• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker Bed (A Good Laugh.)

jw4x4

My wife loves when new stuff shows up at the house. She's thrilled over the suburban donor vehicle that appeared while we were outta town!

NOT.
Every time I read something like this, I think of the Suburban that was suspended in a tree at a certain swimming pool company on a Sunday. Just so happened that the pool company owner pulled into the lot with a potential customer. Said 'burb hanging in the tree was NOT a good thing.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was quite a hoot. Never underestimate the resourcefulness of a few determined off roaders with a winch and a stout tree.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another tiny victory today. Sawed off the ubolts to remove the springs from the chassis cab rear end I bought with the wrecker. Confirmed that it has 4.56 gears and even better, an open carrier. Will slide the Detroit NoSpin in there before the install.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck is certainly a CUCV with the locker. When I got the wrecker bed I purchased a cab/chassis rear end (narrow dually). This is going in the truck before the wrecker bed gets installed. I have the correct front hubs for the dually rims as well.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of cab/chassis rear ends, I got to clean it up a bit today. It's amazing how much the tubes get eaten away by the ubolt design coupled with the Ohio winters. Luckily the tubes on 14 bolts are quite thick. Got this cleaned up a bit before install. Backing plates are being replaced during the install.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like it too. Loved the fabricated look so much I had it powdercoated clear.Those are the bolts that shipped with the cover but I want something else. Shiny bolts aren't going to cut it. Heck, still debating what to do with the front studs. I put all new ones in the dually rotors and they have that same appearance. Got lucky on those too. Was rummaging around and found 3 of the 4 required new bearings in my private stock.

Oh, by the way, the housing has a built in magnet. May soon have a drain plug too.

ChevyC60

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Kenny, any updates? Drove by today and it looks like the dually rear end has been installed. Would like to hear about the install. Was there any welding or fabrication required?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was kinda being closed lipped about it until it was nearly done. As slow as I work it may take years. Cab/chassis rear swap went well. I installed the Detroit NoSpin and brand new backing plates and brakes from Hillbilly Wizard. Everything fit like a glove. I have the dually front rotors in the shed. All new bearings ready to go in and I already installed all new studs. Kinda at a stand still until I get some tires on the dually rims. The 4 speed and 205 box is down at Mikes so maybe that will start happening as well. I removed the right bedside from the bed and sent it south. I think we have a shop that will bang me out 2 repro sides. For those who know Holmes wrecker beds, mine was a high side and the repros will be low sides. Still tons to do but it keeps me out of trouble. Now I'm faced with what to do with the Suburban. Transfer case broke and I'm done fooling with it. I'll sell it or part it out.

Last edited:

Crash_AF

IMG_1333.jpgIMG_1334.jpg

Hey Kenny,
I've finally made some progress on my CUCV wrecker. I went with a 480 and have swapped in a 205 with the stock TH400. I'm torn on actually figuring out the PTO stuff and going electric on the winches though. Electric would be simpler, but you lose fine line speed control. Decisions decisions... Oh, and do you plan to shorten the bed to 56" CA or are you lengthening your frame/moving the axle back? I paid a truck shop to cut, sleeve, and lengthen my frame then mount the bed, so it's not only proper length, but reinforced at the weak point under the cab where wreckers tend to crack.

If you come across any wrecker bed parts, let me know, I could use a few odds and ends. Might be interested in the repro bedsides if you have them made. The bottom edge of my bed is pretty chewed up. And I'll not complain about the condition of my bed ever again, seeing what you started with. LOL

Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks