. Unfortunately the decal that might have had a part number on it is CARC'd over so no luck there.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heard back from the local dealer and now they're saying that's a "manufacturer part." Well, duh. Aren't they part of that affiliation? Don't you go to a Cummins Parts Dealer for a manufactured Cummins part?

Back to the "plug it and forget." scenario I guess.

Last edited:

Keith_J

A search on the -24P TM under 'transducer' reveals the following, with my comments in parenthesis and the beef in red:

10 (item on figure 145), PAFZZ (SMR code, meaning a stocked part that field support can replace and cannot repair/adjust) 6695-01-146-7132 (NSN), 19207 (CAGEC, meaning who supplies the part to the federal supply system), 12258932-7 (manufacturers part number), TRANSDUCER,MOTIONAL
UOC: DAC,DAD,DAE,DAF,DAG,DA
H,DAJ,DAL,DAW,DAX,V14,V15,V16,
V17,V18,V19,V20,V21,V22,V24,ZAA,
ZAB,ZAC,ZAD,ZAE,ZAF,ZAG,ZAH,Z
AJ,ZAL (M923A2 is code ZAA)

Keith_J

And if you work fast, there is an auction with that part coming up for auction ;). Actually, 6 of those transducers, look new. Plus a host of other goodies. The USATACOM CAGEC means Cummins did not supply it.

I have a fuel pressure gauge in the SECM we could use to see if the final filter is indeed clogged. That would make for higher pressure which can cause this item to leak. Now off to the -20 TM to see what acceptable fuel pressure should be..

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A search on the -24P TM under 'transducer' reveals the following, with my comments in parenthesis and the beef in red:

10 (item on figure 145), PAFZZ (SMR code, meaning a stocked part that field support can replace and cannot repair/adjust) 6695-01-146-7132 (NSN), 19207 (CAGEC, meaning who supplies the part to the federal supply system), 12258932-7 (manufacturers part number), TRANSDUCER,MOTIONAL
UOC: DAC,DAD,DAE,DAF,DAG,DA
H,DAJ,DAL,DAW,DAX,V14,V15,V16,
V17,V18,V19,V20,V21,V22,V24,ZAA,
ZAB,ZAC,ZAD,ZAE,ZAF,ZAG,ZAH,Z
AJ,ZAL (M923A2 is code ZAA)
And this is what I get for the Vendor:

US ARMY TANK AUTOMOTIVE COMMAND
1(586) 514-5000
11 MILE RD.
WARREN, MI 48397-5000

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice day today (80*) so was able to get the wipers painted and installed. Pulled the Fuel Pressure Transducer and plugged it up with a brass fitting and a little Permitex thread sealant. Stopped the leak but then the truck wouldn't start. Rut-rhro. Bled the lines figuring the swap out let a little air in and after a few long, held breaths it fired and ran fine. Onward to the CTIS!

Keith_J

Ok, so the x-ducer doesn't have any impact on engine op. Probably for electric priming pump and ether injection system control. I still have yet to locate a suitable wiring diagram on these new style TMs. Work packages just seem vague.

Hawssie

I have been reading this thread for possible future problems/info but I cant seem to figure out where the electric priming pump is? I found one listed for the old motor but were talking about an A2 right. I know where the hand primer is... If it doesn't have one then I am really wondering what this pressure transducer is for. It must tell the control box the engine is running maybe? Seems like a oil pressure sending unit could dl that.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been reading this thread for possible future problems/info but I cant seem to figure out where the electric priming pump is? I found one listed for the old motor but were talking about an A2 right. I know where the hand primer is... If it doesn't have one then I am really wondering what this pressure transducer is for. It must tell the control box the engine is running maybe? Seems like a oil pressure sending unit could dl that.
Here's a picture from the TM. Item #1 is the transducer. It sits on top of the hand primer. If you look in the parts TM it isn't shown but instead has a plug there.

View attachment Motor diagram.pdf

Jason O

The transducer is used with the STE/ICE diagnostic tool (test port under the dash). It has no control over the either start, protective box, etc. A2 trucks have no electric priming or lift pump. 8.3 6cta pumps are engine driven with a hand primer.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The transducer is used with the STE/ICE diagnostic tool (test port under the dash). It has no control over the either start, protective box, etc. A2 trucks have no electric priming or lift pump. 8.3 6cta pumps are engine driven with a hand primer.
Can you point me towards some documentation on this? So far haven't found anything in the TM addressing it (not to say it's not there but I certainly haven't been able to find it). The truck was able to hold prime while the transducer was attached. Once it was removed it has to be hand primed every other day. It may not be designed to do anything but it appears that it did any way. I'd like to be able to read something on it one way or the other.

Jason O

I can't really help you with specific TM pages. Hopefully someone will post a few screen shots of the schematics. Sounds like you're letting a bit of air into the system. Does the brass pipe plug you installed have thread sealant on it?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't really help you with specific TM pages. Hopefully someone will post a few screen shots of the schematics. Sounds like you're letting a bit of air into the system. Does the brass pipe plug you installed have thread sealant on it?
Yes I used Permatex thread sealer when I installed the plug.

PureMayhem

Hey Mkcoen, I picked my M923A2 from San Marcos on the 11[SUP]th[/SUP] along with Davo727. Thanks for letting me know what the bumper numbers meant. Based on your interpretation, mine is from B Btry 4th 133rd FA of the Texas National Guard. Like yours, my batteries were dead. I made the mistake of shutting it off in the armory parking lot while I was inspecting it. They had to bring out another truck to jump it again (my bad). The batteries are Hawkers from 2001 so will probably not revive but I will try. I bought 2 refurb Group 31’s from Interstate and they turn the engine over just fine. I had to take the wood out of the battery box because they are a little taller than the Hawkers. I do have an issue with my brake lights staying on all the time which I haven’t figured out yet (separate thread). I did find out by looking at the wiring diagram that there is a hot wire (lead 15) that goes from the battery to the starter solenoid and then to the light switch and if I am reading the schematic correctly it is 12 volts instead of 24 volts.
My wiper blades are bad also but I haven’t picked the new ones up yet and I seem to have that same leak from the brake pedal valve. When I turn the engine off I can hear the air leak in the intake. When I press the brake pedal just a fraction the leak stops. I also have a stuck fan clutch actuator that is leaking air all the time. My air tanks are pressuring down in about 30 minutes after I shut the engine off. I just replaced the small fuel filter tonight, but couldn’t get the inline fuel filter housing off so will have to try again tomorrow. My top is in great shape so I don’t have AC (yet). Most of the trucks in the yard had this feature when I went and looked at them before the auction. My CTIS is actually working so far so that is good.
M923A2 bumper 2.jpgM923A2 bumper 1.jpg

bertsbases

I was researching a fuel drain back problem when I came across your first post on this thread. I picked up one from the same location on the 5th. Good thing I brought the duct tape to stop up that "ac" that mine had also, since I was driving to Bastrop. They slaved mine off just before I got there & we also pulled down the road to check it over. My batteries were fairly hot by the time I got home, & I have been charging them one at a time to try to top them off. I previewed the day the sale started & looked real close at your tag on that "2001". The one I decided on showed a drivers front flat in the pics, but was changed to the spare when I inspected. Mine also has a '08 engine that I suspect hasn't been run too much because of the tan paint covering everything including the oil filter. The paperwork I found in mine wasn't nearly as complete as what you found. My fuel primer is different than yours, & I have ordered a seal to replace a bad one I found inside it. You guys are making me want to try to uncover those bumper numbers tomorrow. Thanks for making me want to sign up so I could post.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for making me want to sign up so I could post.
Welcome to the group. If you have a problem someone here has probably already had it and posted so a good place to learn what you need to know. And as I'm sure you've read already, DOWNLOAD THE TMs!! (oh, and read them too!)

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the A/C problem fixed on the 923 this afternoon. Unfortunately the old plastic was too brittle to reuse so the guy that fixed it for me had to use a new plastic channel. Not an exact fit but it works. It was a bit tighter getting it back on also. The picture shows the old channel on the left and the new piece on the right (notice the new piece has no "roll" to it). . Anyone doing this for the first time I recommend you get some spray silicon for the rubber rope channeling on the back of the door frame. It makes it go in a whole lot easier.

Only other thing I did today was install my new ABS tag from 25thIDAirAssault . If you want your truck to look "in service" I suggest you pick one up from him.

006.jpg008.jpg005.jpg

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well my new passenger seat cushions got here today so I did a little more work on the truck. The bottom cushion needs some serious cleaning so I didn't get it in but got the Smurf blue seat back changed out. Looks a little purplish in the pic but actually bluer in person.

009.jpg

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swapping out the fuel filters now. I changed the small spin-on, engine mounted fuel/water separator yesterday (NAPA 3472). Easy enough to do with a filter wrench, remove, fill new one will diesel, replace and you're good to go.

Today I started on the large canister filter. The thing is on this one, it doesn't appear to be in the TM for an A2. It's still on the truck but when I pulled it there was no filter in the canister just full of diesel (half of which I wound up wearing). Should there be one? Will it cause any restrictions if I replace it with an A1 filter? Should I just leave it as it was? Posted this on the "what did you do to your 5 ton" thread and maybe I'll get a quick answer there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks