• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WW2 M26a1 tank retriever/transporter ???

Another Ahab

Of all the trucks I have owned and driven there is a very special place in my heart to one day own a dragon wagon! They fill every thing that I want in a military truck, History, Played a very important role in the armed forces, they are pretty darned rare and they are definitely one of neatest trucks I have ever seen! The Mack 123 is very cool because of all the above but the Dragon Wagon is all that and more! I saw one a while back that was pretty complete and running in drivable condition and the guy was asking 40K for it this one is a little rougher around the edges but if you could get it for anything even close to 10K that would be amazing! Good luck it is REALLY worth pursuing aggressively!
KK
Armor holds the throne, but seated at the right-hand of Armor is:

- Armor Recovery

Can't get much better.

Another Ahab

Ran across this by accident looking for something unrelated:

- The WWII German counterpart of the Dragon Wagon.

- Might need to start a stand-alone thread

Anybody familiar with this thing?

Lowboy.jpg Lowboy II.jpg Lowboy III.jpg

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Ran across this by accident looking for something unrelated:

- The WWII German counterpart of the Dragon Wagon.

- Might need to start a stand-alone thread

Anybody familiar with this thing?

View attachment 523583 View attachment 523584 View attachment 523585
That is pulled by a 18 ton half track, the rear has its own powered winch so it can detach from the trailer for loading, the prime mover drops the tow hitch, comes around and pulls the detached rear away from the trailer, then goes around to the front of the trailer where it uses its recovery winch which is under the body of the prime mover and plays out from the rear. Once the tank is loaded the process is reversed for hooking up the rear bogies, then hooks up the draw bar to the half track,

I have a 1/35 scale model of this unit.

Last edited:

Shark Bait

That is pulled by a 18 ton half track, the rear has its own powered winch so it can detach from the trailer for loading, the prime mover drops the tow hitch, comes around and pulls the detached rear away from the trailer, then goes around to the front of the trailer where it uses its recovery winch which is under the body of the prime mover and plays out from the rear. Once the tank is loaded the process is reversed for hooking up the rear bogies, then hooks up the draw bar to the half track,

I have a 1/35 scale model of this unit.
image.jpg

Another Ahab

Maybe a Moderator can break these posts off of the thread, so we don't pull a hijack on BigDawg41:

- want to know how he's doing with that beauty and not miss out!

Last edited:

BigDawg41

Maybe a Moderator can break these posts off of the thread, so we don't pull a hijack on BigDawg41:

- want to know how he's doing with that beauty and not miss out!
Thanks Ahab,but I don't mind.I actually got to stop by real quick tonight to look at this beast,but no one was around the place and light was fading fast.I got a look at it up close and personal and sat behind the wheel.I sat there and wondered how many Shermans this machine had moved.My son asked me if I thought it was overseas in WW2.If only these machines could talk I said,cause we may never know.The owner is still talking about selling it but after looking it over closely it is going to need alot more work than I thought and would be far beyond my capabilities and finances.It will be going up for sale soon and really needs to go to someone with the time and finances to properly restore it.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Thanks Ahab,but I don't mind.I actually got to stop by real quick tonight to look at this beast,but no one was around the place and light was fading fast.I got a look at it up close and personal and sat behind the wheel.I sat there and wondered how many Shermans this machine had moved.My son asked me if I thought it was overseas in WW2.If only these machines could talk I said,cause we may never know.The owner is still talking about selling it but after looking it over closely it is going to need alot more work than I thought and would be far beyond my capabilities and finances.It will be going up for sale soon and really needs to go to someone with the time and finances to properly restore it.
Sure hope that puppy gets a good home somewhere:

- Wonder if Jay Leno could use one to round out his collection?!

BigDawg41

Here are a few more pictures.I will be going next week on my day off to drive this monster and spend a few hours going over it completely.I will keep everyone posted.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M26 tank retriever

I have the perfect spot for that, wonder if I can get Seano11 to drive another truck up here from that side of the map,lol. Found one up here years ago , page 151 on here, http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?62008-quot-MV-Spotted-quot-thread/page151

Even bought all the books so lets keep track of that truck and if we're looking for info on it I have it. The Hall Scott engine has some big fans out there so thank you deeply for taking the time to get the video, ear-some,. They're so rare the trucks should have their own M25/26 Foundation. There was a M25 trailer up here for it that might still be around if we find the right guy to put it all together. Like I said, I have the perfect retirement home for it, just out of the market for it right now.........unless we're trading for a P-4.

Greatly appreciate seeing all the photos.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing:

- Is that a chain drive (bottom photo, second column from the left)

Is that the power train to the axles, a chain drive?!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter

. Yup, same design as used on the Pacific dumps used on the Grand Coulee Dam.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Yes. And the fuel tank looking apparatus above the springs is for the oiling system.

Special T

The wheels are a bolt together style that are very difficult to changewithout destroying the studs. You could replace the studs with grade 8 hardware that you grind the heads to fit, but iw would be spendy. The NDT style has not been in use for some time. There are suitable replacement tires and wheels but neighter are era correct and expect to dropp close to a grand for each tire/wheel in the new style used. They are in current use for large forklifts and small haul trucks I think Smiley's Machine shop had one of these in at his shop (Mount Vernon WA) some time back. I belive it was used as a modified log yarder... I dont know if he kept it to refurbish or if it was a buddies rig.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The saying was that you could always find a M26 by the oil drips left by the chain oilers ! Looks pretty complete . I have a copy of David Doyles book on the "Dragon Wagon" , very interesting read and lots of great pictures ! They look great restored , but LOTS of issues involved , BIG TRUCK = BIG PARTS = BIG PRICES ! LOL , feel free to come by and check out the book , good luck , Bob k

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks