• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Works on one fuel tank, not the other

Construction

My passenger side tank works fine. I switch to the drivers side tank, it runs 5+ minutes, then shuts down. Switch back to the other tank, it takes a while, then it restarts and runs fine. The lines to the drivers side tank are new. Not sure what to try next.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe the lines are not correctly connected to the valve.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
try by passing the selector valve. also put a air hose in the offending tank, put some rags around the hose to seal it, apply some air, you will see a fuel leak at the place its sucking air

you said the lines on the offending side are NEW make sure that two lines are not CROSSED ie the return line to the draw and the draw going to the return, if this is so, the truck will NOT run on that tank

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Then you either have a bad hose or line or connection, or valve seal. (my guesses)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
"try by passing the selector valve. also put a air hose in the offending tank, put some rags around the hose to seal it, apply some air, you will see a fuel leak at the place its sucking air"

M813A1

also check that you turn your selector switch on the dash to the correct side to turn on the pump for that sidee and check the pick pump in the tank

Construction

I have not pulled the suction line from the tank yet to check it. I will drain the tank, pull it, inpect the suction line. It is the only thing I have not done.

YankeeDuece

It runs 5+ minutes because that is all the fuel availale in the fuel filter canister.
You may have a hole or blockage in the drafting tube in the tank or the fuel selector switch is in the wrong position. Turn the selector switch full counter-clockwise as veiwed from the drivers seat. This is the off position. The center bump on the switch is the drivers side tank and full clock-wise is the passenger side. The switch on the dash is for changing the fuel guage readout.

Good luck.....I am going through the same problem.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Me and Tony Wright had the same problem trying to recover his wrecker and I had the same prob with my wrecker.
I bypassed the selector switch and replaced the fuel filter with a spin on (the replacement filters are over 50 bucks each at NAPA).
My gut feeling is that the seals in the manual selector switch dry out and allow the air to enter.
I only run on the drivers side tank but unless you are going a long way it won't matter. You can still use the other tank for storage and pump it over with a transfer pump.
I found there was a lot of crud in both my tanks so a good cleaning is in order in addition to checking for leaks.

Construction

It runs 5+ minutes because that is all the fuel availale in the fuel filter canister.
You may have a hole or blockage in the drafting tube in the tank or the fuel selector switch is in the wrong position. Turn the selector switch full counter-clockwise as veiwed from the drivers seat. This is the off position. The center bump on the switch is the drivers side tank and full clock-wise is the passenger side. The switch on the dash is for changing the fuel guage readout.

Good luck.....I am going through the same problem.
My manual selector on the floor is marked for the passenger side at full clockwise, but at full counter clockwise it is marked for the drivers side tank, not off. I did not realize there was an "off" position. So you are saying at 45 deg. is the drivers side tank? I am not with the truck right now to confirm, but will be tomorrow morning.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a picture in the -10 TM.