• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the MKT

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Planning to but think I got something in the morning in town so probably won't get into it until 1300 or so. We're about 80 miles from the TX/LA border and need to get it unloaded at Stan's 1st.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i got mine opened up. has all the burners, gen with 11 hours, a bunch of water cans, cambros, juice dispensers.. no wires and no pots or pans

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got in at 1 this morning then back up at 7 so I'm still a little punch drunk and that's screwing with the MS.

Opened the trailer up but haven't jacked the top up as I just wanted to see what was there. Full compliment of Cambro including the ice chest. The one that I saw yesterday that I didn't recognize is an ice chest. My last Cambro ice chest didn't' have hinges on it and this one does so that threw me a bit. Also 2 extra Travel Cover pieces, a front and a left side. I'm going to check with a club member that bought my first MKT as he needs them but if he turns them down I'll post on the classifieds next.

There's an invertor that looks like it sat at the bottom of a mud hole for several months. Not sure if these might have been damaged or flooded during Katrina but looking further I found another invertor that looks brand new. Only the Cross Over cable (THANK YOU!) and the 2 burner cable though. Might be a trick finding the 4 burner cable.

Full set of new vinyl netting but the side walls are all canvas. I panicked for a while as there aren't any walkway covers installed and I didn't remember seeing them when I unloaded. Turned out they were piled in with the walls. They're a little rough and need a lot of cleaning but should still work.

No pots, pans, lights, fan or much misc items at all. There are 2 fire ext but I have to check the dates yet.

Of the 3 I've owned this was the most expensive and in the middle as far as items on board and overall condition. The generator was the selling point for me and (if it works) reason enough to get the trailer. The extra travel covers will help recover some of the cost and if I can find the other cable I'll have a fully operational MKT again.

I'll have pictures up later but right now I think it's nap time.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i started up my gen with one pull.. but the fuel lines were so dry rotted they started to leak first few seconds. yesterday i changed them all so now i need to get it started up. i might have a extra cable but not sure and i might have some side screens and covers too if your are bad

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I didn't get my nap but I did get some photos uploaded.

1) Using the big toys to load a trailer
2) Easier than using a Come-A-Long!
3) Good thing it's a 14k trailer
4) Finally Home
5) Lots of Cambros
6) Extra Front Travel Cover (SOLD)
7) One nice and one nasty invertor - but both work

035.jpg039.jpg044.jpg049.jpg053.jpg051.jpg054.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a couple of things noticed just from pulling everything out but not actually setting it up:

Missing:
1) 3 vent screens
2) Cutting board from right front cabinet
3) Both counter mounted (front) folding tables
4) 4 burner MBU cable
5) All pots and pans
6) Only floor mat is the center section

There's lots of minor damage to the cabinets like missing latches or door catches. I can fab those out of aluminum angle easily enough so not that big a deal.

The trailer was painted fairly recently. There was still masking tap on some sections of the floor(with paint on it) and the cable ends were all wrapped in masking tape. The problem is they didn't do a very good job of prepping before painting so there's lots of flaking paint underneath. I'll probably wire wheel it real quick and put another coat back over top of it.

The travel covers are also added in the not too distant past and are in extremely nice condition. Both the spare pieces (which I've sold already) were also very clean with no damage to them. The walkway covers look a little worse for wear but I won't know for sure until I get them cleaned and reinstalled.

Both invertors show power when plugged in but I haven't hooked them to a MBU yet to make sure they work. That'll be tomorrow as I'm still dragging and pulling out 6 MBUs doesn't seem like it would help that.

I only noticed one walkway cover pole that had a broken handrail bracket. Most trailers I've seen you run about 50% of the poles having a broken bracket.

I did find all 3 pieces of the griddle splash shield hidden under the drink dispensers.

The Cambro food containers all have inserts except 1. My last trailer had inserts in about half of them.

So other than the missing cable I'm pretty happy with the contents. I'll spend some time tomorrow trying to fire up the MBUs and tinkering with the generator to see if it works.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i started up my gen with one pull.. but the fuel lines were so dry rotted they started to leak first few seconds. yesterday i changed them all so now i need to get it started up. i might have a extra cable but not sure and i might have some side screens and covers too if your are bad
Thanks! I don't need the screens or covers but if you had an extra cable that'd be a lifesaver. Anything extra you need?

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i will see what all im missing this weekend.. i know im missing the cutting board. im not to much into needing to get it all right away. im going to sell my other one.. it will just be missing what i dont have for the one im keeping.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I just missed you guys pickup your trailers, the NG guy said he just loaded out two on one trailer! I haven't opened mine yet, I did tear up my left side vinyl covers during the trip, just in case you have no buyers!
James

CommoChief

Anyone have access to some authentic recipes
to whip-up on the MKT? Found several for
Stuff On The Shingle, and Cannonball sandwiches
but am looking for a legit source.

Thanks in advance...Bill

CommoChief

Hey John,

Great to hear from you and great news on the canopies.
I see you listed your 5 Ton with a For Sale sign...pic looks
sharp. A new member from up near Jatonka is looking for
a truck and yours would be a beaut.

Is your email up and running? If so I will send you a PM.

Bill

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fired all the MBUs up this morning. All but 1 lit first try. The one that did not start had a "BAD" tag on it but I just shut it down, powered it off and re-tried and it lit the second go around. Only 2 of the 6 had fuel cap gaskets. High hour meter was 251 and low was 16 with most of them being in the 150 range. I did use both of the invertors while testing them and they both work fine. That means the one that looks brand new is going in the shop and the other one, after a little cleaning, goes in the trailer.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fiddled with the generator some this afternoon. Apparently loosening even 1 hose clamp was too much work to drain the tank so they just cut the hose in 2 places. At least they left the clamps for me to reuse. Oil had been drained as well.

After getting the fluids in order I realized I didn't have any of the correct size fuel line and didn't really want to make a trip to town for it. I took a piece of clear rubber hose which was too small for the fuel tank side but would stretch over the fuel filter barb and stuck one end in a can of diesel. I took the fuel bowl off, filled it up with diesel, and reinstalled it. Then, instead of pull cranking a previously drained, unprimed engine I hooked up the slave cable to the 923 and then the generator (didn't even have to take the whole cable out of the tool box!). It was really nice to be able to work on it while it was sitting on the trailer deck. No bending over for long periods as everything was at about eye level.

I tried cranking a few times but no joy. As the fuel return line was rotted off I didn't want to force the issue and have fuel spraying all over so will have to wait until tomorrow when I can pick up some hose and try again.

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
only about half of mine had the metal inserts
Seems like all of them were hit and miss as to what was there and what wasn't. The thing I'm pretty miffed about is that they gave generators to all the folks that bought ones listed as "No Generator." Good for them for getting a deal but I went way higher than I wanted to on this one because of the generator. The other one I helped pick up was a MKT-99 (mine's a 90) and he got a generator with 17 hours on it (mine has 240). One more example of how GL screws up - in this case getting less money for a bunch of lots by listing them wrong.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keith_J came over today to help with the generator. A little extra bleeding at the hard line and it cranked pretty quickly. For some reason it took a couple of stop/starts for it to settle at 60hz and start producing power but seems fine now. With it sitting overnight with fuel in it we discovered a plethora of leaks. Changed the last 2 hoses that I hadn't already changed and Keith pulled the tank in order to take out a leaky petcock. Wound up having to cut it off as the nut on the inside had rust welded to the shaft. A little Keith_J MacGyver action and we had a replacement. All back together and snug as a bug. We'll see if it springs any new leaks tonight.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you call they will ususlly tell you what they know about the lot, I saw the gen. set number on the front of the MKT(w/o gen.) I wanted. They told me their was a gen set but they were not interesed enough to look up the hours for me, but the info helped.
James

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks