• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker advice needed

Crash_AF

I am looking at a few different options for purchasing a wrecker and wanted some other opinions before I pull the trigger on one. I know only I can make the final decision, but outside input is always nice. Here is the list of what I have access to and price is not the only deciding factor:

M62 gasser - runs poorly, lot drives, crane functions, no title, front winch PTO shaft bent, weather beaten, no kit, unknown other problems $4000+ shipping (about $1300)

M543 Multi - runs, drives, operates, title, most kit included $15k +shipping

M816 Cummins - runs, drives, operates, title, no kit included $16k local

M543 Mack - runs, drives, operates, title, most kit included $17K +shipping

The M62 is the one I was looking for info on earlier... the others are all hard top and have heaters (except maybe the 816, but I'll find out today)

By kit I mean tow bars, whiffle tree, chains, blocks, etc. The 543s are the most complete of the trucks I've found and they will have been serviced and would be in good enough condition to make the ~800 mile trip home if I wanted to drive it.

I'm having the debate with myself on whether I want a project for cheap that I'm going to dump another $10k in over time to make right or if I should just get one that's ready to roll.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Joe

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Joe
I always believe that the rule:"you get what you pay for", is pretty much true! As far as the "Kit" that you mention... that stuff is really valuable in terms of work and the costs add up real fast, if you are trying gather a Kit up. My thought is (of course I can be very generous with your resources), to get the BEST one you can find. Once you get it, you will find all sorts of things that will absorb & soak up your time and disposeable cash. Besides, I don't look for the value of those to get any lower. So if you look at it that way - you can always get your money back out of it!

Often on this MV equipment, it get sever use (and often abuse), with out much maintance, if any. That is especially true, once it gets into civilian hands. So even on the Best one, my guess is that there will be plenty of things to get it in shape. That to me, means go anywhere, anytime!

Good Luck
Lee in Alaska

TedG

Have you phisically looked at and/or inspected any of them? Pictures are nice but seeing each one provides the best advice. Good luck with your decision and have with the one you get regardless!

Crash_AF

I do realize that you get what you pay for and I'm having the age old debate of do I build it myself and know what's been done to it or do I hope the people who worked on it before did it right?

I am going to see the 816 today, the others are pictures and telephone calls

As far as service, the 543s have been gone over completely by the seller, the 816 is just out of GL within the last 3 months.

One question I forgot to ask, is one motor better than the others? (mostly is the Mack better than the Cummins?)

Thanks,
Joe

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd really be leaning towrds that M816. No money down the toilet on shipping, can do highway speed, commercial parts available for the engine. It's my humble opinion that a mulifuel wrecker wil barely get to highway speed empty. If money is no object, I like the Mack powered trucks. I think you could collect up a towbar, whiffletree and some wrecker chains for the price of shipping one of the other trucks.

M1075

x2 on the M816. They are really sweet. With that said, there is a M543 in Northern OK along I-35 that is for sale (about $7000) IIRC. A key consideration should be what are you going to do with it. If you just plan on using it around the yard to pick stuff up or on short offroad recoveries the M543 will be great. If you plan on some highway towing, better get the M816.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check with HALFTRACK in La....I believe he is selling his M816. It has the complete BII kit, was sandblasted and painted solid 383 CARC, and runs like a top. I am not sure what he is asking, but he is a heck of a nice guy. I'd contact him for certain if I were in the market for a wrecker.

Crash_AF

Re: RE: Wrecker advice needed

M1075 said:
If you just plan on using it around the yard to pick stuff up or on short offroad recoveries the M543 will be great.
Yep, it's just for picking stuff up, moving my junk around and personal recoveries.

I should have pics of the one I'm going to look at this afternoon when I get back.

Oh, Oshkosh Equipment e-mailed me back and said that they have this BII kit for sale for $2500... I think it's a little high, but just an FYI.

Later,
Joe

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Wrecker advice needed

$2500 is not actually that high. I bid on, and won a kit a few years ago on GL that went for around a grand. While it was new, it was missing some of the components (e.g., bolt cutter). So, in my opinion, $2500 is not bad if it is complete. I believe the kit contains more than what is pictured, though.

halftrack

I got that same kit in my wrecker, however it came with tire chains, a two man wood saw, shop lights, more pulleys and snatch blocks than that, and some more odd and ends

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your looking to complete the BII set for the truck for show or use, the $2500 figure isnt too bad, considering you could scour MV shows for years and might never find the correct and complete after piecemealing it together.

Capt.Marion

I think that you should go with the 816. The Cummins NHC 250 engine is a horse and a half, and I guarantee you that you will find yourself doing more than just personal recoveries and moving junk around the yard.

AMGeneral

Get the 543 with the Mack definetly,the 816 is the second best, I would steer clear of the 543 multifuel and the M62 with the gasser would be my last choice.

Just my 2cents .

Crash_AF

Any particular reason for the Mack over the Cummins?

Got back from looking at the M816 today, he has two and I operated the nicer one, but it blew a bearing in the rear power shaft as I was putting the boom back to the travel position.
It's a soft top with no heater, but I might be able to talk him into adding those from his yard.

Other stuff for sale there too... three tractor wreckers and he has a salvage yard... see post here:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=19106

Later,
Joe

Attachments

joec

I thought the only difference between the 543 and the 816 is one has multi and the other cummins/mack engine. Figured i would jump on the forum while at CHOP today.

joec

I looked i have all the snatch blocks the tire chains the wiffle tree all the chain binders for the rears, adapters and a lot of other stuff. Dave had a spade he gave me. I need one more. The rest of the kit i will try to gather. Plus the show in North Jersey is coming up . I should find odds and ends.

joec

Its the piece that goes on the top of bumper. Where your clevis are. You put the tree on put pin through. And You put the hook of the wrecker through it. You lift up the clevis slide pin through and it will lift it up bye the clevis's I will take pics to show you later. Easier to hook it up and show u then explain it. Tree is away have to dig it out.

Dam its cold out

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks