• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WSUCougarx's M561 Gama Goat Acquisition and Build Thread

m38inmaine

There is transfer case troubleshooting in the -34 TM, but it does sound like something is worn allowing it to slip out. There is a thread here on another member changing one out with some pictures, might be worth taking a look at. The worst part about these machines is the one off drive train components.

combat32

Also check your linkage something could be bent, also the bushings on the shift levers, mine were completely wore out but I was able to rob some off a spare t case I had

wsucougarx

Ahhhh this Goat is going to kill me. Just drive 1,300 miles in the last 23 hours. And I'm still driving:) Picked up some extra transfer cases and parts. Only 700 miles and I'm home.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

wsucougarx

Tooele Utah Parts Trip

Just got home at 0735 hrs today. Left for the trip 1700 hours on the 23rd. So I did 2,000 miles in 38 hours. Man I'm beat! Only got 3.5 hours of sleep over the two days. Got home in time for my son's All-Star game this morning at 1000 hrs. Love it when a plan comes together.

I had a three day weekend (rarity for me) and took full advantage of it. I worked the whole day on Thursday (June 23rd) and got off at 1600 hours. Came home and literally jumped in my truck and made the trip to Tooele, UT. I made the trip alone. The first night I drove to just east of Boise, Id and slept at the rest area for 1 hr 30 min. Then drove the remaining 5 hours to Tooele. Got there and spent about 2-2.5 hours gathering parts and left for home. I didn't stop anywhere but just made tracks for home. I got just outside of Portland, OR and had to get some more sleep. So I parked for 2 hours only to wake up from shivering cold. Drove the remaining two hours home. Just as I passed in front of our house, my wife calls to check on my status. I said my status was front of house;-).

Man, I got to see some more beautiful country that I missed out during my night drive home the last trip a month ago. Now, I don't plan on making this a monthly trip. I just saw an opportunity and took it. I have no future plans on returning unless I need a power pack. My trusty 2001 Dodge Ram Cummins and M101A2 trailer performed flawlessly once again.

Why did I make this trip? To secure a transfer case or two and get some parts.

So, what did I find. I found spare steering boxes, transfer cases, another set of carrier side rails, carrier cargo cover, seat covers, ammo can holder, side mirror arms, spare light switches, gauge cluster, spare tractor unit set of soft cover bows, complete driver seat,

Fuel Log:
Left the house fully fueled
23JUN16
Safeway #1289, The Dalles, Oregon 2024 hrs 14.466 Gallons $2.659/gallon $38.47
24JUN16
Gowen Chevron, Boise, ID 0316 hrs 22.651 Gallons $2.599/Gallon $58.87
Flying J #742 Lake Point, UT 1107 hrs 24.445 Gallons $2.599/Gallon $63.53
Boise Stage Stop, Boise, ID 1954 hrs 27.382 Gallons $2.739/Gallon $75.00
Loves #650 Boardman, OR 2358 hrs 16.333 Gallons $40
25JUN16
Montesano Quick Stop 25.899 Gallons $2.899/Gallon $75.08

Total fuel consumption: 131.176 Gallons
Roundtrip mileage: 1,850 miles
Average Fuel Economy: 14 MPG
Fuel Economy To Tooele (Empty): 14.781 MPG
Fuel Economy To Home (Loaded):

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Good deal, figure it out yet?
Hi Tom, haven't had any time to check her out just yet. I probably jumped the gun by buying the transfer cases. I had an opportunity to head south to Tooele and took it. At least I've got 4 spares now if this one is good. But as we all know, the weakest link in these trucks is the transfer case. I'm hoping it's just a linkage issue.

wsucougarx

PRC-77 RT-841 Radio

Just scored another part for the carrier for the Goat. I'm going with two VRC-12 radios in the carrier. An RT-246a/VRC and the RT-841 (PRC-77). Just got this working/checked radio and accessories off E*** for $150.
For whatever reason, I got up this morning and the first thing that went through my thoughts was PRC-77. I mean who doesn't wake up in the morning thinking about a military radio, right? The 5th listing that came up was this radio. I stared at the screen half asleep trying to figure out why it was so cheap. Was it a static model? Was it just for the accessories? I couldn't figure out why it was so cheap so I contacted the seller. He said it was a checked out working radio. In fact he said it was just rebuilt by the military before being released. I really wasn't the market for a radio. But when you see a price this ridiculous you got to jump on it before you end up kicking yourself in the pants right? So I pulled the trigger.

Attachments

Last edited:

BillIdaho

What am I, chopped liver?

If you were going through Boise, I live about 150 yards off of I84, and could have tossed that radio plate we talked about in your pickup as you drove past.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill, unfortunately I fly back to ID instead of driving. I would have loved to stop by but it's a bit of a haul from Moscow down to Boise on a few days vacation visit. Maybe when I finally move back in 10, 12, 15 years or so.

wsucougarx

What am I, chopped liver?

If you were going through Boise, I live about 150 yards off of I84, and could have tossed that radio plate we talked about in your pickup as you drove past.
Hi Bill, shoot I never even thought about it. I went down to Tooele last month and now this month. Who knows maybe I'll be headed back down next month. Chances are not:) That desert kind of plays with you especially when coupled with sleep deprivation. I won't forget next time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

wsucougarx

Tooele Utah Parts Recovery Trip Goodies

Tonight I decided to unload the bed of my truck. Everything that would otherwise fly out the back of the uncovered M101A2 was placed in the back of the truck. I opted to keep the M101A2 trailer uncovered to help with fuel economy. As anyone who has driven through northern Utah knows how windy it can become. Rather than get beat around and have the M101A2 act like a sail, the M101A2 went commando.
Everything in the back of the truck has a nice layer of petrified dust and grime. Seems a decade in the desert had it's toll on the parts. Luckily, the guy kept all his parts in a covered storage area which consisted of two Gama Goat carriers. He took one carrier and inverted it and placed it on top of another. Pretty ingenious but sad at the same time. It's quite a shame these Goats weren't fully intact. Of course it wasn't his choice. When he won the bid on the 120 or so Goats, the contract was he could take the carriers and any parts off the tractors. The tractors had to be demilled by the buyer via torch.
My biggest catch was the rear cargo cover, ammo can rack, and side doors. These parts made the trip worth while.

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Sorry, he didn't have any other covers. I was looking because I know you guys need them. I was lucky to find this one. It was stuffed into the corner of a trailer with two power packs sitting in front of it. Took me about 30 minutes to get it out. But I did look for you guys.

Another Ahab

Seems a decade in the desert had it's toll on the parts. Luckily, the guy kept all his parts in a covered storage area which consisted of two Gama Goat carriers. He took one carrier and inverted it and placed it on top of another. Pretty ingenious but sad at the same time. It's quite a shame these Goats weren't fully intact. Of course it wasn't his choice. When he won the bid on the 120 or so Goats, the contract was he could take the carriers and any parts off the tractors. The tractors had to be demilled by the buyer via torch..
I understand the reason behind de-milling the breech block of a gun.

But the tractor of a Goat? I don't get that. What's the public threat of a Goat!?

combat32

Sorry, he didn't have any other covers. I was looking because I know you guys need them. I was lucky to find this one. It was stuffed into the corner of a trailer with two power packs sitting in front of it. Took me about 30 minutes to get it out. But I did look for you guys.
Thanks for lookin did he have any more seat cushions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks