• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker Crane Remote Control

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Surplus center has 24 volt dc linear actuators. You would need to measure the actual stroke of the valve and the force required. You could also make up a pendant with 4 double throw double pole momentary toggle switches

Surplus Center
Those are lead-screw actuators. They don't satisfy my primary safety requirement of releasing the valves when power is disconnected. A lead screw actuator will hold position when power is removed, even at loads much stronger than what would stall the motor.

daveks63

If you check with either Vulcan or Jer - Dan wreckers they maybe able to set you up with a system. i use to use one when I drove a wrecker.

M1031CMT

Once you figure out the controls on the truck, I found that on ebay there are a ton of cheap wireless crane controllers for sale with the wireless transmitters (~$200-$500). You can even choose the voltage that they run on (12v/24v/etc). Can't post a link to the auctions due to site rules, but just go to ebay and type in "crane control".

Yeah they are "made in china". But for the amount that we would use them, they would probably be okay.

Here are some pics of them.

Attachments

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I will take a look at the controllers on eBay. My preference would be for a control with four single axis proportional controls with spring return to center, just like the original manual controls. One or two more proportional controls might also come in handy... If I'm going to the trouble, I might as well make the rear winch remotely controlled, too. I found my M543A2 rear winch to not be usable without a helper since it is controlled from the bed and it doesn't free spool out, so I couldn't figure out how to get it spooled out without a helper to pull on the cable while I reel it out. Reeling it out without pulling on it just tangled the cable.

I think I would be just as happy with a wired control. It would be cheaper than a radio control and easier for me to implement from scratch. I found these single axis thumb operated proportional joysticks that appear to cost around $150 each in single quantity:

BF Series / BD Series CH Products

The stepper motors that I linked to above are also about $150 each in the size that I estimate I would need. Everything between the thumb control and the stepper motor is stuff that I know how to do. Hmm...

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool!

I sold one of those crane control boxes to somebody a while back. Was that you? If so, I'm especially glad to see it doing its thing! I had bought the control on eBay with thoughts of using it to retrofit a remote control to my M543A2. I never got around to doing that, but now I'm thinking about it again.

Not my video...But I do have 4 remotes and 3 of the cables. (none are for sale)

Last edited:

nf6x

Feral Engineer
My -10 TM states that the crane on my new M936A1 will rotate 360 degrees. My M543A2 crane only rotates about 270 degrees. Does the M936A1 crane lack the stops that the M543A2 has to limit rotation? And if so, can it spin all the way around without anything getting hung up?

I don't suppose there's a spare circuit in the slip ring for getting electrical power up to the gondola area, is there?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Pull the stops, the 543 WILL do 360,

Use the 24v work light circuit for power, with a on/off swich at the operator station for the lights

m816

It is cheaper to have soldier #2 to handle thr rigging on the ground. And as we get older (like Me) it is easier to just stay in the seat and push the levers and let the kids do the jumping around. I f you need a remote contolled boom, maybe the best thing would be to mount a knuckleboom on a chassis or Cargo truck then you can stand on the ground and just climb up an down to unhook the load in the truck.:driver:

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Pull the stops, the 543 WILL do 360,

Use the 24v work light circuit for power, with a on/off swich at the operator station for the lights
Great idea! [thumbzup]

It is cheaper to have soldier #2 to handle thr rigging on the ground. And as we get older (like Me) it is easier to just stay in the seat and push the levers and let the kids do the jumping around. I f you need a remote contolled boom, maybe the best thing would be to mount a knuckleboom on a chassis or Cargo truck then you can stand on the ground and just climb up an down to unhook the load in the truck.:driver:
I was thinking along the lines of putting a knuckleboom on my M923. After unsuccessfully looking for suitable knucklebooms that didn't cost 3x what I paid for the truck, I got frustrated and bid on my new M936A1 on GL (waiting on EUC clearance now). So that has me back to thinking about a remote control retrofit.

I don't disagree with anything that you said there, but I'm just not able to do anything the easy and/or sensible way! :whistle:

M1031CMT

We had a hiab crane on a deuce. Was nice having the controls on the ground, but even then you needed a second person. For as anyone who has used a crane knows that the second you let it go it starts to spin in the opposite direction.

It did have a control box for using a wired/wireless controller for the hiab, but we never found a decently priced one for the unit. We contacted a hiab dealer and was quoted a pretty big sum for a used controller which we quickly said no thanks.

A hiab/knuckleboom is nice since it is more accurate than a crane in many instances, but the bad thing about them is the limited load they can handle. Plus you cannot hold a load and move the truck on the knuckleboom. While you don't need to move the truck every time we needed to pick something up, those times we did need to do it were a real pain. We loved ours, but sold it to upgrade to the M816. Now we can pick up a lot more weight, as well as hold that weight and slowly drive the truck over to another location in the yard where we want to put it down.

The M816 is just so much more versatile. We have picked up dozens of large and small objects with it from containers to tires. We even used it to unload our M989 trailer (which weighs 7600lbs empty) from another trailer.

So we would love to be able to control things from the ground. If not just to move those little things with one, but also to be able to see things better. There are tons of times where we are two people, but the person operating the crane cannot see how to pick up or put down the load properly because it blocks their view.

Attachments

M1031CMT

I have been looking around online and it looks like even the professional modification kits for adding remote controls pretty much just connect actuators to the linkage. Nothing else.

This company just clamps them onto the linkage. They say it makes install very easy as well as maintenance in case you need to disconnect it.

Small pictures, but it gives you an idea: MEC-ACT Modification For Hydraulic Cranes

Link to a PDF of their flyer on the system: http://www.msimonos.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=61cDvDgyPzs=&tabid=63&mid=419

Just have to find the proper actuators to do the job. Ones that don't cost a ridiculous amount of money :wink:

Attachments

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
The M936 has to be able to spin 360 to use the crane to get the spare tire. The only thing that will stop it is the cab, well, that probably wouldn't stop it either, so pay attention to what your doing.[thumbzup]

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The M936 has to be able to spin 360 to use the crane to get the spare tire. The only thing that will stop it is the cab, well, that probably wouldn't stop it either, so pay attention to what your doing.[thumbzup]
This is the ONLY reason for the rotation stop on the earler wreckers, down and out trying to get reach is REAL hard on a cab top

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks