• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wsucougarx's M923 acquisition

wsucougarx

Roboimpact & Slave Cables

Today I bought a Roboimpact Kit and a 20 ft slave cable. I found a guy who had the Roboimpact tool for sale. He didn't know much about it other than it was a 24 volt system with a military slave plug on the end to power it. I was riding the fence on this purchase because I really didn't know the condition of the Roboimpact tool nor if it even worked. The seller said he'd throw in a set of 20 ft slave cables to lock in the deal. I bit.
So I drove up today and picked up the kit. I really didn't have time to look her over until I got home. To my surprise the Roboimpact tool is brand spankin' new! The slave plug was never plugged into anything. It appears everything is in the kit with the exception of the breaker bar...no problem. My biggest surprise was the Torque Multiplier included in this kit. It has a 1 inch drive on the output side. This ought to break some stubborn lugnuts loose;-)
Guy only wanted $125 for everything;-)
After I bought the gear, my wife wanted to go shopping so we headed over to Family Christian Store for CHRISTmas shopping. I had my daughter in one hand so I was unable to help carry packages out. The salesman helped with our bags out to the vehicle. Once I popped open the rear of the vehicle, the salesman saw my slave cable and asked why I had that. Naturally I pointed to my favorite hoody sweatshirt emblem (thanks to Dale ABN173) and said I collected military trucks. The salesman said oh yah which ones? Deuce and a halfs, FMTV, 5 tons? I was taken back that this guy knew about the vehicles. We talked for about 15 minutes and it turns out he got out of the Army two years ago and his MOS was driving the M939's and FMTV. I will be back to talk to him for sure.

Attachments

Last edited:

Amer-team

Way to go Mike! I found a tough shape hard top. Bought it off the guys scrap pile to get the weather stripping that goes over the passenger side window. have that part off, cleaned up and painted, picked up some stainless steel bolts for the reinstall, and hope to get it on tomorrow afternoon. It is amazing where you find this stuff. I went to one of the big suppliers and they did not have the part so thought it would be made of unobtainium.

wsucougarx

Great find Peter! Who would have thought hardtops would be so hard to find considering how many trucks have been released. Thats the thing about surplus, feast or famine. When there are plenty today, its easy to say I'll get it tomorrow. Then the tomorrow comes and the parts are nowhere to be found. Kind of like the LED headlights right now. Before you know it they too will be in short supply again.

Amer-team

Do you have your bid in on that Hemmett? Was the Robo tool a CL find. That is a great looking set and now you have given me something else to look for. Have you tried it on a lug nut yet?

wsucougarx

I did find the Robotool on CL. I haven't tried her out on the lug nuts just yet. I did drop a few bids on the HEMTT. Then the next thing I know, it's past $18,000. I dropped out.

wsucougarx

Hood Latch Drain Hole & Husqvarna Saw

Well, living in the PNW we get our share of rain. Every time I go to check my oil and fluids, I get soaked with rust water that accumulates in the handle of the hood latch. Today, we put an end to it;-).

Also, I picked up a Husqvarna 375k Saw off CL about 6-8 weeks ago. I didn't plan on buying it but the guy brought it out and said he had this saw thing he wanted to get rid of. Being a sucker for anything green, I bit. Kind of took a chance as it didn't have fuel and I didn't know if it worked or not. I figured $60 wasn't much of a risk. Well, I got her home and fueled her up. Runs like a champ. Looking further into it, apparently this saw is used to breach a chainlink fence or whatever may be in the way. I painted the saw as the CARC on it was flaking off and looked pretty bad. I'll pack this saw away for disaster relief. Not sure what I'll need it for, but I'll have it:p

Projects Completed:
-Drain hole for Hood Latch

Attachments

Amer-team

Neat cutoff saw. That was a good price. I personally like the Stihl version better, but that is a heck of a tool to have in your arsenal. Did you get extra blades? They make blades for metal cutting and concrete, plus you could buy a diamond tipped concrete blade as well.
And if you had a real truck, you wouldn't have to worry about getting water in your hood handle. :smile:

wsucougarx

Haha so true Peter, I wish they made a 5 ton cargo with manual and airshift transfer case. The only thing that held me back from the M39 &M809 series 5 tons were the Sprag type transfer cases. I had really bad experience with one (Sprag) and vowed never again.
I only got the one blade. It's a blade for cutting metal. Man, does that thing throw some sparks. Especially when the operator's wearing shorts;-). I took the air cleaner off and noticed there was not so much as a speck of dust in there. Someday I'll put her to use....maybe. In the meantime, she'll take up room in my already shrinking garage.

Amer-team

Watch the sparks! I was cutting some rebar one day and started sniffing, thinking, smells like something is on fire. So I am looking around and finally look down and I am the one on fire. That is what happens when you wear new jeans to work. The steel and concrete blades are available through most good saw shops and are relatively inexpensive. That tool can come in very handy for some of your fabrication projects. What a great find. You are forcing me to expand my search parameters. :smile:

Danger Ranger

Some call it a "quicky saw". We use one for cutting pvc, tile, rebar, and concrete. They can be used for all sorts of things, esp with different blades. The diamond ones are a it more expensive...

wsucougarx

Got my M923 a buddy today.

JY has been sitting all by his lonesome in the 5 ton corral. Today, I was blessed with another addition to the family. Did I need another truck? Absolutely not, but should my 923 decide to leave me stranded on the side of the road. I'll have something to bring her home with. Top priority for me was a winched M939 series 5 ton. Sure hope everything works on her. Last week, I lost out on a 5 ton in the identical configuration and condition. This week, I was blessed. The best part was she was $3,000 cheaper!!!!! Glad I waited:p And yes, the driver's name on the windshield gave me a giggle or two. My kids thought it was hilarious.
I don't think I will do a rebuild thread on the M925A1 as I will be using this thread to make her almost identical. Still trying to figure out which truck will get the LWS. Thinking about the weight factor it'll probably be the M923;-). Now that I've finally got the 925, I can now try and gather the remaining parts for the LWS.

Attachments

Last edited:

Amer-team

Glad I didn't bid you up on that one. Was looking hard at the 925's, but I don't need another truck really either. Keep us posted if you need a bit of recovery help. I think that was the one with the two low rear tires. Hope they just need air. P

Amer-team

Mike, PS you said something about the weight factor. I think they are both rated to carry about 20,000 pounds. Don't think you will have much trouble which ever one you want to put it on. :D

wsucougarx

You're right Peter, one tire is really low on air and the other looks to be dead flat. Kind of makes me nervous 'cause GL drove the truck about 200 yards on the tires.
I too am glad you didn't bid me up Peter;-). Funny thing is I bought a NOS 5 ton cargo cover kit because the trucks without a cover were going for much for less. Kind of strange this wasn't the case.

Attachments

Last edited:

Amer-team

Hopefully a little air and your problem will be solved. Do they have any air available there or do you have to take your own?
I have been thinking it might be nice to have a truck the is 15 to 20 years newer than what I have, but I don't use it much and mine seems to be running okay.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks