• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM828A2-custom design I'm working on

jh1990

Howdy guys, I'm working on a design of a really long wheelbase 5 ton tractor. My plans call for a M814 cab & chassis or complete. Move the rear boggy/tandem back to end of frame. Replace motor and tranny w/ a big block cummins and a 15 sp. RR. 2 spare tire racks, and a knuckle boom like Bjorns. The wrecker front which, and hopefully a 10 ton which mounted behind the crane. Some engine mods will probably be made, air brakes are possiable, air ride seats are a must, some other odds and ends. Just wanted to hear some feedback besides my own, positive and negitive feedback is all welcomed. Suggestions and welcomed as well. Thanks for the help/suggestions/feedback, all is appreicated.

P.S. I'll try to upload a CAS (computer aided sketch) or 2 on here sometime.

M1075

RE: XM828A2-custom design I

Maybe you could just get a M819. The wheelbase is the same as the M814 and you already have the wrecker front winch, crane, and 5th wheel. A little less work to put it together as well!

jh1990

RE: XM828A2-custom design I

Good point M1075, but my design called for the tandem to be moved back and eliminate the over hang. Anybody know the biggest Cummins motor that'll fit in a 5 ton? Thanks guys.

Bidslinger

Re: RE: XM828A2-custom design I

jh1990 said:
Good point M1075, but my design called for the tandem to be moved back and eliminate the over hang. Anybody know the biggest Cummins motor that'll fit in a 5 ton? Thanks guys.
a 400 BIG CAM cummins is 855ci same as the 250 na that the military used. They used to be known as a poor mans diesel. I have been working on similar project except now I have changed direction and think I will mount axles and transfer case to another truck that was wrecked.

Time has been short because of Ice storm and pulling rigs around.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks