• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker bed modification

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep going Big Jeff

So - locker/stowage confusion can be debated elsewhere - one thought though, the TM revisions (black bar in side column) may have not totally been technically edited for subsequent correlation when changes ooccured....

BUT, we should get back to post thread and keep the wind in Jeffs sails up, to set aside the negativity of the nay-sayers... There are plenty of original, restored trucks out there, so I'm all for the mods.

Sofar I'd give this thread a 10/10 for interest.

"Three cheers for Jeff".....

Csm Davis

How's this for ideas Jeff...
Like it but one long box will be needed down the sides,think dropside bed, for the long pieces, and if you put a set of chains or stops on the fold down door you will have small catwalk to help with access to the gondola and I am thinking use full height even under the gondola the inside of the box would have to by shorter but the outside is ok because of cutout on bottom side of gondola

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would also like to know where secret compartments 5 & 7 are they are points 8 & 13 on the drawing :screwy:
That is why they are SECRET, if they were ment to be seen then they would not be a SECRET COMPARTMENT

Welder Sam

HAHAHA RON!

Id say that compartments 5&7 are simply deck space. key #12 is labled as left deck, a broad lable for the area thus further broken down. seeing as how the left deck is completely open vs the right deck being pretty cluttered by key #7 and further forward, a divider that i trip over quite often. seeing as how we're discussing a diagram of the 816, id be happy to get pics of said key #'s on the bed if you'd like Jeff.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just a thought, the m62 has 4 below deck compartments, just maybe when the 543 layout was written out, NO ONE thought to LOOK at a 543, they just assumed that there was 4 compartments like the m62.

This is no different then the 936 rear winch derating because everybody ASSUMED that everybody else was dealing with the correct pump/motor drive specs.

Last edited:

Welder Sam

Just a thought, the m62 has 4 below deck compartments, just maybe when the 543 layout was written out, NO ONE thought to LOOK at a 543, they just assumed that there was 4 compartments like the m62.

This is no different then the 936 rear winch derating because everybody ASSUMED that everybody else was dealing with the correct pump/motor drive specs.
hey thats plausible.

did you get both groups of pics?

yes, my hoist output seal is shot.

im looking at removing the open box from the right rear corner and putting a gas engine welding machine there. i think the height/length of a bobcat or bigger would get in the way of the swing though

Last edited:

Welder Sam

in the above, the order is #12,11, &10. 12 is the entire upper left deck. 11 is the boom stabilizer storage area that runs the length of the bed(hit me after i sent the pics.). its visible in #12. 10 is the rear under body box. if i recall right....

Welder Sam

aww heck Ron. i shoulda known you'd pick up on that. the clip pin is right beside me. was real hot and late when the shop van box got set and the rigging came off. the pin is right here beside my keyboard
:-D:-D

unless of course you arer talking abt the red tape measure that was there last weekend. think it went to work with me... never sure.. truck hasnt been out of the yard tho so im sure i put it somewhere.... somewhere...

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
How does a screwdriver look loke a RED tape measure, though I have used screwdrivers to measure

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks