• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wreckerman's Wood Fired Waste Oil Heater and Possum Parcher

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
nice setup! but like recovery4x4 i have a no fire heater lol I have two oil cleaner canisters off a fishing boat that you slide a role of paper towels in and it pumps the oil threw that. I don't know the micron rating on it but it is supposed to be super clean after it is run threw them.

Sounds like a gulf coast filter "F1". I have been studying up on fuel polishing and would love to get one of those filters for a good deal. If you run across another, please keep me in mind.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Why do I think this will end badly??:cry: Oh yeah..Murphy's Law:twisted:

If I see a blinding flash in the Northwest I'll have to make a snap decision...did someone pop a nuke...or did WM pork the puppy with his wmo "still"?:???:

I'm gonna study up on what I was taught in the 50's and 60's just in case, but I bet that won't be necessary...it will be WM at work.
I say this with the up most respect PB but i just don't see you fitting under that little desk any more!

Attachments

k4vem4n

Sounds like a gulf coast filter "F1". I have been studying up on fuel polishing and would love to get one of those filters for a good deal. If you run across another, please keep me in mind.
Nice, I'm gonna call them for pricing on one of those F-1's and maybe use it as a final stage on my setup.
could one of these be mounted IN the deuce, maybe? that would be peace of mind IMO for using homemade fuels from WMO.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see 150 deg, but how hot do you need to get the oil for this to be effective? While I'm sure heating WMO over an open fire is fine if you're careful, could you add a margin of safety to this and just pump hot water through some pipes submerged in your oil storage tank? Fab up a radiator of sorts with scrap pipe?

Or, would an electric copper heating element of the sorts used to keep a trough thawed work to heat your oil enough? I happen to have a large one on hand that I'll soon have no use for. I'm not sure if it would heat up enough. It's about 15' long and gets pretty hot, coiled up in a WMO storage tank it might work. As long as it isnt resting on the sides of a plastic container. But what fun is not using an open flame? :mrgreen:

I suppose this may have been born out of what was on hand or easily attainable at the time. Perhaps heat water over the woodstove, then run it through your oil storage? Just thinking out loud, the running risk assessment in my head says there has to be a safer way than heating 40gal of flammable liquid over an open fire...

gimpyrobb

Nice, I'm gonna call them for pricing on one of those F-1's and maybe use it as a final stage on my setup.
could one of these be mounted IN the deuce, maybe? that would be peace of mind IMO for using homemade fuels from WMO.

Check out Gulf Coast Filter's site. All the info you could want is there. The F1 filter is about $400 from what I've read. It will be hard to find a place to mount imho.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a quick design thought about Sight Tubes....

My industrial experience dictates that a BALL VALVE in the lower feed to your Sight Glass could be very beneficial in the event of a Tube Failure or need for cleaning/replacement.

Those SIGHT TUBES are relatively vulnerable to "outside influences" that coud cause catastrophic leakage.

Otherwise - your set up looks GREAT, WM :beer:

FIRE IN THE HOLE ! ! !

zout

If a filtration system can remove the remainder of the water vapor
remove all the contaminates down to 1 micron - pretty much all you have left to contend with is the ash - correct ??

Curious on this point because I am looking to make a smaller system that uses no fire - a pump would pass 6 to 8 gph through this existing available system doing the latter mentioned process.

This small system would fit on top of a 55 gallon drum of WMO - pass through this system and pump filtered into another 55 gallon drum.
All running off 110v.

zout

Interesting Gimp - thx

We use this system here already and I have an unused system that would just need to be set up - outside of vehicle mounted to filtrate and recycle oil along with adding the additive package back into the oil as it is designed to to (on the vehicle) for engine oil.

I would just drum mount - not worry about the additive package filter then and only use the main filter - incorporating the heater element. This gets it down to 1 micron. pump out of one WMO drum into a clean one.

Here is a cutaway of the Puradyn filtering system
Puradyn / Products / System Overview

gimpyrobb

I think that would be painfully slow for a fuel filter. Also, you wouldn't need the additive part since the product your filtering will be used as fuel. Just my thoughts, I may be wrong.

zout

These are a vehicle mounted oil filtration system - recycles and refines the engine oil as it operates (military has a version of this unit on their site as well)

Indeed as you were thinking - all I would consider would be a pass through with WMO - leave out the additive package as it is not necessary just to filter WMO and get rid of the water from its contained heater system.

Just set this up on a 55 gallon drum with a 6 to 8 gph pump and just let it work. No big rush on my part as long as it all comes out usable.

I was just back reading the page you posted as well.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There will be a heat shield to protect the sight tube (made out of hi temp plastic) and the filters from radient heat from the firebox. The oil will be heated by convection....not direct contact with the fire.

You may not have seen it in the pics but I have a manual temp guage that I will keep track of the oil temp. My sight plastic is rated to 180 degrees but I will not heat the oil hotter than 150.....since there is no exact tempreture control using wood I will be able to cool the oil in the tank by pumping more oil through into the tank and pushing hot oil through the filters.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WMO and other alternative fuels are becoming increasingly desirable as evidenced by the many threads here on the SS website.

HOWEVER.....

I didn't realize it, but these coupons are good for one gallon of gas at most retailers. I have seen them around, but until recently never took advantage of them, I never realized their actual worth.

You probably have one or two just lying around somewhere, now is the time to use them before they lose their value, and it's too late!!

SEE COUPON BELOW...

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Those are the new "Federal Reserve Notes" that replaced the real currency in 1963.

The final production of $1 Silver Certificates occurred in late 1963. In 1964 the redemption of Silver Certificates for silver coin ended and in 1968 the redemption of Silver Certificates for silver bullion ended.
Production of one-dollar Federal Reserve Notes was undertaken in late 1963 to replace the soon-to-be obsolete $1 Silver Certificate. The design on the reverse remained the same, but the border design on the obverse underwent considerable modification, as the mostly abstract filigrees were replaced with designs that were mostly botanical in nature. In addition, the word "one", which had appeared eight times around the border, in small type, was eliminated. The serial numbers and treasury seal were printed in green ink. This was the first time the one-dollar bill was printed as a Federal Reserve Note.

Thank the the Federal Reserve (which is not a Federal Agency but a bunch of ultra-rich bankers) for devaluing our currency by cranking out more dollars to "stimulate" the economy.

One of the primary reasons for the high price of fuel now.

While your at it thank the EPA and various other Federal agencies that have set to work to bankrupt the country by denying us a realistc energy policy.

This is because we have idiots in Washington DC that care more about their petty agendas than they do the health of our nation (Dem and Rep).

The next two years in this country will determine our future......if you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem.

Westex

Wreckerman, I've got to meet you. Trying to get to one of the rallys, but duty seems to always call. However, when I do see you, remind me to tell you my numerous stories of coon hunts, bluetick hounds and, of course, possums.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks