• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wreckerman's Spring Fling

Matt65

Can't wait to see more pictures. Wished I had known about the event ahead of time. I would have deffinately made the trip up.

jrou111

The board was down when I got home last night so I will type up a report after I get back from church.

I took a bunch of pics but here are a few teaser pics and a couple of videos.

Attachments

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Had a good time, wife could have done without some of the steep down hill parts, but overall we both enjoyed it. Sold a few things, got a few things, drooled on a few things(wrecker). It was good seeing everybody again and meeting a few new folks. count us in if there is another. now for the pics.

Attachments

jrou111

So here's my report from this weekend's events.

I took off from work on Friday around 3:30pm and headed up to Fort Paine to the Little River Canyon Backcountry area. It's miles of off road trails and the description on the NPS said 4x4 only which was a given based on looking at the river crossings on the map.

There are only 3 campsites that people are allowed to camp at. I made my way to the first one only to find it occupied. I then followed one of the trails until it disappeared around a bend into the river. I hopped out to lock in the hubs just in case and scout my route across. I then drove across until I got about 3/4 way onto a rock and hopped off to shoot this video.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnkCt_CbKoA&hd=1[/media]

Alas, the second camp on the other side of the ford was also full. I had a feeling that they'd all be full. I finally rode through a series of small creek crossings on the way to the third camp site. I got to the third site which was next to another ford and it was empty :jumpin: and nicer than either of the other 2. I set up camp and slept well after all of the locals got done with their night rides around 1am. I watched a Pontiac Sunfire ford 1+ feet of water, sputtering and nearly stalling out. :confused:

I woke up the next morning and broke down camp, crossing the ford on my way out. I followed a series of trails back to the LZ (which would have made a fun deuce trail) We waited at the top of the falls until everyone was there and then took off, attempting to keep up with Wreckerman who was in the lead. In case you've never followed WM he drives a deuce FAST.

We rode down to the bottom of the canyon which alhought paved was pretty hairy at some times. After that we tried to keep up with WM down country roads until we got to the rusty ranch (WM's place). After horse trading, eating, and admiring a nearly immaculate M816, I took off towards the Talladega National Forest.

I entered the TNF near Piedmont, AL and proceeded to drive down unpaved roads for almost 70 miles to near Sylacauga, AL. The road was paved only near Mount Cheaha. It was an epic drive and I think we really need to do an MV drive through there. Most of it is gravel roads with beautiful scenery as it goes along the top of a series of mountain ridges at the foothills of the Appalachains.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
James......thanks for being the unofficial documenter of the event......I was busier than a one-armed house painter and only got
to shoot a few pics.

If we do this next year I will find another route that is just as scenic and a little flatter.

All the drivers did an excellent job of manuvering along the route......I appologize to those not used to my rapid pace.

To any interested parties the M816 wrecker in the video is for sale.....my buddy Gene is the owner and has taken good care of it since he bought it. It is in almost perfect condition and looks like it just came out of Depot Rebuild. It has a lot of the equipment with it.
Anyone interested can PM me for his number.

jrou111

Two more videos:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGCSrDXMi-M&hd=1[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xK4cX5I8rc&hd=1[/media]

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Looks like an excellent time and thanks for the videos!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe if there is another Rally at WM's place some of the CAMO crew can attend. I would really enjoy that.

WM is a good troop and fun to be around...for very short periods of time:lol:rofl

zout

Near speechless of the awesome commradre of the group - you do not know what you missed.

We left early Fri night and spend the night in the trucks and hooked up very early at a parking area "NEAR" where we were suppose to be - Wreckerman got this all straightened out in a quick pace - indeed he was busy.

Had a great time when a couple members rolled in and we had waffles getting cooked up - hand made and not frozen and filled ourselves.

Just threw in pics of our entire weekend - because the run was the biggest chunk of the weekend and staying at the Desoto NP campground was the finale.

Wreckerma'n did an awesome job of setting this up - the video gives no justice of the trail we drove though and specacular view he had arranged - the overlook pics are here - the two gals just so everyone knows are my wife and Ms Wendy (DInger65's)wife - throwing the hippie peace sign from the cab as well.

The food was great under the shade at wreckerman's and the women did a great job to make sure everyone was taken care of - applaud here from me WM.

We gave the 109's a thorough break in trial but I will not get into that as all the congrats go to the day's run and personnel that hosted.

Here are some more pics/

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I just gotta ask.....who was the short feller with the funny hat in the F150 with a riding lawn mower on a trailer that kept breaking into the convoy??? HUH?? WHO??rofl