• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker wishlist of mods

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Ron - I was trying to 'search' for modifying the crane from 270 deg to 360 deg rotation... didn't find anything!!!!!:evil: Tips?
DaveP, post #36 - do you have pics of the front side of the spreader - I need details of the swivel**

...but came across this old thread, which I can now add to.

Been fab'ing my version so have found a load of pics. Still looking for a scrap 850 Holmes unit to save time though.
Have found new US made 5/8 weld on grab hooks for the ends of the spreader bar tube.
Tube on the 850 is 5" ID x 40" long. Don't have details of pivot** (A frame connection) but swivel is with a simple sleeve that has two grease nipples seen in pic.
Suspension by whiffle tree - as pic of DaveP's 819 is a good option (cable is a bad idea) but I need to go with a pair of 5/8 chains, "Hammerloks" and a lift 'pear' ring route for authentisity of my project, similarly....
Ears I had to make on the rear body cross member are 3" by 1 1/2" with a 1 1/2" dia pins on a 4" 1/4 wall box.

Pic one is collection of civi units (750's mixed in).
middle pic is from an 816 on e-gay a month or two ago.
Soni's M123 (?) is also shown from his pics of the FEMTT build. (edit - added wrong pic3 - oops)
(NB Holmes 750 is a smaller unit.)
Pic. 2 is VERY BAD RIGGING, in fact DANGEROUS, instead of a sling run over the hook and bent around a shackle, each loaded bend greatly WEAKENS the cable each time a load is applied, the clamped ends don't help either, also this configuration will allow the hook to walk, the proper rigging is TWO separate slings going from each shackle to the hook, with a thimble in one end of each sling for the shackle and decent size loop on the other end for the hook

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
To get 360 degree rotation, I took the stop off the turntable rather the the hard stops on the outer ring gear frame

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK Derrickl112 - what's the story on the pics?, more info please!... and what on earth is Ghhgftv!!???
Thanks for the pics though.
Not sure the bumperette extensions help much - push the casualty away from the hook a fair bit.

and Ron - I had said; "Suspension by whiffle tree - as pic of DaveP's 819 is a good option (cable is a bad idea) but I need to go with a pair of 5/8 chains,".......

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK Derrickl112 - what's the story on the pics?, more info please!... and what on earth is Ghhgftv!!???
Thanks for the pics though.
Not sure the bumperette extensions help much - push the casualty away from the hook a fair bit.

and Ron - I had said; "Suspension by whiffle tree - as pic of DaveP's 819 is a good option (cable is a bad idea) but I need to go with a pair of 5/8 chains,".......

They are random letters. (you cant leave the text box blank)

The pictures are of a m936 that was on GL

Csm Davis

Here's another one going to put my front winch hydraulics in with the rear on my 936 wrecker so I can self recover from the front also. I never understood why they were not made this way to begin with. The more I learn about the 936 the more I miss my 816.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Instead of that what about mounting a pental hitch there, that way the pull and the hoist pivot points are the SAME. (REVERSEING THE TB END FOR END)

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A hyd. winch in the frame UNDER the 5th wheel of the 819
Update on this idea, scraped the hyd. winch thought (not enough control), I have worked out how to mount and drive a 39/809 series front winch LOW in front of the fifth wheel, will use a power divider with a devoiced pump, the cable will run between the fifth wheel and the frame, exiting at the rear of the frame though a second fairlead, all winch and divider function controls will be air (air switches and air cylinders.)

Already collecting parts, have a power divider ready to mod., some shafts, will be getting a rear winch shafts, pillow blocks, drive adjustment block, have 2 winch cheek mounting plates,

When done I will have a winch that has F/R with 5 speeds in each direction plus throttle control, this way there will be max. control of the pull, with this set up total control of the load can be had either in or out.

Along with this install the m819 is getting spade pockets front and rear, front is on, waiting on the rears, spade mounts are installed with one spade mounted (have to move some stuff around to mount the other)

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
How's about this added to the wiffletree? Then just use two of the towbar legs that don't have the lunette, and remove the bumpers and hook to the shackle mounts with towbar feet.
This would make a ridged tow, there would be no pivot, the tb legs would form a ridged A off the wiffletree then the wiffletree mount to the vehicle being lift towed would not be a pivot, the lift tow could be done but would put a lot of strain on the lifting/towing rigging.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This would make a ridged tow, there would be no pivot, the tb legs would form a ridged A off the wiffletree then the wiffletree mount to the vehicle being lift towed would not be a pivot, the lift tow could be done but would put a lot of strain on the lifting/towing rigging.

Pic #3 post 46.
I think it would work.. 'ish. The two attachment points of the two halves of the towbars would pivot (for turning corners) just as the two arms do on the Holmes 750/850 pictured.
The pivot that would be missing is that which would allow twist between the two vehicles.

Last edited:

Csm Davis

Yeah forgot about the twist but as there isn't much I think the frame and rear suspension will soak up the majority of it as this will be for on road towing and load out of trucks.

540fordman

Integrated wheel lift, hydraulic rear spades, side access storage, hydraulic outriggers, rear winch controls that can be used from the ground, and a hard wired remote to run it all! Is that asking too much, lol....

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The reason I say this would be a ridged tow is this,

1--the wiffletree can not pivot side to side as it lifts the vehicle.

2--the TB legs need to be pinned to do the pull and for brakeing .

3--the pinned legs are pinned to the wiffletree which can not pivot and is pinned to the rear of the truck which cannot pivot, hence a ridged tow rig between the towing vehicle and the towed vehicle.

Last edited:

Csm Davis

The reason I say this would be a ridged tow is this,

1--the wiffletree can not pivot side to side as it lifts the vehicle.

2--the TB legs need to be pinned to do the pull and for brakeing .

3--the pinned legs are pinned to the wiffletree which can not pivot and is pinned to the rear of the truck which cannot pivot, hence a ridged tow rig between the towing vehicle and the towed vehicle.
Ron if you will look at the two middle pictures I know they are small but my setup will work just like those with only one exception if one truck twist along the plane of the tow and the other doesn't think of the plane that a fifth wheel doesn't pivot except the military ones when unlocked.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks