• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wreckerman's wrecker a wreck no more

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Well, I finally got the 816 to fire off today (after several days of rain and mechanical SNAFU's).:mrgreen:

It still sounds like it is mixing concrete due to the valve it dropped when the engine ran away. :shock:

Tomorrow I will take it on a leisurely ride to the diesel doctor who (hopefully) will put it to rights with a minimum of pocket book hemmorage.:driver:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wrecker, do it yourself. You can have all three heads off in around 1.5 to 2 hrs. Piece of cake!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Tim...we may have to deal on the engine....when I told the guy what I needed he grinned and said "drop em' and bend over the desk" :shock: :shock:

Shop rate is 60.00 bucks an hour and he said 20 hours min to take the exhaust manifold and rocker boxes off. The we get to add parts and other charges.

I am thinking it may be cheaper to swap out a good engine and keep this one for parts.

My only problem is I have nothing to remove/re-install engine with.
Even my big Ford tractor won't lift the Cummins.

More news to follow.

1qwkgoat

Tim...we may have to deal on the engine....when I told the guy what I needed he grinned and said "drop em' and bend over the desk" :shock: :shock:

Shop rate is 60.00 bucks an hour and he said 20 hours min to take the exhaust manifold and rocker boxes off. The we get to add parts and other charges.

I am thinking it may be cheaper to swap out a good engine and keep this one for parts.

More news to follow.

Big toys require big tools. Build yourself a nice tall stout A frame.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Is that guy retarded WM?? 20 friggin hours?? Just to pull the heads?:shock:

I think it took Troy about 35 actual working hours to completely inframe-build one of our 3406-D CATS!! The rest of the down time was spent waiting on parts etc.:-D

$60 per hour is about average for professional shop rates around here but I think he padded the time quote by about double. Could be wrong though...
Maybe he can only take one bolt out every ten minutes.:cookoo:

Attachments

G-Force

I know you can figure out how to get that there engine outta there WM......I have all the faith in you......Start using that head for more than a hat rack...... Anything can be accomplished with cookies and sweet tea right????

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get yur log splitter or tractor hydraulics, and plumb them in to run the crane. Remove crane stops for rotation and the truck can fix itself!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I took the beast for a short drive this afternoon, stayed in low range and poked along.
She ran OK but smoked a lot (not blue smoke......prob unburned fuel blowing out).
The mechanic did say I might have got lucky and only have a bent pushrod.
May try to pull the top off the rockerboxes and check tomorrow.

chgofiveo

More news to follow.
I have an idea :idea:
Just use the boom from your wrecker...
Oh ...Wait a minute...Never mind
:oops:

TaylorTradingCo

I have two Cummins motors that are probably locked up from sitting and water running down the stack and into it. They should be great for spare parts like for what you need. One is just the motor/tranny and the other has almost everything from the front bumper to the rear of the cab.

I am willing to make a good deal on them and will consider trades.

Derek Taylor
423-255-6509
www.DeuceTrucks.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks