• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker bed modification

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
How does a screwdriver look loke a RED tape measure, though I have used screwdrivers to measure
When you look at a really big or blown up pic, al well guess this means I was wrong, the good thing it is not my first (X remembers those) nor will it be the last, besides if I NEVER made mistakes, a religion would be named after me ( not to bad a deal) then I would get my self killed (not a good deal) and just think if that happened there would not be anybody on SS to remind cucv owners that the cucvs make great wheel chocks.

Welder Sam

Hahaha!! Thats funny stuff!! Its a fact that appies to all of us. Misinterpretation..<-- thats a big word and i hope i spelled it right.

I love my wrecker. We all love our wreckers, im sure. They could be drastically improved upon for sure depending on the desires of the owner. Myself, id like mine to be more of a mobile welding shop

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Out of boxey experience

Like it but one long box will be needed down the sides,think dropside bed, for the long pieces,
Havent wandered out to the truck to check this idea, but it may be possible to locate the long boom legs under the bed, one either side along the chassis rails, hung on brackets. This is where the M1A1 wrecker (Ward) stowed the ground spades - slid in from the back, next to the bumperettes.

Other than that - space could be made across the bottom of the 'behind cab' locker(s) for large pinch bars etc.

I did look earlier and think that removing the foot plates from the stabilisers and stowing them somewhere else would allow side access of the whole of the front lockers.

Another question - why paint stripes on the bottom of these plates that don't really stick out from the body to the point of being a danger... wouldn't it be better to stripe the arms that stick out when the stabilisers are deployed?

Attachments

Welder Sam

stripes on the plates look good. i did it because i like it. ive put alot of hours on mine and only put the riggers down once. why stripe any of it at all? cuz the owner likes it.

Last edited:

Welder Sam

as far as i know, they are! i just had a couple in my hands a few days ago so i might actually be right here but i didnt look super close. wow. that would be an arm and a leg plus a pair of jewels at a machinists to get them to be removable

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
YEP, that is what he is talking about, thought the pads and leg were one piece
Yes Ron - you are correct, but a quick snip would sort that out! Conversion to 819 rear leg ends with seperate plates/pads would be the smart way to go, otherwise the larger 3D shape of the pad and leg would be awkward to stow.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
another nice thing about 819 rear pads is that they make nice jack pads turned upside down in soft dirt

Welder Sam

Has anyone thought of upgrading the lift rams? All of these wreckers could stand a bit more verticle ability. 2 stage cylinders would allow for a longer stroke in the same collapsed length. Thus possibly allowing items to be lifted from or placed on the bed.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone thought of upgrading the lift rams? ... Thus possibly allowing items to be lifted from or placed on the bed.
Not too sure where on the bed you are thinking of putting stuff and what stuff? ....................... The manual does state that the spare wheel should be lifted down with the crane, so having accepted that, and assuming that the spare has to be hand moved to within the 270 deg (?) reach of the crane.........

Getting back to the original thread by CsmDavis, redoing the lockers would allow the stowed BII equipment to be accessed by hand from the ground, with the exception of tow bar of course..

I'm not trying to pee on your bonfire, just giving my opinion .... Love this thread, keep up the thoughts.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks