• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the MKT

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only place I've seen the crossover cables is in MKT's that had the MWO applied. I snagged a bunch of 4 outlet cables a couple of years ago, getting down into the short rows on them. Had to scramble to find two for the last 'order'. Two outlet cables for the oven side are also hard to find - I have a spare, but I'm keeping it as a spare.

The GFI outlet/plug has a wire that goes inside and down to the inverter where it will plug into. The platform is there mainly to keep the inverter off the floor (think water) and to be able to get to the power switch and outlet plugs (inverter should always be switched off when the burners are not being used.).

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I wound up having to do was find someone who converted their MKT to propane and get the cable off their trailer. I haven't seen any others out there anywhere. The other MWO items I'm just making myself (plug, cord, etc).

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up the extra griddle from a guy locally that had a couple (I believe he's gone through them though) and the MBUs I've been gathering for the last couple of years. I had 14 of them at one time but have traded or sold all the extras. I bought 8 off of eBay for $30 each and luckily the guy was within 30 miles of my house so no shipping.

You might try sending a PM to scranch18121. I believe he's got a couple for sale.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I finally got the crossover cable last weekend and after 2.5" of rain last night thought I better start working again before the next monsoon comes through.

Threading the cable was pretty simple without the grommets on. Since they had been cut to take the cable out of the donor trailer I'm going to add a little RTV to hold them in place. I still need to add several cable clamps to keep everything tight but here are some pics of the initial installation.

1) Crossover Cable
2) Oven side installation
3) Griddle side installation

Attachments

thtrev2001

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually the grommets were cut before I took them out. That's the way they were in the trailer. I was surprised that they were cut.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually the grommets were cut before I took them out. That's the way they were in the trailer. I was surprised that they were cut.
I doubt the ends of the cable would fit through so they probably had to cut them to get around the cable. Not a big deal but I think a little goop to hold them in place is a good idea.

Crossover Install

MKCoen,
Nice find on the crossover. Where you going to bolt the brackets to hold the cable fast? Like to see the pic's when it is all done. Nice to set up the trailer and not have to crawl under and feed up cables, because they are already there. Wish I could find one myself?

John

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where you going to bolt the brackets to hold the cable fast?
There is a crossbeam just behind where the cable runs. The MWO has 5 or 6 cable clamps drilled into that beam to hold it in place. It was just a little wet yesterday or I would have done that as well. I'll be sure to post pics once I get it done.

Mkcoen,
I got under my trailer and I can see the wire clamps as well. At least they left them in the frame so, once I get a cable, all I have to do is put the cable in the clamps and tighten em up.

John

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the cable clamps in today so the crossover is in place and done. Only thing left from the MWO is the plug box and pigtails. I'm having a bit of a flare up of my MS so an hour is about all I'm good for especially when it entails crawling in and under the trailer half a dozen times. I'll have it all wrapped up next week for sure.

Attachments

Last edited:
Mkcoen,
Nice job, really looks good. You know what kind of effort was made to get under there and install the cable. Still can't under stand why they take out the "classified, and theat to national security" cable in the first place! Talk about a waste of man hours. Anyways, good work, just made life easier when you use the trailer. Beats using the 25 ft. extension cable from the battery pack kit.

John

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I got the final piece for the MWO from SCSG-G4. While I had planned just to use Home Depot parts for this section I changed my mind after Mike sent a pic of a spare he had. The OEM item is a lot sturdier than what I had intended and just looks better.

Only thing left is to try and repair a couple of the walkway poles. I've got some that the hand rail brackets are broken and Keith_J thinks he can weld them up.

Also got my new insurance policy from Gulfway for both the deuce and trailer. At least now if I roll one or both the wife will have a little money to make up for it.

Three weeks to MUSTER at Camp Mabry. We should be good to go by then.

Attachments

Last edited:
mkcoe,
Looks really good. Do you know if Mike has more of those NOS pigtails laying around? I have to do the same thing on an Air Force MKT-85. I guess it was a M2A Gas burner equipped trailer. Thanks for posting the pics of the crossover and pigtail upgrade, nice for reference.

John

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mkcoe,
Looks really good. Do you know if Mike has more of those NOS pigtails laying around? I have to do the same thing on an Air Force MKT-85. I guess it was a M2A Gas burner equipped trailer. Thanks for posting the pics of the crossover and pigtail upgrade, nice for reference.

John
You might just want to PM him with what you need. It's surprising what he has.

Is there a hole on the outside of the cabinet where the box should go? If you have the clamps for the cable underneath that would indicate the MWO was done on the trailer so they should have drilled holes and mounted the box at some point. If not (meaning the didn't do the modification), I can send you a copy of the MWO so you can do everything.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had just the one box, and it was in an upstairs bedroom with some other small parts, not buried under mounds of other items in the garage. One of these days my (new to me) 20 ft trailer will be home and I can sort out all the stuff, then start shipping again.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just finished hosing the MKT out so I can load up for Muster. I've got a week to PMCS the deuce and the MKT before heading out next Friday (75 miles 1 way). Got all of the boxes out to load and gased up the lantern so I feel like I'm ahead of the game.

Any SS'ers that have a free weekend should come out and enjoy the festivities at Camp Mabry Apr 21 and 22.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that you have power, you need to ditch that Coleman lantern and put in some Bruce or Jameson lights. Got mine off e-bay - much more nicer!
That's what I'm planning but a little late for this event. Besides, this was a brand new lantern that was still in the box when I got my trailer and I've never got the chance to use it. The globe was broken so I had to replace that but otherwise spanking new. I will say it's amazing how much thinner the new globe was compared to the original though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks