• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM791 Recoveries

Oldfart

Is there enough material left of the radiator cover to make a pattern for a new one?
My son just dropped by to pick up the neat 24 volt DC 3/4 inch impact wrenches we got from Jeep-Jeep. I asked him about the radiator cover and he said that he had removed it to a safe place because he thought there was enough of it left to make a pattern.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My son just dropped by to pick up the neat 24 volt DC 3/4 inch impact wrenches we got from Jeep-Jeep. I asked him about the radiator cover and he said that he had removed it to a safe place because he thought there was enough of it left to make a pattern.
Great, another hard to find item in the clear. Images below from the TMs, not complicated, but sometimes the details of construction makes a difference.

Could you clarify the "bumper rock guard" question (post #78 above), where are the holes again?

Attachments

Oldfart

Cranetruck, sorry for the delay responding. I have managed some fiddling with the XM791's but the weather and then a raging cold have had me offline for a bit.

The rock guard panel mounting holes are behind the forward headlamps on 0001 and about a foot from the outer edge. I would say, midway between the the back of the headlamp box and the cab tub.

What I did today was to determine the slinger arrangements for both trucks. What we have is 2 fairly complete sling attachments and parts of a third. Enough to equip one truck for sure. Were the sling attachments left in place? (or stowed?)

I am attaching some cellphone photos of the crew names on the windshields. Of the 4 positions, the driver side on one truck is too worn away to tell much other than at one time there was a name stenciled there. I would note that the Windshield on 0001 does not have camo paint so it might be a replacement window off some other truck. The names that I can read seem to be SGT Katvala, SGT or SSGT Harris, and Malone or Maloni or Malont.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know about those extra mounting holes, still looking...

Based on several images, I'd say that, at least, the rear sling kit components were left in place. Check out the images below.
Hope you get over your cold. We have had nothing but rain lately.

Attachments

Oldfart

It's been a long dry spell with the XM791's. So long in fact that I robbed the new batteries out to put in other rigs. But a recent find has me back messing with them again. That and the warmer weather. I managed to find some correct size used tires in a pile of tires when I was looking for some tires for my son's 1941 Autocar. It was a long day traveling, loading and driving back home again, but maybe I will have a set of eight that will hold air. Pictures of the trailer load attached.

Attachments

Oldfart

This 1941 Autocar (serial number U8144-A****) which was in the Army Signal Corps as a K30 or K31

Attachments

Oldfart

Jollyroger has been researching his new truck and it seems there are not very many still in existance. It appears there were only 607 produced from 1941 through 1945. He is chasing rumors of York Hoover van bodies, but it would seem even fewer of those remain.

pverratti

I am new to this site and wonder if there is any update to the recovery of the XM791's by Oldfart? I was in a Pershing Missile Battery in Germany during 1970 and 71. Worked in the BCC Van (the M4 Van on the 791). Normal crew of 5, an EMAS A team member, an EMAS B team member (my job) and 3 RTO's. We received the fire messages, monitored the count downs, armed the warheads and fired the missile. (Glad we never did it for real, just a lot of practice since the 9 missiles had 400 Mega Ton Nukes on the ends.) Attached is a picture of an expanded Van.BCC D73.jpg

Oldfart

I am new to this site and wonder if there is any update to the recovery of the XM791's by Oldfart? I was in a Pershing Missile Battery in Germany during 1970 and 71. Worked in the BCC Van (the M4 Van on the 791). Normal crew of 5, an EMAS A team member, an EMAS B team member (my job) and 3 RTO's. We received the fire messages, monitored the count downs, armed the warheads and fired the missile. (Glad we never did it for real, just a lot of practice since the 9 missiles had 400 Mega Ton Nukes on the ends.) Attached is a picture of an expanded Van.View attachment 623674
Nice photo! I wish my trucks looked as nice. We haven't done much with or XM791's other than look for parts. I have been haggling over an M4 expandable body I found, but we just can't seem to get together (yet). That and we located a Pershing Missile that a museum has, but does not know what to do with it. I have been trying to suggest a trade. While not original setup, I thought that maybe we could use one of the XM791's as a transport platform to show off the missile.

pverratti

Hi "Oldfart"
I think your screen name describes me also. Army TM-9-1427-381-14 applies to the Pershing BCC Van. If you do not already have it, I can send you a PDF copy. There is a Facebook group called Pershing Missile Alumni which is made of up of soldiers who served in the Pershing units. Most are missile crew men, but there are also some other Operations Personnel like myself as well as the Tower Rats (our infantry security) other support units. Perhaps there are member who can help with mechanical info for you.
Phil

Oldfart

Hi "Oldfart"
I think your screen name describes me also. Army TM-9-1427-381-14 applies to the Pershing BCC Van. If you do not already have it, I can send you a PDF copy. There is a Facebook group called Pershing Missile Alumni which is made of up of soldiers who served in the Pershing units. Most are missile crew men, but there are also some other Operations Personnel like myself as well as the Tower Rats (our infantry security) other support units. Perhaps there are member who can help with mechanical info for you.
Phil
Phil,
The pdf of the TM would indeed be welcome as well as contact info for the FB group. Do I just search FB for Pershing Missile Alumni? Given the inside the door markings and such about the Autobaun, I suspect our two trucks were returned from Germany, but have no way of being sure.

Oldfart

Hi Oldfart
I am attaching The PDF file of the manual for the BCC Van. Info on Van and it's contents, but not on truck. That should be the same as a 656.
Phil
Hope this works.
Many thanks, I was able to download the PDF. Very interesting layout. Similar to a wagon style trailer that was used for the previous missile system. I found one of those trailers in very good condition at NCAR, but someone fought harder to buy it than I felt I could go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks