• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yaller 5-ton wrecker for sale

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Howdy all. I am a newbie here but I love the site. :) I am posting this because it may save a great vehicle from the torch. :cry: I am located in NE Ala. and there is a gas burner 5-ton wrecker near me for sale. It may be a Studebaker. Here is the history of the truck as I know it:
It was drawn out of surplus by the county I live in and painted a turd yellow color. It sat at the county barn for several years because of parts issues. I first saw it about eight years ago when the county sold it at auction. It sold cheap but for more than I could afford at the time. The old boy that bought it was a wheeler dealer and put it up for sale for 12k. :shock: It has sat at his business since and he offered it to me two years ago for 5k (still more than I could afford). The old boy went to the great junkyard in the sky a few weeks ago :cry: and the estate is being settled. I passed by the business the other day and there was a $3000.00 price on the windshield. I heard through the grapevine that his wife is considering having everything that won't move under it's own power hauled off for scrap. :shock: The vehicle would run at one time but had major brake issues (hydrovac?) He also had another 5-ton wrecker (diesel) that may be for sale now. I would make an offer on it but I have no place to put it and no place to sleep if I buy it (so said the wife). :lol: If anyone is interested post a message and I will try to snap some pics (i have a digital) and post them. My email is wreckerman893@yahoo.com

FrankUSMC

Garbee, great idea!!! if you get the wrecker you could start stacking the vehicles in your back yard to save space.
Good luck my friend.
One of the few, Frank

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I will be going up there this weekend. The truck is on my way to the local flea market so I am going to stop in and shoot a few pics. If I can figure out how to post them I will.
It will be next week before I can post since I can't do it from up there.
It is not a duce wrecker, it has 10 bolt axles. I am a 33 year Army guy, I can usually tell what sex it is without lifiting it's tail :) .
When I was in the active Army I was in Transportation, I enlisted in 1972 and have driven just about everything that has been in the inventory since then to include the M-37, Gamma Goat, duece, 5-tons in all configurations, HEMMETTs, HETTS, PLS trucks, M-915 and 916's plus all the stuff I had to load onto lowboys or flatbeds.
I once had the dubious pleasure of convoying from Fort Benning, GA., to Fort Irwin, CA., in M-915s. Talk about a road trip!!!
I'm going to try a test pic of a wrecker that sold on GL a while back.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool M819! I was only going but the Stude remark, not trying to say you didn't know the difference. Sorry Sir. Very much looking forward to the pics, love wreckers.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
No offense taken at all. I am comedy impaird and joke a lot. There are so many variations of military vehicles that Einstein couldn't keep track. The important thing is that we all agree that this is a great hobby and that we live in the greatest country in the world where we are free to own and operate these vehicles. HOOAH!!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
OK Folks here are the promised and eagerly (I assume) anticipated wrecker pics.

I'll post the best. I did some exploring and found two military trailers also. One is pretty thrashed but the other seems to be original.

Mrs Battles is a motivated seller but when I spoke to her yesterday she said she has already contacted a scrap company to deliver a rollback container. Some of the vehicles will be put to the torch in the near future. There is a lot of non-military stuff to include trucks, cars, trailers, etc. I even saw a large bridge crane that I'm sure is on the block.

I misquoted the price for the gasser. It is $2500.00 (still a good deal in my mind).

The diesel is still $7000.00 but is supposed to be running and road worthy. You buy at your own risk. She might take less if you took both and the trailers.

She still has a couple of guys helping her out that might assist with loading. The yellow one is on a hill by the driveway and could probably be pushed or winched onto a stepdeck lowboy easily.

If you are truley interested email me and I will send you a phone number and directions.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Neither is multi-fuel. The yellow one is a gasser, the camo one has a Mack diesel.
I was told that the yellow one had been cranked about 6 weeks ago just before the owner died. The yellow one still has the foot actuated starter (see pic).

derby

Too bad I am so far away,it would be nice to have a wrecker.I hope someone saves them it would be a shame to see it go to scrap and come back as a toyota! they both look good !!

rmgill

Ok, I'll offer my truck, tools, time and such for anyone in the North Ga Contingent to go get these. Additionally, I'm fairly sure we can get storage space on the backlot of the Railroad Museum in Duluth. The Director I've spoken to supports that.

Mark? Clinto? BFR? Everyone Else? Comeon, storage is the big issue with a truck like this and we can knock that out no problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks