• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wrecker tow

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: what

one more at home base ill post all the pics of Brains new toy in the pic section for him and all you great guys to see. Thanks again for your suport TIm in mudland

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Whats the metal thing on top your boom, to the rear of the ground spades? Good looking trucks!

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter

you know i have asked many a person and no clues. but it does have a hot wire going to it, must have been another light. thinking of putting on back . i need to do some touch up paint thiough

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter

its on the same wiring as the rear floods or so i thought, ill have to check that our. it would be a neat place or a strobe Tim

madsam

Tim, Thanks for the update. You have told me more in 1 day than the other guy had told me in a month and a half. Wish I could have helped you, but it is hard to do things from 1200 miles a way.
Brian

Re: RE: what

timntrucks said:
last pic had me with it lifted. but that didnt work well. i had to move lift point right over bumper with no bridle type hoodup. had the super nice 3/4 chains centered in the middle and that let me steer my truck great. the hills were hard but afterward cruised with only one blow out. glad i have those chains...

That's what I have been telling people right along. You can't steer with the truck lifted and the towbar attached.(pivot points are in two different planes) You were also lucky that you have a winch model truck that you were towing. Otherwise the the block would have been right into the hood, when you stop the towing truck.

halftrack

Negative

When towing a vehicle by tow-bar with no driver in towed vehicle, then truck should be lifted. I towed many trucks this way with and without front winches. Are are suppose to boom up a little to clear the headache from doing damage to the truck. This also allows for needed play for turns.

M1075

RE: Negative

For a lift tow, I think the towbar should be attached to the front axle. That will keep the towed truck from pushing forward.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Negative

a after though i beleive i should have used the axle clamps too. but on a non winch model all you would have to do is make up the lift chain higher so the block would be higher than the hood. im looking at getting the wiffle tree sling set up for the next big adventure. it makes a big difference on how and where you have your lift point set up. must me right over the bumper and set in the middle. both sides of the chain going down together and i had very little problems turning my rig. im bringing the rest of my chains to peachtree to sell off whats left. as you can see they make the best saftey chains around Tim

RE: Re: RE: Negative

You need to look at where your pivot points are. The tow bar will ONLY pivot at the towing truck's pintle hook. The crane will ONLY pivot at the top of the bumper, whiffle tree, whatever. They are NOT in the same plane. I have picked up 5 tons that way. Picking up a 5 ton lightens up your sterring axle quit a bit. Puts a lot of stress on the boom and the towed truck will try to turn and list. It doesn't matter if you use the axle clamps or hook the towbar to the bumper shackles. The only way that I have got it to work right is to use ONE leg of the towbar and throw the axle clamp around the middle of the bumper. Then there are TWO pivot points on the tow bar (pintle hook and the axle clamp). Lifting the hoist up higher will only allow the cable to angle left or right depending on which way you are turning.

When you hook the towbar to the truck you are forming a RIGID triangle. When you turn the towing truck the triangle is no longer right behind the truck. But the hook will be centered right behind the truck only about 6 feet out.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's one I've been playing with. Since the M108 still has bumperettes on the back I attached my axle clamps to that and ran the towbar backwards. The towbar is too long for this but a shorter bar would work good. You would need a clamp on pintle for the front bumper to do it that way. This does align the pivot points. I have a pair of shackle mounts from the back of a 5 ton that take the 1" pin. I'll eventually bolt these to the outside of the bumperette so that I don't need the axle clamps.

Attachments

halftrack

Re: RE: Re: RE: Negative

Latrine_Commander said:
You need to look at where your pivot points are. The tow bar will ONLY pivot at the towing truck's pintle hook. The crane will ONLY pivot at the top of the bumper, whiffle tree, whatever. They are NOT in the same plane. I have picked up 5 tons that way. Picking up a 5 ton lightens up your sterring axle quit a bit. Puts a lot of stress on the boom and the towed truck will try to turn and list. It doesn't matter if you use the axle clamps or hook the towbar to the bumper shackles. The only way that I have got it to work right is to use ONE leg of the towbar and throw the axle clamp around the middle of the bumper. Then there are TWO pivot points on the tow bar (pintle hook and the axle clamp). Lifting the hoist up higher will only allow the cable to angle left or right depending on which way you are turning.

When you hook the towbar to the truck you are forming a RIGID triangle. When you turn the towing truck the triangle is no longer right behind the truck. But the hook will be centered right behind the truck only about 6 feet out.
The TM seems to say otherwise: I refer to this TM for 5 ton operations.
TM 9-2320-260-10; 2-92

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Negative

I would lock the wheel if I towed it like that. As far as the tires, those are all sitting under the sahde tree wating to be dismounted. I have no shortage of tires, just a shortage of tires on rims.

madsam

tires.

Are those bigger tires harder to steer on these trucks? Years ago, I put some bigger tires on an old pickup with no power steering, and it got a lot harder to push around the wheel.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
RE: tires.

i made a adaptor for the towbar ring so i can front tow the xm977 when it gets to ga.(about 9/24), i made a swivel also so any change in angle between the 819 and the 977 wont bend the towbar, when i towed bfrs first deuce, going around sharp conners realy put a twist in the towed truck and leaned it way over, for now on , if i lift and tow i will reverse the towbar like kenny shows.

kenny,you dont need a shorter towbar, just extend your boom till its close to the ring

sorry, no pics at this time, will have them up when i get back to ga. for the SS rally

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: tires.

I had the boom extended Ron but in such a little truck, it really unloaded the front axle. You could do it no problem with your truck. My truck would be best for towing CUCVs and doing it this way. Picking up the back of a CUCV would be a piece of cake. I've already towed my pickup like this. Hooked the towbar up to the pintle, lifted it up and away I went.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks