• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Xtreme 4X4 Deuce bobbed(Spike TV)

DMgunn

Hate to be a downer but you guys need a dose of reality. Extreme 4x4 is a terrible show. They do a lot of unsafe mods and only explain half of what is needed to make complete and safe vehicles for off road.
Good Lord :roll:

There is this thing called time constraints and another thing called entertainment value. Not sure what they call it in "the industry", but you get the idea. They couldn't possibly show even half of what they do - the viewers would be bored to tears. What they do is show the basics, and (I assume) expect anyone who attempts similar mods to have a brain of their own that allows them to fill in the blanks. The end fate of the project vehicles is no different than many other high-profile projects from many other magazines/shows - that is a sad result of the sue-happy world we live in.

This certainly does not make it a "terrible show". I should remind you that you do not have to watch it........

Alex400

Good to hear that they have not been scraped but too bad none of them are being used. I hate to think of the $ value of all of the high end parts stacked in there.
I don't know if you read Peterson's 4 wheel and off road, But a couple of years ago they built a wicked FJ cruiser with dana 60s, a blown motor, and other great mods. They were informed that since it was a pre production truck that they had built up, they had to scrap it. They were really bummed, so they went and beat the crap out of it in the 4 wheeler magazine's top truck challenge. After that they completely gutted it. there wasn't anything left except for the body and the frame. I hope that if that is what happens over at the powerblock shops, they are allowed to do that. I remember that is what stacey did when he was on trucks. He would go out to the lot and there would be this drivetrain laying there, that was out of a horsepowerTV project, and he would take the motor or the trans and put it in one of the other vehicles that he was working.

p.s. Someone is going to say something about that bumper and why they didn't take it off. It was specifically designed for the fj cruiser and the mods that they did for that truck, so it can't be used on any other rig.

Attachments

joeypushjr1

plus you have to think . if they sold it off to the public. these trucks are hard corp off road trucks and what if some novis bought the truck thinking oh xtream 4x4 buiilt it i can do anything and they dont know the firstr thing about off roading . and they hurt them selves. who do you think theyll go after. extream and powerblock and they most likly dont want to spend the time or money wasting in court explaining what this novice not knowing what they are doing bought there truck and hurt them selves. ive gottn alot of great ideas from the show and i use them. i will continue to watch. ... my 2cents :rant:

BugEyeBear

... To be honest, compared to how horespowertv, musclecar and trucks have turned out, i always thought extreme was the best one of the 4.
:ditto:

I couldn't agree more!!

In MY Humble Opinion (IMHO) Ian & Stacy do a great job with their respective shows! I enjoy watching them for the technical advice given, for the creative projects & ideas, and merely for their entertainment value. Allows me to be exposed to some high $$$ builds without getting dirty & without spending MY $$$!! (I already get dirty enuf & spend PLENTY of $$ on MY OWN projects!!)

GUYS, Let's PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE & NOT Bash any of the show hosts here!

Ian & Stacy both appear to be nice guys, and they are OBVIOUSLY "Car Guys" like most of us. I seriously doubt that they have full control of their show's content as I would guess that a delicate "balance" must be constantly negotiated between the show's producers, the network, the sponsors, and various other parties!
EVEN WITH THOSE LIMITATIONS they both manage to deliver shows that are both informative & entertaining!
My hats off to them for managing to consistently accomplish this feat! :-D

Having the Deuce featured on Xtreme is a good thing for our hobby!
If more people are encouraged to modify & upgrade these vehicles then more aftermarket suppliers will make parts & accessories for our trucks.
How great would it be to have a well-engineered dual-zone brake conversion kit available via a retail supplier for a reasonable price!!

I'm looking forward to seeing what Ian does w that Deuce!!
Definitely on the TIVO List!!

stumps

Having the Deuce featured on Xtreme is a good thing for our hobby!
If more people are encouraged to modify & upgrade these vehicles then more aftermarket suppliers will make parts & accessories for our trucks.
How great would it be to have a well-engineered dual-zone brake conversion kit available via a retail supplier for a reasonable price!!

I'm looking forward to seeing what Ian does w that Deuce!!
Definitely on the TIVO List!!
If more folks start buying deuces to convert into Xtreme off road buggies, our hobby will likely cease to exist.

Imagine what will happen when 1000's of off road wanabe fools, with more money than brains, start swarming the streets with their monster army truck conversionss and start hurting people.

We will be in trouble if only because it will dry up our source of cheap trucks.

Double circuit brakes are not worth that!

-Chuck

BugEyeBear

If more folks start buying deuces to convert into Xtreme off road buggies, our hobby will likely cease to exist.

Imagine what will happen when 1000's of off road wanabe fools, with more money than brains, start swarming the streets with their monster army truck conversionss and start hurting people.

We will be in trouble if only because it will dry up our source of cheap trucks.

-Chuck
Of course there are possible PROs & CONs to increased popularity of any vehicle.

It always AMUSES me how paranoid some members are on here about adding new inexperienced owners to our hobby. :rolleyes:

There are ALREADY PLENTY of inexperienced Deuce owners out there today.
Some are smart enough & cautious enough that they prevent anything serious from happening.
Others are simply beyond help.

This is not likely to change much with increased numbers.
You'll get some good new members, and you'll get some bad.

And regarding cheap parts:
-Parts are currently cheap because demand for them is low.
-SO LOW that many parts are being scrapped instead of sold.
-IF these high scrap rates continue, parts will not only get expensive, but will eventually become impossible to obtain.
-More owners = more demand = more parts (and yes, probably higher prices)
-BUT it also means more aftermarket vendors who are willing to engineer upgrades.

TO BE HONEST I doubt this xTreme segment on the Deuce will have any significant impact on the number of Deuces you'll see on the road.
They simply aren't practical for daily transport, are too large for most people's driveways, and get terrible gas mileage.

So your supply of cheap (i.e. undesired) parts will probably continue.
At least for a little while...

mdl06g

I can't wait to see what they do with the Deuce. Love that show... got a little Scout like they just finished.

Any comments on towing that Deuce on a trailer behind a one ton?

MDL

coolnick73

TO BE HONEST I doubt this xTreme segment on the Deuce will have any significant impact on the number of Deuces you'll see on the road.
They simply aren't practical for daily transport, are too large for most people's driveways, and get terrible gas mileage.
I agree. I watch the show and there is no S-10 Truggy or a Jeep Scrambler sitting in my driveway.

stumps

Remember when the movie "Convoy" came out in the '70's? It triggered the CB fad, and had repercussions throughout the entire electronics industry. Everybody and his brother had to have a CB in their car, and that spike in CB manufacture caused crystals to become impossible to get, because the nation's crystal manufacturers were busy making cheap crystals for CB sets. In the end it was a good thing because the CB sets and other radios were forced to use frequency synthesizers instead of a fist full of crystals to make the channels.

The CB craze, fueled by a dumb movie, also rendered the CB bands completely useless for communications purposes. The new cheap CB sets encouraged every mental case with a need to vent publicly to buy a set, and blather endlessly about every little thing that came into their head.... hmm? Maybe that is where Twitter came from?

The 70's also spawned a great fad of 4 wheeling, in part due to the 2 wheel exploits of the "Dukes of Hazzard". CJ5's were everywhere. Every kid and his father had to have one, and they took them out to our national forests, dirt roads, power lines, and unsuspecting farmer's fields and ripped things up. Now it is illegal to drive off road just about everywhere.

In the end, all of these CJ5 and CJ7's driving on hard surfaces showed up quite graphically how unsafe the design was for ordinary highway use. The DRMO guys looked at the crash statistics of the CJ's, and decided their even more unsafe cousin, the highly sprung M151, was too unsafe to sell unless it was drawn and quartered. AMC redesigned the CJ to form the Wrangler. A "jeep" that is much better suited to highway travel. And the CJ's all but disappeared from existence. Insurance companies are very reluctant to insure a CJ5 for normal use.

Deuces are cheap trucks. Even at $6000 they are cheap trucks. They cost nearly $50K in 1969. Look back in the archives at what seems to happen whenever one is stolen. It gets driven through a wall someplace by joy riders.

I don't think it is paranoia when you look at past events and project that experience into the future.

-Chuck

KsM715

I agree. I watch the show and there is no S-10 Truggy or a Jeep Scrambler sitting in my driveway.

I second that. Jp magazine and other 4x4 mags have done stories on the Deuce and has even mentioned GL and how cheap they are. Ive even seen reference to SteelSoldiers with the stories in the mags and you dont see the big rush for all the 4x4 crowd to run out and buy up the trucks. Alot of people that watch those shows are just guys that dream about that stuff but never persue it.

jdmcgowen

Wow guys, easy does it. Now I have another opinion of this show. Yes more publicity, more people interested, more parts being bought up, higher prices. Right now there are pretty good sources for parts, but how many of these parts are actually still being manufactured? Are there enough of us yet to justify manufacturing of the hard to find parts? Try finding a rear wire harness for the m35a2. I may have missed a few places, but they aren't easy to find. It's parts like these that we need to somehow get back into production. Eriks military supply is trying to get the manufacturer to start building them again, but has no idea if/when it will happen. When there is a market, they will build it. Maybe it's too early, but if we wait until we run out of parts, and people start losing interest, they may never start.
Just my opinion. (I'm negative usually, and trying to be optimistic here in these bad times.)
:-D

DeuceNewb

-Chuck

Uhh, people already hunt deuces and the cucv pickups just for the axles. There is a **** ton of those trucks, so don't worry. I know that buy deuces and cucv pickups for the axles and then just sell parts from the rest, even though the trucks run and drive, because the axles are worth so much. Having one show show the buildup isn't going to hurt the supply. don't be so paranoid.

stumps

Paranoid must be on the word of the day calendar. Being paranoid means that you think that "they" are out to get you. That implies a conscious effort on the part of someone (they) to go out and do things to you. I hardly think that applies in this case.

I think it isn't wise to elevate this hobby too far into the consciousness of the masses because if they get interested in the hobby, their sheer numbers will overwhelm the supply of trucks and parts. They will also bring more close scrutiny to the hobby. Especially if they behave poorly, and do lots of silly things, like driving through pools, running over the top of small cars that cut them off, and tearing up local trails.

I have had more than a few of my interesting little hobbies get wrecked by excess popularity. Off road motorcycling was one. When I started, there were so few people doing it that there was no problem finding places to ride. The cheap Japanese dirt bikes hit the scene, and the next thing I knew I couldn't ride anywhere but my own back yard... and not even there because of noise ordinances. Riding jeeps, minibikes, ATV's and PU trucks off road all went the same way. No problem until everyone started doing it.

It isn't paranoia to think that such things might happen. It is a simple extrapolation of the events that have lead other things to become crazes, onto MV's, and perhaps more than a little bit of selfishness.

-Chuck

stumps

I think its just one project that people will like but i dont see this going crazy and killing our hobbies with MV's.
I'm sure you are right. My comment is only to those that are hoping that the popularity of MV's will drastically increase so parts will become more available.

Anything you want for your MV can and will be made right now, if you are willing to pay the price.

-Chuck

Bobert

Jessi Combs needs to come back to drive it. I see she is on mythbusters now though.

These trucks have a limited fanbase. We are just a bunch of oddballs.:beer:

davesgmc

i want to see them crew cab a 5 ton,,,now that would be worth watching!

Actually the deuce they ahve is alredy in progress,,,you guys can only imagine what they are doing...yes, its abobber,,but just wait and see.