• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wreckerman's Wood Fired Waste Oil Heater and Possum Parcher

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Wreckerman, I've got to meet you. Trying to get to one of the rallys, but duty seems to always call. However, when I do see you, remind me to tell you my numerous stories of coon hunts, bluetick hounds and, of course, possums.
There are a lot of good folks I would like to meet......maybe the idea of a nationwide SS has to be seriously considered.......held in the center of the country where as many members as possible could attend.

This gives me an idea: Geographic center of the contiguous United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How about it Kansas folks......anybody want to be the lead dog in this sled race?

1995USAFRetE6

Owww... can I watch... can I watch... can I... can I... please! Wait a sec! Hmmm... this is Wreckerman... right? I'd like to watch... (upwind and from a distance)... if I was in the area but got to deal with some storms, alot of rain, and my youngest girl graduating from H.S.! No wonder I'm brain dead. Good luck and let us know how it worked... looks promising.:lost:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
There are a lot of good folks I would like to meet......maybe the idea of a nationwide SS has to be seriously considered.......held in the center of the country where as many members as possible could attend.
This gives me an idea: Geographic center of the contiguous United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
How about it Kansas folks......anybody want to be the lead dog in this sled race?
WM I agree that would be an outstanding affair and I would LOVE to attend it...however...I honestly think it may just be too much to hope for.

My reasons are too numerous to list, but I know you can all guess most of em. (Money, time, fuel, distance, 30-60yr old vehicles, etc., etc.).

Look at the "SE Regional Rally" that has been proposed many times. It already exists!!

Clinto's GA Rally has as many folks from surrounding states and even from NY and other far places etc., as are from GA.

I would love to attend a centrally located rally, but if it were in Kansas...which makes since to me...I would have to fly out...alone...prolly without any of my folks.

Also...if it's gonna happen...please make it soon...I have less and less time between "P" breaks:beer:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
PB....tell the boss to give you a paid vaccation......you could take one big rig to haul an MV or two and POV's for the entourage.

I agree that with distance and fuel costs it's prob a pie in the sky idea....but......I like pie.:mrgreen:

zout

PB - I found the perfect companion for a cross country bike SS rally.

The 43 should be ready by then for the irregular heart beat and medical treatment for just following your companion on the journey.

Fuel cost - solved
Old vehicle concerns - solved

You may wish to start a little sooner than a couple days before such an event - but EH - you will have full medical attention.

Attachments

Westex

Maybe if I could figure out how to heat, treat and filter all of this wmo I got laying around I could get back to Georgia and the South. It's why I lurk here. Maybe we could just create a possum rendering plant if the EPA would let us.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Oops

Maybe if I could figure out how to heat, treat and filter all of this wmo I got laying around I could get back to Georgia and the South. It's why I lurk here. Maybe we could just create a possum rendering plant if the EPA would let us.

You are certainly welcome (back??) to Georgia Sir!!:beer:

However...you may have just "miffed" the infamous Wreckerman with that possum comment!:(
He has some kinda freaky thingy going on there:cookoo::cookoo:roflroflrofl

goodguyzy

I think your sight tube is made of pex, sunlight deteriorates this over a period of a few months and it becomes brittle and will crack easily. 11 years as a plumber, this looks good, but..... fire and oil....please wear a face shield.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Well....an update to the saga of my wood fired oil heater.

I got it all plumbed together and moved it out to where the tote full of WMO is.

The air powered pump I had would not push the oil up into the heater tank (note to self.....stuff you buy at the flea market may not be a bargin) so I switched to my 12 volt pump.

That worked up to a point...the point at which the pressure built up in the tank and the pump would not push anymore oil into the tank......I cracked open the pressure relief valve (located at the highest point in the system) but that caused the oil to come out that opening. I never got over a half tank using the 12 volt pump.

I then opened the drain into the catch drum (lowest part of the system) and the pressure pushed the oil out (it had went through the two filters in the system plus the one on the pump). The oil was fairly warm from sitting out in the sun so I didn't get a chance to see how the heater worked.

I need to figure out how to let the pressure off without oil spewing out.

Any ideas?

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Richard,
I see that set up and can't help but be reminded or a very well built, athough SOUTHERN ENGINEERED STILL !

All it needs is a coiled copper condensing line over the top and the "revenuers" will come lookin' for ya.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n9prNixjbg[/media]

goodguyzy

maybe an auto air vent, the have a float built in and will let the air out but close with the liquid reaches the top. Never used them for oil but should still work, in theory.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Looks like you have a union on your "sight tube" at the top. I'd put a "T" in place of that and a valve on top of that.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Gimp,

I have a "T" on top of the tank......there is a pipe sticking out of it with a cap on it....the idea was that once I had the tank filled I would remove the cap and that would keep pressure from building up in the tank while the oil was heating.

I could relieve the pressure by opening the drain valve but if I did that I could not get the tank to fill more than half full.

The oil is moving pretty good now but as I get to the bottom of the tote it will prob get cooler and thicker.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would run a line from the top of the tank, down the side, and put a valve. Open when filling. That would be your vent. It might not have filled over half way because the pump can only deal with so much head pressure- if your filling from the bottom the pressure the pump has to overcome builds up as the oil level rises. A way to get around that, would be plumb a line to the top of the tank, and fill it that way.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nevermind, I just looked good at the pics and saw that you are filling it from the top. aua

Did you pull that plastic line out of the water tank?

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Did you pull that plastic line out of the water tank?
:doh::doh: Crap.....I forgot that there was a plastic tube in there......it should still allow the tank to fill.....since I'm not planning to heat the oil over 120 degrees maybe it won't melt.

The fittings on top of the tank were so corroded into the tank I didn't want to risk ruining them.......I ended up having to adapte them from copper to galvanized to make it work.

Looks like Mr. Murphy took an interest in my project.:roll:

jamesfrom180

Ferro's comment was all I could think to add to your operation. The vent line should come from the top but making it serviceable from the ground is the best idea. Since you are heating with flue gas I would also think about adding a bypass flue. Lets say some of the old time purposes previously mentioned required alot of temp control. Pots heat better than flue tubes for the 120 to 150 degree range you are looking for. Good luck.:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks