• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM-778 2 1/2 ton Cargo Truck, W/W

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Compared notes with Andrew and the tires are indeed the same as on the m656 series (xm757).
While on the subject of rare vehicles, the tires were also tested on the Lockheed Twister:
lockheed twister.jpglockheed twister (1).jpg

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More images of the xm757 axles.
2007 0710 1000 hrs, Tuesday, hubs painted, steering linkage, front axles.jpg2009 0803 1315 hrs, Monday, steering knuckle boot installed, P7190142,.jpg2009 0928 1800 hrs, Monday, copper air line 4, replaced with plastic, nos goodrich, rear axle, p.jpg

The front axle is FM210 RDAX5
Rear axle; M210 RDAX2
Axle ratio: 6.40, no lockers

The xm778: FC240 RDAX1, ratio 6.72, lockers (according to dash controls)

The two air lines on the hub of the xm757: service brakes and pressurization

citizensoldier

More images of the xm757 axles.
View attachment 588250View attachment 588251View attachment 588252

The front axle is FM210 RDAX5
Rear axle; M210 RDAX2
Axle ratio: 6.40, no lockers

The xm778: FC240 RDAX1, ratio 6.72, lockers (according to dash controls)

The two air lines on the hub of the xm757: service brakes and pressurization
Do you have any close up pictures of the rims/wheels for your truck Bjorn? What's the availability of them? Hens teeth? I am wondering if they could be modified to work on Andrews truck. A few of his are in real bad shape.

59apache

Chipmaker
Doesn't belong here....i've heard about prototypes with a Cummins 6BT..does anybody have infos about?
BTT:
Very nice truck! Congrats!

Last edited:

citizensoldier

Doesn't belong here....i've heard about prototypes with a Cummins 6BT..does anybody have infos about?
BTT:
Very nice truck! Congrats!
There used to a be a person on here that owned one of them but that has been a few years ago. There has been two that I have seen auctioned off on GL.. Very unique truck has a different transmission also if I recall correct.

Jeepsinker

I don't think any custom wheel makers would take on the liability of manufacturing any kind of split ring rim these days. All it would take is for one person to get maimed or killed and they would sure enough be out of business.

If anyone would have some originals, it would be Jack down in Tucson. However, these rims are ten lug, and the ones for this deuce are six lug right? So it won't be a bolt on anyway. You could probably make adapters, but I'm sure you'd have to modify the rims. It might be worth checking to see if you could make some Goat rims fit, even though they are smaller and you'd have to figure out tires all over again. Nevermind, just forget that last part. It was dumb.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks