• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM828A2-custom design I'm working on

jh1990

Howdy guys, I'm working on a design of a really long wheelbase 5 ton tractor. My plans call for a M814 cab & chassis or complete. Move the rear boggy/tandem back to end of frame. Replace motor and tranny w/ a big block cummins and a 15 sp. RR. 2 spare tire racks, and a knuckle boom like Bjorns. The wrecker front which, and hopefully a 10 ton which mounted behind the crane. Some engine mods will probably be made, air brakes are possiable, air ride seats are a must, some other odds and ends. Just wanted to hear some feedback besides my own, positive and negitive feedback is all welcomed. Suggestions and welcomed as well. Thanks for the help/suggestions/feedback, all is appreicated.

P.S. I'll try to upload a CAS (computer aided sketch) or 2 on here sometime.

M1075

RE: XM828A2-custom design I

Maybe you could just get a M819. The wheelbase is the same as the M814 and you already have the wrecker front winch, crane, and 5th wheel. A little less work to put it together as well!

jh1990

RE: XM828A2-custom design I

Good point M1075, but my design called for the tandem to be moved back and eliminate the over hang. Anybody know the biggest Cummins motor that'll fit in a 5 ton? Thanks guys.

Bidslinger

Re: RE: XM828A2-custom design I

jh1990 said:
Good point M1075, but my design called for the tandem to be moved back and eliminate the over hang. Anybody know the biggest Cummins motor that'll fit in a 5 ton? Thanks guys.
a 400 BIG CAM cummins is 855ci same as the 250 na that the military used. They used to be known as a poor mans diesel. I have been working on similar project except now I have changed direction and think I will mount axles and transfer case to another truck that was wrecked.

Time has been short because of Ice storm and pulling rigs around.