• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WOW, brush truck 45

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the side-view mirrors they used on it...are those from a newer Topkick/Kodiak? Very nice!

greenjeepster

Wow, they spent some $$$ on that truck.
Not really:

Truck: Free
600 Gal Tank: Free
Labor: Free
Probably the electronics, pump and chrome work would be all that cost them anything and it is highly likely those where all donations as well. This is a volunteer station which means they have non-profit status.

I would be willing to bet they have very little money wise into this truck. I wish I could get our department to take on projects like this... Out of about 30 trucks We don't have a single Military Fire truck, the next town up has a few though.

If every Fire dept did one GL trucks would dry up. I like the headliner on this thing.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You know, I actually like it. But only because it's dressed up as a "modern" firetruck. Lots of work in it.

KsM715

Lot of work put into that thing. It could do with out the white headlight trim. That part I hate, the rest is ok since its a truck with a purpose and not just some hot rod deuce.

HORNETD

At five hundred gallons the water weighs 4150#. That leads me to the suspicion that the truck may well be over loaded. Am I wrong about that? With the empty weight of the tank and the weight of the pump, firefighters, hand tools and a couple of fifty pound back pack pumps they are pushing the nominal capacity of the vehicle. How does the maximum weight loading compare with the nominal capacity. How much of a margin do you want on such a rig. Also it is awfully high centered for a brush truck. That does not mean that I don't respect the work that went into it but tanker rollovers are a significant cause of firefighter fatalities in the rural fire service.

--
Tom Horne

SPCWarning

I think it's very nice work! Lots of time and work went into making it what it is. I know how firemen like to keep their vehicles clean and serviced so it should look that good in 20 years.

Happyland1410

At five hundred gallons the water weighs 4150#. That leads me to the suspicion that the truck may well be over loaded. Am I wrong about that? With the empty weight of the tank and the weight of the pump, firefighters, hand tools and a couple of fifty pound back pack pumps they are pushing the nominal capacity of the vehicle. How does the maximum weight loading compare with the nominal capacity. How much of a margin do you want on such a rig. Also it is awfully high centered for a brush truck. That does not mean that I don't respect the work that went into it but tanker rollovers are a significant cause of firefighter fatalities in the rural fire service.

--
Tom Horne
It should be well under the truck's 10,000 pound on-road capacity. From my experience it will also be fine for mild off road usage even if it is slightly over the 5,000 pound off-road rating from the military. A properly trained driver familiar with the dynamics of this vehicle would be fine using this as a brush truck. FYI: the M50A2 and M50A3 both were rated to carry 1,000 gallons of water and knowing how conservatively the military rates things, this truck should be well within its capabilities. 2cents

I have seen a lot of deuces in the fire service but that one is the nicest I have ever seen. :drool: We are lucky to find time just to make our trucks functional.

FL_Frank

Just a fyi - if you get to a website where it does not let you save the pictures, just bypass their security by doing this:

1. Hit that 'Print Screen' key on your keyboard (may be hold down ctrl or alt, then hit 'prt sc')
This copies the screen you are viewing to the clipboard

2. Open up mspaint (Start-> Run -> mspaint)

3. Paste (ctrl-v shortcut) into mspaint.

4. Crop out your new picture and cut it (Ctrl-c)

5.Select a new document in mspaint (or open another mspaint)

6. Paste it in this new document (ctrl-v)

7. Save it as .jpg to your desktop or where ever. Easy

There are programs out there that do the above much more automated, but the above is tried and true. Attaching one of the pictures of it.

-Frank

Attachments

greenjeepster

Can't wait for it to show up on GSA. I see a trip to the Yankee Lake mud pit.:twisted: Nice work though.
Private fire dept, it will never show up on GSA. Only Government agencies dispose of property through GSA.

Private Depts have to keep a piece equipment in use for an agreed to amount of time, then it is theirs to dispose of anyway they like. Could end up on Govdeals, but most likely would just be parked out front with a for sale sign on it.

Monkeyboyarmy

Private Depts have to keep a piece equipment in use for an agreed to amount of time, then it is theirs to dispose of anyway they like. Could end up on Govdeals, but most likely would just be parked out front with a for sale sign on it.[/QUOTE]

Cool. I'll get to drive it before I buy it. [thumbzup]