• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WSUCougarx's M561 Gama Goat Acquisition and Build Thread

wsucougarx

Winch Installation Cont.

Now if you want to know the definition of fun here it is. Installing the winch shaft boot, installing that awesome hose clamp and then trying to seat the seal in the middle. Now, there are just some things man shouldn't be called to do. This was one of them. If my arms were about 3 feet longer then no problem:p. Mounted the winch unit itself was pretty easy. She was one heck of a heavy unit but we got her on there. Now the next question...should I paint it to match the truck or leave it as is? To tell you the truth, I like the contrasting OD Green with the MERDC. What do you guys think?

Attachments

Last edited:

Jericho

LOL, can tell you never worked a lot of aircraft, If you think that was hard . That's why so many people think they are hard to work on, Try an Afterburner fuel control change on and F -111 A Arddvark Engine still installed in aircraft, ribs in , cowing just slacked open Glad you got it done , looks good !

wsucougarx

VIC-1 Control Boxes in cab rack

I didn't want to stop my momentum yesterday. I was having too much fun with the winch install. So I decided to mount and paint the VIC-1 rack on the doghouse. After everything was said and done, it was 0330 hours before I turned in for the night err morning.
I mounted a C-2742/VRC for the RT-246a/VRC that's going to be in the carrier. I mounted three C-10456 Control Boxes in the cab. One for the driver, co-driver, and one for monitoring via LS-454. The extra C-10456 will be piggybacked onto the co-driver's C-10456. From there, I have a dual speaker volume control box. So I will actually have two LS-454 Loudspeakers off the main radio set for each occupant in the cab. I also mounted an extra set of LS-454 mounting brackets to each side of the engine cover. This will afford the ability to move the LS-454's externally for field ops. The RT-841 (PRC-77) radio set has a speaker cable running to the cab as well. I did this to potentially add an add'l LS-454 speaker for the secondary radio set. Once this is done she'll be just about complete.

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

VIC-1 Operational!

When I installed my AM-1780, I did a quick check to see if she was operational. I got power to her and noticed the power indicator light wasn't working. Rather than spending a bunch of time troubleshooting, I just mounted her and hoped for the best. With a family of 6 (including a 1.5 year old) and sports, time is an issue when it comes to the "extra stuff". I got everything mounted and hooked up to the best of what I recollected from the past projects.
I was finally able to spend a couple hours last night testing out the VIC-1 system. I found most, if not all, C-10456 control boxes are a go. The AM-1780 is a go. The biggest issue I ran into were my headsets. I planned on using the "all in one" H-161 military headsets with the mounted boom microphone. As many of you know, these can be a bit problematic. Not sure if the issue is with the breakaway cable or the headsets themselves. I spent a good hour or so trying to troubleshoot them. So in frustration and for future dependability I ditched the H-161's for the separate components. Luckily I have a bunch of M-80 microphones in a box and had a H-251 stand alone headset. I was able to test most of the boxes using this headset. Everything checked out. I know there are plenty of "better" headsets out there. However, I wanted to stay as close to military as I could. I'm still a couple cables short of a complete system. I need to start the arduous task of tracking down a couple CX-4723's.
I opted to mount the VIC-1 Control Boxes on the doghouse for a couple reasons. 1)Did want them on the dash or off the side. Didn't want to continually battle against them when embarking/disembarking out of the cab 2) The cables with be out of the way and not interfering with driving. 3) Saw some valuable real estate not being utilized. Now it is;-). So this little project will be deemed my "unit level" modification.
So the hunt begins for:
1) CX-4723: Need one 1 foot cable and one six foot cable or longer
2) CG-1773: Need one 22 foot or longer cable

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I opted to mount the VIC-1 Control Boxes on the doghouse for a couple reasons. 1)Did want them on the dash or off the side. Didn't want to continually battle against them when embarking/disembarking out of the cab 2) The cables with be out of the way and not interfering with driving. 3) Saw some valuable real estate not being utilized. Now it is;-). So this little project will be deemed my "unit level" modification.
So the hunt begins for:
1) CX-4723: Need one 1 foot cable and one six foot cable
2) CG-1773: Need one 22 foot or longer cable
Do you have an idea where to find these?

wsucougarx

Carrier VRC-12 Setup so far...

Here's what's going on in the carrier so far. When I decided to mount the radios and AM-1780 in the carrier. I wanted most everything in a small packaged area. My priority is to have seating in the carrier. Rather than comms in the carrier and seating where ever someone could squeeze in. Most everything you see mounted is NOT military prescribed. I just went with my own plans with regard to mounting everything so it could all be centrally located on the double radio shelf. In fact, the radio shelf is actually made to have two KY-57's on top. I modified the shelf to accept the MT-1029. Though not made for the extra weight on top, she's pretty sturdy. I also mounted the MX-7777 under the jump seat using the nutserts. The dual LS-454's are mounted using nutserts as well. So as far as individual components, I have the C-2299 mounted on the rear. With two radios going, the C-2299 is hooked up through the AM-1780. Both the primary and secondary MT-1029's are also connected to the AM-1780. So you can monitor both radios through the VIC-1 System in the cab of the truck. I have a C-10456 VIC-1 Control Box mounted by the jump seat. I though about adding an MT-1898 (R-442a/VRC radio) to the carrier but really didn't see the need. I can just use the RT-841 (PRC-77) radio to monitor a secondary channel if need be. Plus, I really don't want to take up any add'l seat. If I add any add'l radios then it'd probably be along the lines of a GRC-106. But this is well out of my funds right now.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jericho

Check with Evil Dr Porkchop in VT for the cables, last I was there they had a pretty good box of mixed cables, there good guys , prices are good . Just looked on Fle bay, the 4723 was on for an 8 footer ran about 50 bucks ,why so long on the CG , even if you run from your tail antenna base if your radio is in the troop carrier you shouldn't need 20 plus feet, Would a 12 or 16 be close enough ? Ill look I think I have a 12 or 16 spare for a freebie.

wsucougarx

With the VRC12 radios on the port side of carrier, I need an antenna cable to run the outside border of the carrier to the starboard stern corner. I actually just now realized I need two cg1773's. I've got an AB-15 antenna back there as well.

wsucougarx

LS-454, Rearview mirror install

I had a spare side mirror kicking around on my workbench. I figured I'd put it to use as a rearview mirror. I cut a piece of aluminum stock and had a nice mounting bracket. I used the existing hole in the windshield support mount. Looks a bit odd having a huge mirror up there. But figured it was just a spare mirror in storage;-).
I also have been contemplating a good mounting location for two LS-454's in the cab. I had a heck of a time deciding where to place these without obstructing my view, not getting in the way, and not creating more holes than I need. So I mounted them on the two side windshield support arms. I used the LS-454's existing mounting bracket paired up with another mounting bracket. The windshield support arm is simply sandwiched (clamped) in between two brackets. I can move the LS-454 up/down the support arm if I don't like the location. It's not exactly what I had in mind but will serve it's purpose.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks